Burning mouth issues.

[Th...]

So I’ve been doin my taper for a few months now. I’ve had some breakthroughs withdrawal issues but managed them pretty well I think. Now I’m dealing with what I can only say is burning mouth syndrome. When I take my meds at night it stops a couple hours later. When I wake up it starts again after about 30 minutes of being awake. Some days it’s more “tingly” then others.

I am also having issues with my tongue constantly running the inside of my mouth to the point that the tip of my tongue is now red.

I do have a dentist appt tomorrow to rule out anything else.

Is this something others have gone thru?  I was fine until this last reduction two weeks ago.

If yes, how long did it last?  What did you do to help?

Thank you!!!

I used to rub the tip of my tongue on the roof of my mouth so much that I got blisters on both, I didn't even realize I was doing it so couldn't figure out what it was until I finally noticed.  It was just a response to the agitation the withdrawal produced but once I recovered I stopped doing it.

I didn't have burning mouth though, I wonder if you need to slow your taper down, many have to do this as they get lower in dose.

I used to rub the tip of my tongue on the roof of my mouth so much that I got blisters on both, I didn't even realize I was doing it so couldn't figure out what it was until I finally noticed.  It was just a response to the agitation the withdrawal produced but once I recovered I stopped doing it.

I didn't have burning mouth though, I wonder if you need to slow your taper down, many have to do this as they get lower in dose.

I think you’re right. This last step down was quicker than past ones and it seems to be on that timeline. Thank you for your input!

Hello

I developed burning mouth syndrome at the end up my taper off valium too. I use very gentle toothpaste and Biotene to help.  :thumbsup:

Is this a new normal or something that will eventually go away do you think?  Thank you for your input!

I have burning and tingling in my tongue.

It fizzes which gets worse when I move my neck.

Yes! I have a fizzing feeling too!  I thought maybe it was dry mouth but my mouth doesn’t seem to be dry just like all my anxiety is living there now if that makes sense. 

Hello

I developed burning mouth syndrome at the end up my taper off valium too. I use very gentle toothpaste and Biotene to help.  :thumbsup:

Is this a new normal or something that will eventually go away do you think?  Thank you for your input!

Mine has greatly improved since my first go around with benzos. It really helps using the toothpaste that hasn’t got any sodium laurel sulfate in it and for a long time I used one that didn’t even have fluoride in it.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Years ago when taking Xanax I developed a horrible burning tongue and mouth, and was advised by a nurse friend to taper off Xanax.  I had been on it less then a year.  Looking back I did a fairly rapid taper - my doctor advise me on it and I was done within a month.  I worked through it, and had no real problems at all (which amazes me) and the burning tongue was completely gone within a month of jumping off.  Now I do know it can also can from B complex deficiency, but my problem was totally coming from Xanax.  I find with klonopin , whatever it causes when taking it, gets so much worse when tapering.  But this is a common problem with Klonopin withdrawal also - burning of different body parts.  I’m sure it’s just your taper.  Try sucking on a lozenge with benzocaine in it.  I believe Cepacol puts one out.  The benzocaine will numb the tongue and help you with the symptoms.  Another thing I found helpful was chewing gum.  I don’t know why but it did help. 

• 2 months later...
I have had this since my last week of taper. It came on after an antibiotic reaction. It was horrible at first, and thankfully, it’s lessened over time. I found great relief chewing gum, using gentle toothpaste, drinking aloe Vera juice in water, drinking lemon/ginger tea, eating, and talking. I pray something works for you, needhelp69!

It started for me from reacting to a neihbor vaping across my backyard. Not just mouth but allover me each time he does it. This alo spread to reacting to other things like chemicals, scent oils, even swimming pool ( chlorine).

It's the system being agitated by stimulants.

I have burning during my taper.  I have found sticking to a low histamine diet has helped tremendously.  Benzos interfere with our bodies to control histamine.  So our bodies can react to chemicals, food, etc.    My diet is pretty bland but has been helping. 

Yeah.  If you watch Melissa on Benzo House on youtube, she does a great job explaining this issue with coming off Benzos.