Should I reinstate

[St...]

Should I reinstate Gabapentin, I'm 10 days off and experiencing mania and anxiety horribly. My wife is about to commit me. I've already been to the ER and they can't help me. I cannot handle this anymore.

I don't have any experience with Gabapentin but it appears it was helping you with the Klonopin withdrawal symptoms, it might not be a bad idea to reinstate.  When you're ready to come off of it I highly recommend tapering it as I've seen others do.

What did your Dr. say about all of the withdrawal symptoms?

My Dr. said to take hydroxyzine for the anxiety and use melatonin for the insomnia. Neither work very well and I haven't slept for 10 days. The ER dr. said that it's impossible that I'm in withdrawals and that I have an underlying condition. Dr.s are useless.

My withdrawals from gabapentin peaked at day 7 and lasted for about 3 weeks at high intensity before I finally got a tiny window in the evening lasting a couple of hours in week 4. What dose did you jump from the gabapentin?

What did your Dr. say about all of the withdrawal symptoms?

My Dr. said to take hydroxyzine for the anxiety and use melatonin for the insomnia. Neither work very well and I haven't slept for 10 days. The ER dr. said that it's impossible that I'm in withdrawals and that I have an underlying condition. Dr.s are useless.

:'( :'( :'(

I'm sorry!

I think u may have came off gabapentin to early? Not sleeping will send you into a crazy mind state. That's why people into stimulant drugs like meth start to see things and feel nutty because they haven't slept. I think I would reinstate but at a bit lower dose than you use to take. If you still feel this way after reinstating possably get the help u need if you need to stay at the hospital.  I'm going through hell myself tapering off Klonopin. I think u should taper slower next time

My withdrawals from gabapentin peaked at day 7 and lasted for about 3 weeks at high intensity before I finally got a tiny window in the evening lasting a couple of hours in week 4. What dose did you jump from the gabapentin?

300mg but I'm super sensitive to drugs and my sleep is sensitive.

I had to go cold turkey off of gabapentin after using it for a year. I was only on 100 mgs but it definitely caused me to have withdrawals which are finally starting to improve 3 weeks out. I had to stop the drug because of an allergic reaction but I'm very happy I did because it's not a great drug. I think you should start to feel better if you give it time but it depends on how severe your symptoms are as well. My symptoms were chills, shakes and teeth chattering, alternating freezing cold and boiling hot, sleep issues, brain fog, feeling flu like symptoms and severe headaches and anxiety. Most of that stuff backed off in the first week or two. I still have dizziness and mild symptoms but things are better.

Terrydoo,

I'm sorry you're struggling. I hope your wife will be patient while you stabilize.  :-\

It definitely sounds like you're taking things too fast; I know gabapentin really helps people with anxiety and sleep when they're on it. If you're off it suddenly, and not sleeping... looks pretty obvious to me.

I'm new to all this benzo business, but I'm on my third attempted taper. Gabapentin was prescribed to me, but EVERYONE besides my primary doctor said not to take it; every psychiatrist, every psyche nurse, everyone. As you probably know, it has "severe withdrawal" symptoms, so cold turkey is not a good idea. Just my two-cents, but I would re-instate ASAP and slow taper! I was given 600mg pills and told to take 3 per day! But 300mg is not a tiny dose by any means; it could take a while to make a full recovery.

Hang in there! Ask around; other people on here have tapered gabapentin; don't rush it!

I wish you sleep and recovery. You can heal!  :smitten:

I had to go cold turkey off of gabapentin after using it for a year. I was only on 100 mgs but it definitely caused me to have withdrawals which are finally starting to improve 3 weeks out. I had to stop the drug because of an allergic reaction but I'm very happy I did because it's not a great drug. I think you should start to feel better if you give it time but it depends on how severe your symptoms are as well. My symptoms were chills, shakes and teeth chattering, alternating freezing cold and boiling hot, sleep issues, brain fog, feeling flu like symptoms and severe headaches and anxiety. Most of that stuff backed off in the first week or two. I still have dizziness and mild symptoms but things are better.

How did you deal with the insomnia.

