Quick taper question

[...]

Hi all

Just wondering if an unexplainable lessening of withdrawal symptoms very late in a taper points to anything

I had my only really intense and persistent withdrawal experience after cutting down from 1.0 to 0.6mg. of my Benzo, Clobazam, but after cutting from 0.6 to 0.3 a fortnight later, I only experienced a few days of (managable) symptoms, and the quality felt somehow different.

{1mg. of Clobazam is apparently equivalent to 0.5mg. of Valium, so you get the idea...}

So has anyone read or experienced anything like this, and have things still gone badly after 'jump off'? I've been at the last dose (0.3mg.) for a fortnight now, so I have at most 1 more cut to go before I jump.

All advice appreciated 🙂

I've found in my time here that your taper is an indicator of how things will be when you finally reach the end, if you're experiencing a lessening of symptoms this bodes well for your post benzo journey.  I'm very hopeful your situation is following my reasoning, I have a feeling you're going to be and are in very good shape, I'm very happy for you.

Pato

Just so you know 1mg of Clonazepam is equivalent to 20 mg of Valium, according to Ashton.

Other calculators show that it is equivalent to 10 mg of Valium, it's hard to know as everyone metabolizes it differently etc.

So 0.3 mg of is anywhere from 6 mg of Valium or 3 mg of Valium.

Most people tapering Clonazepam take it down to at least 0.025 Clonazepam, as that is around 0,5 mg Valium

I would hate to see you get in a bad situation, by taking it lower you ensure a softer landing with minimal issues.

not sure if this helps you decide what to do.

I don't know the details of your personal situation. I took Clonazepam for 2 weeks 15 years ago and stopped no problem etc.

So as you're saying you have minimal symptoms, you might be fine, I just wanted to make sure you have all the facts before you proceed.

Winnie

Pato

Just so you know 1mg of Clonazepam is equivalent to 20 mg of Valium, according to Ashton.

Other calculators show that it is equivalent to 10 mg of Valium, it's hard to know as everyone metabolizes it differently etc.

So 0.3 mg of is anywhere from 6 mg of Valium or 3 mg of Valium.

Most people tapering Clonazepam take it down to at least 0.025 Clonazepam, as that is around 0,5 mg Valium

I would hate to see you get in a bad situation, by taking it lower you ensure a softer landing with minimal issues.

not sure if this helps you decide what to do.

I don't know the details of your personal situation. I took Clonazepam for 2 weeks 15 years ago and stopped no problem etc.

So as you're saying you have minimal symptoms, you might be fine, I just wanted to make sure you have all the facts before you proceed.

Winnie

Hi Winnie, Pato is taking Clobazam which is roughly half the strength of Valium, Ashton lists it as 20 mgs is equivalent to 10 mgs Valium.

Oh my goodness, my mistake!!!

My bleary eyes this morning didn't see the difference.

Thanks for the catch Pamster, I just didn't want to see him get into trouble.

Pato - disregard what I said, sounds like you're doing awesome!!

I'll read closer nest time

Sorry, Winnie

That's cool Winnie - I remembered straightaway that literally everyone thinks "Clobazam" is a typo of 'Clomazepam'  8)  Thanks all

Although there's a couple of factors potentially working against me, my Benzo use at a low therapeutic (anti-anxiety) dose didn't last long {See subscript} - I guess I'll just hope that the symptoms don't get much worse - apart from being a bit more persistent ...

Nooo - Last dose was in April 2020; never again.

I like how you managed to put a line under my sig/subscript by the way!

On the subject of sleep, I'm wondering about occasional use of a low/sedative (~4mg.) dose of Mirtazapine (which as you might have guessed has helped me sleep on occasion) while going into and coming out of 'Acute' and potentially one or two big waves. These doses gives me three good nights' sleep in a row, but hopefully I'd use it mainly for peace of mind - i.e. I'd hardly use it, if at all, and reserve it for the very worst insomnia given the likelihood of 'combined withdrawal' symptoms.

I notice Gabapentin and similar drugs can help with sleep if used occasionally, but again, I'm suspicious. These drugs sound similar to, and worse than, Benzos in every way, and I don't foresee coming by any unless I'm desperate for occasional alternative relief from insomnia.

On the other hand, the only reason I've slept for less than 4 hours on any day/night since I began tapering (apart from when I've used Mirtazapine more than once a week and suffered inter-dose withdrawals) is anxiety. Maybe some CBD oil could better help every so often. What do people think?

Sorry I've slipped into being a bit long-winded, but sleep is my biggest concern about the post-taper stages of Withdrawal. I'm really grateful for all advice.

LAST EDIT...

Glad to know you're off the Zopiclone, we have many members suffering because of it, it looks to me like its the worst of the z-drugs. 

I don't have experience with the drugs you've mentioned but I've seen many discussions about them on the Other Medications board, you might want to do a search or start a thread there. 

One more question: I was experiencing complete lack of symptoms (i.e. 'normality') at the ends of the fortnightly taper stages. Do I take it that the same symptoms will just stay at a high level for a month or two before gradually starting to fall back? ...

I wish I could answer your question with any certainty but I've learned to expect the unexpected when it comes to benzo's.  What I read here helps me to predict things in general terms but I don't dare be too specific, it never works out.  The only thing I can say is the fact that you're experiencing periods of normality is very encouraging and I'm pleased with your progress.

I actually mis-wrote my question - I meant to ask if I would definitely likely a steady high level of symptoms for a couple of months, but the way I worded it sounds like I meant the opposite! Par for the course with cognitive issues I'd imagine ...

Your response answers my intended question as well I guess - Many thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let people know I'm doing OK after almost three weeks off the Benzo - I certainly wanted to know if other people with my level of "Benzo experience" were! I think made the taper sound easier than it was, as there was a particularly rough patch at 3-4mg. (like the one people sometimes hit with Valium), so I'm relieved.

I do have a kind of 'background dread' some of the time, but of course there's no longer that specific dread *of withdrawal* that compounds things for so many.

On the other hand, perhaps there's a sort of 'war footing' mode that clicks on in our heads during Withdrawal, just to numb the strain while keeping the mind prepared at the same time. Maybe that's partly why some people only experience mild to moderate issues during a taper, but then experience either somewhat worse or just greater strain and irritation for a while after it ends.

I'd imagine things can stay wherever they are for a while after the peak of chemical/'acute' withdrawal, but mental health is probably still something to watch however mild the final withdrawal experience. Other health, work and family concerns have kicked in for me, but staying relaxed about things looks like the best way to begin dealing with whatever comes along.

I love your last sentence, keeping your stress level low is the best way to keep serious symptoms from showing up, stress seems to be the biggest driver of them. 

It sounds like you're hanging in there, I'm sorry about the background dread, it looks like it's non specific but your constant companion, won't it be wonderful when it leaves and you're at peace?  I still remember when I felt that for the first time after my cold turkey, it was lovely.