Being by yourself

[Lu...]

When the wife goes to work and the kids go off to school, I really suffer.  The suffering is multiplied when I’m by myself.  How do I get past this?

Distraction I suppose, get out for a walk., read, try to think of it as time for you to heal, rather than bad thing try to turn it on its head and see it a positive if possible.

I wish I knew the answer mate. I've been considering getting a dog, but even the thought of that scares me.

When the wife goes to work and the kids go off to school, I really suffer.  The suffering is multiplied when I’m by myself.  How do I get past this?

Sometimes I don’t even fight the negative emotions. I just let them ride. If I ball up & cry well that’s okay. I’ll put on some podcasts and just listen. Little distractions.

My husband is gone 11 hours a day, so I am always by myself during the day.  I try to find a tv series I like so it's more like having someone in the house you know.  I am not always watching it, but can hear the voices.  ;).  Hope that makes sense.    Mary

Interesting.  I have the opposite reaction.  Wife and kids are good for some distractions but they add more stress, particularly the kids as they are 7 and 9 and I don’t talk to them about this.  And they are fighting 24/7.

Either way, distraction is the best way to fight the demons in my head.  Reading is very difficult for me, not sure if you experience that.  So I turn to TV and also play guitar. 

[33...]
I am with djej2010 in that I like my time alone.  That said, I am retired but I do volunteer work several days a week to stay busy and relevant and to be with other people.  Too much down time makes me feel creepy.

I know how you feel not all the time but sometimes I don’t want my husband to leave the house. If I have to be alone I will call someone and talk or I will always turn on tv for noise and sometimes do watch and I play games on my iPad. Anything to keep my mind busy. I had this feeling about 7 days after last taper. Sometimes I’m fine by myself and other times I don’t want to be alone.

I know how you feel not all the time but sometimes I don’t want my husband to leave the house. If I have to be alone I will call someone and talk or I will always turn on tv for noise and sometimes do watch and I play games on my iPad. Anything to keep my mind busy. I had this feeling about 7 days after last taper. Sometimes I’m fine by myself and other times I don’t want to be alone.

When I feel absolutely terrible, I’ll text some of my friends that know what’s going on. Anything to distract me. I don’t like TV so I listen to music or watch music videos. Above all I pray, pray, pray. Distraction is key. Every single day, even hour by hour we have to struggle and get through it. It’s very debilitating but it’s going to be so worth it at the end.