I do think diet HEAVILY impacts us

[dr...]

For the past year being c/t some symptoms got better, but the mental ones did not let up. Little did i know the OCD type metal symptoms were always craving sugar and processed foods and i believe that has to do with the negative feelings i always get (seriously, i'm not overweight but it was relentless how much i was craving salt/sugar things). I cut out all chips/sweets and caffeine completely the last week and currently have the best window i ever had. All i been eating is different flavored tuna packets and drinking water and sugar free powerade (trying to cut this one out too) and feel substantially better. I also have been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin everyday which some say works better than aleve, motrin, ibuprofen etc. and not bad on the liver. If you're in my case where you feel like you tried everything BUT not fixing your diet, give it a shot. No harm done in trying it. The only vice i can see still holding me back is vaping with nicotine. If i quit this one as well i think i would be back to normal but i'm sticking with this for a couple months to see how it plays out. Doing research into this i looked up how our central nervous system takes a beating from benzos and i think diet is a key factor in repairing this, along with avoiding anything that can rev it up.

I'm so glad that is working for you and you are seeing such noticeable results!  I went gluten-free, dairy free and mostly sugar free for almost three months and could not notice a single difference other than improvements with GI stuff.

[9c...]

I've been craving and eating a ton of junk the last week. I've been eating mcdonalds and fast food and sodas and milk shakes and drinking coffee in the mornings. I added coffee back in cause at this point I don't see much difference whether I drink it or not. I deal with the thoughts and mental symptoms either way.

What are your mental symptoms? I was eating clean for over a month and honestly did not feel any better doing it. I was eating lunchmeat and veggies and fruits and drinking water and I was still losing my mind. My brain craves the sugary and unhealthy junk so I just started eating poor again not caring. I guess my brain sees junk food as its new dopamine fix or something.

I'm glad its working well for you. I might try eating clean again for a week but lately I just don't care anymore. It would be nice to have the weird repetitive thoughts leave if I tried it again. I would be doing phenomenal if it wasn't for the mental stuff.

Hi Dreamer,

I hear ya on the thoughts and eating right.

I have been eating much better and even do 15 to 30 mins of very fast walking on my treadmill every day. 

This i believe, has helped me greatly to handle my anxiety which is the basis for obsessive thoughts.

At least in my situation. 

A healthy diet and basic exercise does wonders for you mentally  and physically including helping you be positive.

Glad you are finding peace.

Hingie

I've been craving and eating a ton of junk the last week. I've been eating mcdonalds and fast food and sodas and milk shakes and drinking coffee in the mornings. I added coffee back in cause at this point I don't see much difference whether I drink it or not. I deal with the thoughts and mental symptoms either way.

What are your mental symptoms? I was eating clean for over a month and honestly did not feel any better doing it. I was eating lunchmeat and veggies and fruits and drinking water and I was still losing my mind. My brain craves the sugary and unhealthy junk so I just started eating poor again not caring. I guess my brain sees junk food as its new dopamine fix or something.

I'm glad its working well for you. I might try eating clean again for a week but lately I just don't care anymore. It would be nice to have the weird repetitive thoughts leave if I tried it again. I would be doing phenomenal if it wasn't for the mental stuff.

I go through cycles in the day where i constantly think negative of something and it's repetitive to the point it brings me down so much i'm extremely depressed and it shifts my mood. It's so out of my character. Looping and looping of scenario's of past events like a "would of could of should of" type thing.

I have been eating healthy for years.  But I always wanted a huge cup of strong coffee every day.  I quit caffeine during withdrawal.  It definitely helped reduce anxiety and GI issues immediately.  I have not gone back to caffeine coffee, and have no problems with decaf.  I gave up gluten for awhile due to GI issues, but now I am okay with that.  I don't eat much gluten, anyway.  Carbs aren't my thing.  I rarely almost never eat white sugar treats, and never pop.  I cook my meals at home.  Today I baked fish, yam fries, veggies for dinner.  I keep it simple.  I know when I do eat white sugar treats, I feel sick and strung out.  I know for sure it has given me waves.  It takes time to move to a healthy eating style, and the benefits cannot be felt in a short few weeks.  Sometimes, you can feel sicker before better if there has been a long history of unhealthy eating.  I think it is worth it to give up caffeine if sleep, headaches and anxiety are a problem.  I love the way I feel when I eat clean, and it doesn't feel like deprivation.  It feels like self care.

