How long to stabilize after reinstatement of Gabapentin

[St...]

How long should it take to stabilize after reinstatement of 300mg of gabapenten after 10 days off. My nerves are alot better and my anxiety is better but my I still didn't sleep after 10 days of hardly any sleep. I feel like my ability to fall asleep is ruined. I need sleep so badly !! I'm suffering.

Modified title to indicate Gabapentin reinstatement.

I’m sorry you felt soooo horrible, you had to reinstate the gabapentin. I’ve never reinstated but I’ve read on this board that it could take months to stabilize. Sometimes people have to go up in dose to stabilize, sometimes they just never stabilize and become paradoxical. Since it did help some when took your dose I would personally just hang tight a bit before attempting to updose. It may take a couple of months but hopefully it works for you and helps! 

I’m sorry you felt soooo horrible, you had to reinstate the gabapentin. I’ve never reinstated but I’ve read on this board that it could take months to stabilize. Sometimes people have to go up in dose to stabilize, sometimes they just never stabilize and become paradoxical. Since it did help some when took your dose I would personally just hang tight a bit before attempting to updose. It may take a couple of months but hopefully it works for you and helps!

please don't say that, I need encouragement big time . I don't have months. I can't make it hours let alone days.

I didn’t mean to upset you with that so I apologize. I was just informing you on situations I have read about. Each person reacts differently that’s why there are so many possibilities. It apparently has already started working on some symptoms so maybe it won’t take that long for you. With each person reacting differently to everything during this time no one really knows how long it will take. Since you reinstated within a very short time of coming off hopefully it won’t take too long.

Terrydoo,

I wrote a reply on your other thread about reinstating. Here's the jist...

After a rapid withdrawal of benzos and reinstatement it seems to take days to weeks to stabilize, sometimes requiring a larger than previous dose to feel similar to before the cut; it all seems to depend on how long you were waiting to reinstate and how bad the withdrawal was. I'd give it a few days to a week to feel better, and don't expect a total return to your previous benefits. If you want off, maybe wait 2 weeks to a month to stabilize then taper; if you want to stay on, you might need to talk to your doctor about titrating up slowly until you can sleep as before. It's all up to you, your situation, and your patience. I want to clarify, I don't know gabapentin personally; I'm just referencing similar patterns with benzo withdrawal.

I'm glad to hear your anxiety and nerves are better. If you aren't already, now's a good time to up your "sleep game"; weighted blankets, dark room, quiet room or white noise machine, guided meditations, regular bed time, and perhaps (I'm no doctor) a mild but REGULAR dose of melatonin (I like the liquid variety as I'm very sensitive and only need 3-5 drops (0.3-0.5mg). Breathing calmly, stretching, maybe sleeping with your clothes on; whatever it takes. Your body WANTS to sleep; it will get there eventually if you give it a chance.

Paxia is right and she really means the best for you; there's no clear timeline to ease your anxiety right now. Your best tool is hardwired into your genetics: adaptation. Make the best of this situation. You can do this! Your body is healing!

I will say this last thing: the only cure I've ever found for anxiety is surrender. If you can accept your circumstance, you will feel better. It's hard to do, I'm really struggling to surrender today in fact; but it works. Adapt. Surrender. You can do this.

I take Gpn as needed for accident related damage, -pretty rare these days (few days a yr)..

I feel it pretty quick, less than an hour, and its helping nerve pain as best it will by 2hrs.. I have to dose about 8hrly or it fades out by 10-12hrs..

*How often do you dose..? -Do you just want it for at night to sleep..?

For me, I didnt notice it help for sleep, but that doesnt mean much for someone else..

What I did find was benzo wd, esp post jump, really watered its effectiveness down, and this continues.. But again Iv got a bit going on...

My guess would be the benzo wd and history dominates, even if behind the scenes..

More might help, -or not so much, but I suspect an increase might just be masking benzo stuff, and thats a decision in and of itself..

Hope that helps a little..

:)

I tapered off gabapentin a month after benzo taper completed.  I waited 2 weeks, then took 5 weeks to taper off 300 mgs used for sleep once in the evening.  Did you taper it?

You will be ok.  Sleep will return.  Perhaps ask your dr if you can take 400? 

I practice sleep hygiene:  dark cool room, routine bedtime, eye mask, white noise, weighted blanket, sleep meditation.  I take magnesium before bed.  I also take amino acids at night: tryptophan,  l-theanine. 

Can you access the Calm channel?  So many guided meditations and sleep stories there. 

Learning to sleep without meds is possible.  Meanwhile, use this time back on gabapentin to practice the tools you will need when all the meds are gone.

No med is perfect.  It may or may not work now that you have become used to it. 

I tapered off gabapentin a month after benzo taper completed.  I waited 2 weeks, then took 5 weeks to taper off 300 mgs used for sleep once in the evening.  Did you taper it?

You will be ok.  Sleep will return.  Perhaps ask your dr if you can take 400? 

I practice sleep hygiene:  dark cool room, routine bedtime, eye mask, white noise, weighted blanket, sleep meditation.  I take magnesium before bed.  I also take amino acids at night: tryptophan,  l-theanine. 

Can you access the Calm channel?  So many guided meditations and sleep stories there. 

Learning to sleep without meds is possible.  Meanwhile, use this time back on gabapentin to practice the tools you will need when all the meds are gone.

No med is perfect.  It may or may not work now that you have become used to it.

I didn't taper. The Dr dropped me off at 300mg cold turkey. I do practice good sleep hygiene. What you said sounds exactly like my room and my routine. Weighted blanket, eye mask, cool dark room. I reinstated and I'm trying to stabilize. I will be at 600mg. Dr is not helping me because it takes too long to get in to see him. I'm flying blind and scared about treating myself.

Okay, good you are doing all that.

I see you recently stopped benzos after a rapid taper, then stopped gabapentin at too high a dose.  Is that right?  So this problem is likely a combination of both meds being stopped.

So, reinstating the gabapentin is okay in my non medical opinion.  Stabilize at 600, and try not to increase anymore than that.  Then wait.  Taper.  Go down 50 mgs or 100 mgs at most and go slow.  No rush.

I think you will be okay and find your sleep again.

Please don't be afraid.  You will achieve success with getting away from the meds. 

I see you recently stopped benzos after a rapid taper, then stopped gabapentin at too high a dose.  Is that right?  So this problem is likely a combination of both meds being stopped.

So, reinstating the gabapentin is okay in my non medical opinion.  Stabilize at 600, and try not to increase anymore than that.  Then wait.  Taper.  Go down 50 mgs or 100 mgs at most and go slow.  No rush.

Please don't be afraid.  You will achieve success with getting away from the meds.

I really appreciate the sound advise. I'm hoping to get some sleep soon. I'm hoping that I stabilize soon. I'm only on the second dose after reinstatement. I only have 5 pills at the moment so I have to call and beg the Dr to give me some or I'm in trouble.

I really appreciate the sound advise. I'm hoping to get some sleep soon. I'm hoping that I stabilize soon. I'm only on the second dose after reinstatement. I only have 5 pills at the moment so I have to call and beg the Dr to give me some or I'm in trouble.

Why won’t your doctor refill your RX?

Why won’t your doctor refill your RX?

because I'm supposed to be done with it. He doesn't know that I reinstated.

Can you call him and let him know that you reinstated and have him call in a refill for you?

I think I'm paradoxical because I'm not feeling very good , still not sleeping and agitated and having anxiety and can't eat. My right shoulder keeps going numb.