Splitting Doses Workaround (clonazepam)

[Li...]

I’ve read some members find it helpful to dose multiple times a day. I’ve also read there’s a workaround to address coverage issues that arise when splitting doses.

What is the workaround for an individual who is currently dosing 0.2mg of clonazepam once a day at 8pm but wants to try dosing twice a day?

[88...]

If one simply starts taking half does, there can be a slight lapse in coverage.  I've tinkered with this 'problem', and come up with a little math equation that 'seems' to cover the lapse.  The first split dose (I call it the 'Spike Dose') needs to be taken 12 hours after the last full dose, and the dose needs to be adjusted as follows...

SpikeDose = TDD x (0.23 + 0.45 x HL-0.58)

TDD - Current Total Daily Dose (mg)

HL - Elimination Half Life of Drug (hrs)

Here's an equation that can be pasted directly into MS Excel...            =A3*(0.23+0.45*A4^-0.58)

Where the Current Daily Dose (in mg) is entered into cell A3, and the half-life (in hours) is entered into cell A4

Following the 'spike dose', one would simply take half of the full dose every 12 hours.

Running the calculation for 0.2 mg klonopin (half-life of 30 hrs), I come up with a spike dose of 0.0585 mg.  If you prefer a 40-hour half-life, the adjustment is 0.0565 mg.  That would be the 8 am dose following a 0.2 mg dose the previous evening.  Again, following the 8 am spike dose, you'd begin to take 0.100 doses every 12 hours beginning at 8 pm.

I hope that makes sense.

Brilliant!  This makes sense.  I especially appreciate your inclusion of an equation that can be pasted into Excel.  Thank you so much.