Edit: Modified title to indicate Gabapentin reinstatement.

300mg but I'm super sensitive to drugs and my sleep is sensitive.

I jumped from 300 as well per my doctor. Horrible mistake. I’m 5 months out now so I can’t reinstate. I’m just pushing through it now. It really is a beast of a withdrawal!  My gabapentin withdrawal is going to last awhile!  To me it’s worst withdrawal out there!  It’s so intense! 

Terrydoo, did you reinstate? It sounds like it from your post, but it's not clear. Reinstating from cold turkey sooner rather than later is often the best course of action, I understand.

After a rapid withdrawal of benzos and reinstatement it seems to take days to weeks to stabilize, sometimes requiring a larger than previous dose to feel similar to before the cut; it all seems to depend on how long you were waiting to reinstate and how bad the withdrawal was. I'd give it a few days to a week to feel better, and don't expect a total return to your previous benefits. If you want off, maybe wait 2 weeks to stabilize then taper; if you want to stay on, you might need to talk to your doctor about titrating up slowly until you can sleep as before. It's all up to you, your situation, and your patience. I want to clarify, I don't know gabapentin personally; I'm just referencing similar patterns with benzo withdrawal.

I'm glad to hear your anxiety and nerves are better. If you aren't already, now's a good time to up your "sleep game"; weighted blankets, dark room, quiet room or white noise machine, guided meditations, regular bed time, and perhaps (I'm no doctor) a mild but REGULAR dose of melatonin (I like the liquid variety as I'm very sensitive and only need 3-5 drops (0.3-0.5mg). Breathing calmly, stretching, maybe sleeping with your clothes on; whatever it takes. Your body WANTS to sleep; it will get there eventually if you give it a chance.

I hope this helps!  :smitten:

I took hydroxidine. I think that's how you spell it. It's an antihistamine but it makes you sleepy. I took 25 mg at night. I'm still taking it at night but just a half a pill now. I also take 1 mg of melatonin. I take magnesium and calcium and vitamin d in the morning. Keep in mind that what helps me might not help you but this is what I use.

I took hydroxidine. I think that's how you spell it. It's an antihistamine but it makes you sleepy. I took 25 mg at night. I'm still taking it at night but just a half a pill now. I also take 1 mg of melatonin. I take magnesium and calcium and vitamin d in the morning. Keep in mind that what helps me might not help you but this is what I use.

I have hydroxyzine but it took it last night and between it and the Gabapentin , I got really dizzy.

I have hydroxyzine but it took it last night and between it and the Gabapentin , I got really dizzy.

Because it’s an anti histamine. Go to google and type in drug interactions with hydroxyzine and gabapentin.  Dizziness is one of them.

I think jumping off 300 mg of gabapentin was too much.  Go much lower in dose to stop.  It comes in liquid so you can get very low in dose slowly.

You also are likely in benzo withdrawal.  I think much of your struggle is from rapid withdrawals from benzos, too.

I jumped off gabapentin at 100 and had almost no issues. 

When reading about this drug, know that everyone has different experiences. 

I think jumping off 300 mg of gabapentin was too much.  Go much lower in dose to stop.  It comes in liquid so you can get very low in dose slowly.

You also are likely in benzo withdrawal.  I think much of your struggle is from rapid withdrawals from benzos, too.

I jumped off gabapentin at 100 and had almost no issues. 

When reading about this drug, know that everyone has different experiences.

I think I'm paradoxical and am not feeling very well. I can't eat , sleep and my right shoulder keeps going numb.

• 3 weeks later...

Stopping gp 300mg like that is like cold turkey 20mg Valium. Or 2mg xanax. Dang drugs. Hang in there. It's so hard.

Hi healing heart,

Making claims of equivalency between drug classes will need citations from credible resources, please provide references, thanks.

Pamster

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following this cuz i have to do something.  If I can sleep I function some, if not I am just this incredible trembling mess.

Lyrica used to give me a night or so of sleep (50 mg), now does not work since covid vac, part I (probably not getting part 2).

Melatonin works for a night or so, then it does not and feel awful.

My sleep game so sucks.