It surely does heavily impact us but we're all at different stages, remember that.

If someone is white-knuckling it while their diet is terrible, they will feel much worse and perhaps not be able to cope if they suddenly eat healthily. It's great to recognise the issue and those who are in a position to make changes will see benefits after a month or so (some will feel better sooner but it can take longer). Those who are not in a position to make too many changes shouldn't feel guilty about continuing their current dietary habits if that's what needs to happen. But it's good to make a mental note to change when you can.

It should also be said that it's not the magic bullet in all cases. If you're in severe withdrawal, you're still going to feel bad, but perhaps not for as long when you give your body what it needs to run more efficiently. It might not feel tangible but it absolutely makes a difference.

I believe that how we eat is hugely important too, this might sound silly, but slow eating, drink water while you eat, chew your food and take your time can really help. Id get tremendously lousy sensations from eating, nearly blacking out, heart rate accelerated. this condition can be brought on by a few things, vagus nerve going nuts, etc, and id just say to anyone whose having trouble eating, eat 'gently'. which might sound silly, but it sincerely helped me. eat slow and chill out at meals, eating is actually a pretty intense event lol, and the stomach and such will react accordingly

drink some water right before you eat, drink during eating, try to breathe normally too, hungry eating can result in almost anxiety like breathing where we breathe shallow and fast, try not to gulp down air, chew your food well, give each mouthful its time. overall just eat gently, for lack of a better term

it actually greatly helped me in reducing the symptoms and stress i got from meals, especially dinner. i began to realize that i was putting my system through a lot with my bachelor-like starving man gorging on everything.

Thanks for posting that reminder, Aragorn. Honestly, what you said is something that I know and understand, but I can be a bit of an animal when I tuck into my food! I need to remember to take it steadier because I know that it really does count.

absolutely. I always have to remind myself, as someone who's naturally anxious even before the benzo nightmare, sometimes even basic physical functions id over-exert, thus bringing my heart rate up, my anxiety level. i constantly try to check myself and remind myself to slow down and chill, breeeeeeathe. i, also prone to clenching up my muscles all the time, eating included, so i try to loosen up.

I believe that how we eat is hugely important too, this might sound silly, but slow eating, drink water while you eat, chew your food and take your time can really help. Id get tremendously lousy sensations from eating, nearly blacking out, heart rate accelerated. this condition can be brought on by a few things, vagus nerve going nuts, etc, and id just say to anyone whose having trouble eating, eat 'gently'. which might sound silly, but it sincerely helped me. eat slow and chill out at meals, eating is actually a pretty intense event lol, and the stomach and such will react accordingly

drink some water right before you eat, drink during eating, try to breathe normally too, hungry eating can result in almost anxiety like breathing where we breathe shallow and fast, try not to gulp down air, chew your food well, give each mouthful its time. overall just eat gently, for lack of a better term

it actually greatly helped me in reducing the symptoms and stress i got from meals, especially dinner. i began to realize that i was putting my system through a lot with my bachelor-like starving man gorging on everything.

this is a great point. One of the biggest breakthroughs for me around eating during this ordeal was hearing someone say. what do you do when you eat? i said i usually read or watch a tv episode or chat to friends, but mostly watch something on a screen. He said, dont do anything else when you eat. Just eat!

It was an amazing thing because suddenly i was full after eating the smaller meals and i was satisfied and didnt have a reaction to food as bad. Eating seems to be a global process which is why eating a dinner table with family is so good for our holistic health versus tv dinners so to speak.

After 4 years of experimenting with diet. I got to say, low carb high fat has really been amazing for my symptoms. Also its not just about LCHF, you have to make sure its a whole food plant based diet + meat. Basically all i eat is meat and green vegetables now and i feel the best i ever have. This also seems to have addressed my worst symptoms which was heart/adrenaline sensitivity, constant feelings of heart beat and heart rate spikes