Going from Ativan to Klonopin

[An...]

My goal is to substitute Ativan for Klonopin. Doing some brief research I see I need around 0.5 MG of Klonopin. Currently working on substitution protocol. Any help would be appreciated.  :)

It looks like you're currently taking 5 mgs of Ativan each day, according to the equivalency chart we use the cross to Klonopin would be 2.5 mgs. https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm  Do you have a Dr willing to prescribe that much Klonopin?

You'll probably want to combine a couple of your doses of Ativan as you make the switch because you won't need to dose as many times each day because Klonopin's half life is longer.

You might want to take a couple of weeks at least to make the cross since it takes Klonopin longer to build up in your system, we wouldn't want you to be at a deficit.

I already have the Klonopin prescribed and my doctor said I could start when I’m ready. I’m starting tonight so I figure I will start Klonopin with 0.125 and decrease Ativan by 0.25 and double these numbers every day until crossover is complete. Using these numbers it will take 20 days to complete the crossover.

Is my math right? Ativan has made me slow and forgetful. :(

Your math looks correct to me, are you planning to reduce the number of times a day you dose and if so, how?  I've had other members ask this question so I'm wondering how you're going to address it.

I will continue to dose 5x per day and when off the Ativan consolidate the Klonopin to 4x per day. Luckily Klonopin goes down to 0.125 ODT tablets so during the entire taper schedule I’ll move from 0.5 ODT to 0.25 ODT + 0.125 ODT to 0.25 ODT to 0.125 ODT to 1/2 0.125 ODT to 1/4 0.125 ODT at which point I’ll remove one dose every week until completed.

Week 1 0.5 ODT 5x = 2.5

Week 2 0.25 ODT + 0.125 ODT 5x + (0.125 x 3)= 2.25

Week 3 0.25 ODT + 0.125 ODT 5x + (0.125 x 1)= 2.0

Week 4 0.25 ODT + 0.125 ODT 5x = 1.875

Week 5 to 0.25 ODT 5x + (0.125 x 2) = 1.5

Week 6 0.25 ODT 5x = 1.25

Week 7 0.25 ODT 4x + (0.125 X 1) = 1.125

Week 8 0.25 ODT 4x = 1

Week 9 0.25 3x ODT + (0.125 X 1) = 0.875

Week 10 0.125 ODT 4X = 0.5

Week 11 0.125 ODT X 3 = 0.375

Week 12 0.125 ODT X 2 = 0.25

Week 13 0.125 ODT x 1 = 0.125

Done

I'm concerned about your plan for 2 reasons, the first is that since it takes longer for Klonopin to build up in your system due to the longer half life, I'm worried you'll be left with a deficit of coverage.  It might be better to cross over certain doses while leaving the Ativan in place for others.

The second is your plan is very aggressive, your first reduction from 2.5 mgs Klonopin to .875 is a 35% reduction, we typically advise a 5-10% reduction in your dose.

Lastly, we suggest tapers be flexible so that you can adjust as your symptoms dictate, this will hopefully allow you to remain functional as you taper.  This after all is the goal, to successfully taper while living your life.

Week 1 I’m leaving 0.25 mg Ativan x5 then after week 1 I drop all Ativan. Using 0.5 mg of Klonopin to build up an overage then drop it to the equivalent. I’ve calculated based on my previous tapers of Klonopin that 0.375 mg of Klonopin is equal to 1 mg of Ativan. I’ve calculated in the variance of brand vs. generic. Here in the USA generics are ~25% weaker so the Ativan is really 0.75 and the Klonopin is brand name ODT manufactured in the USA. The variance between generic and brand can be 25% either way. Source: my psychiatrist.

I do not expect to remain functional, I will be remaining at home and mostly in bed and around the house because I am suffering from SIBO, IBS and some spine troubles. Sadly, my life is on hold because of those problems.

I’m also increasing my CBD/CBDV dosage to help with any mental side effects and increasing CBG to inhibit gaba reuptake.

I hope this makes sense.  :)

Interesting approach, I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress, I've never seen this method employed.  As for the issue of generic versus brand your Dr has stated, I've not heard that validated or supported through citations by other members so I'll leave that to you and your Dr.

I realize you have taper experience so you know what to expect but are you aware that most members experience symptoms after they're completely off of benzo's, I'm worried your rapid taper will not only cripple you as you taper but after as well.  This is a post a member did and others have found it useful. Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

It sounds like you're prepared for what comes next, I'm sorry to hear you're faced with other issues as well.  You might like to pop into this thread, it sounds like you have some interest in CBD and other remedies. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165140.0

I'm glad you're going to allow yourself some wiggle room, its so important to listen to what your body is communicating to you in terms of symptoms.  I look forward to your progress and hope you'll reach out on the withdrawal support board if you have concerns.

Interesting approach, I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress, I've never seen this method employed.  As for the issue of generic versus brand your Dr has stated, I've not heard that validated or supported through citations by other members so I'll leave that to you and your Dr.

I realize you have taper experience so you know what to expect but are you aware that most members experience symptoms after they're completely off of benzo's, I'm worried your rapid taper will not only cripple you as you taper but after as well.  This is a post a member did and others have found it useful. Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

It sounds like you're prepared for what comes next, I'm sorry to hear you're faced with other issues as well.  You might like to pop into this thread, it sounds like you have some interest in CBD and other remedies. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165140.0

Thanks I’ll check the resources. My previous Klonopin taper was aggressive, 4 mg to 0.125 in just 6 weeks. My symptoms are mainly psychological and I’ve never had a physical withdrawal symptom. Likely this is because of diet and supplements like cannabis and specific digestive enzymes that produce gaba as well as lemon balm (a gaba booster), tumeric, ginger, etc. I’m past day 1 and almost 24 hours into only .25 mg Ativan x5. Th transition is going great, less sleep but I was sleeping too much. Will continue updates.

I hope you've tapped into a winning strategy, I'm always glad when a member can get through this process with relatively little discomfort.  I'm glad you're going to keep us posted.