Worried and Overwhelmed

[Si...]

Hi everyone. I'm looking for support on how to help my sister who was just recently taken off benzos but is experiencing withdrawal symptoms. She currently feels completely flat and numb and unable to think/function and is subsequently very scared, so I am reaching out to this group to find out how I can support her. She will likely be making her own account but right now she is unable.

I see so much information but am overwhelmed on where to start and how to help. I also live very far away so I am not able to physically be there.

Here is some more information:

-Prescribed Ativan about 10 years ago. Always had Rx but never really took it.

-On Ativan consistently for 5 years (.5mg) mostly at night.

-On Klonopin for about 6 months, mostly at night, sometimes during day (.5mg, sometimes 1mg).

-Tincture of Opium for 6 months.

-Detox facility - 10 day taper. Given Gabapentin, one dose. Suboxone, 4-5 days. Only took Valium for a couple days.

-Attended 28 day inpatient recovery program, mostly focused on 12-step and addiction.

-Home now and in need of support.

[42...]

Welcome.

Allow me to say how beautiful it is that you are looking after your sister.  This process of recovery can be long for some.  She is so blessed to have you.

I’m Fiercey 😂 aka fiercelady.  I have been in recovery now for 19 months.  It’s been very challenging but I am managing much better most days.

I hope your sister feels better soon.

❤️🙏❤️

Hello Sister Support,

It must be very difficult being far away and still trying to help your sister, thank you for doing this.

Detox is really nothing more than a cold turkey, with some adjunct medications added in. I experienced a cold turkey, necessary for a medical test according to my then doctor. It was pretty brutal so I know how your sister feels.

Your sister is still early off benzos and things could be rough for a while. The best thing that worked for me is finding ways to distract from the myriad of symptoms. For me, I rotated a 'bag of tricks' through the day and sometimes the night. I did puzzles, read easy going books, watched easy going movies, put on 'white noise' and kept a journal.  My cognition and attention span was very bad so often I hardly watched the movie or read the book, but the distraction was helpful.

Benzos make massive changes to the central nervous system, it can take time for it to recover.  My improvements were slow and as with most people, sometimes it was 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Little by little my tiny universe, my bedroom, got larger and I was able to do more.  The most intense period for me was the first 3-4 months.  It did get better and I did heal.

Withdrawal can be challenging but for me, it was the best thing I did for my future health.

I'm sending good healing to your sister.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Hey there!

I replied to your post in the CT/rapid WD not sure if you saw it,

But I was asking what her worst symptoms are.

If it is feeling flat and numb and can't think well, and fear.

Those are all ones that can be supported by distracting and trying to do things that she likes, making a list of things to try and do helps your brain to sort of try to think and accomplish small goals (it may only be taking shower that day, it can be small).

And also, having someone close to her give her A LOT of reassurance that this is temporary! That real her will come back, but that it takes time! Sometimes just my hubby telling me over and over that I wouldnt be stuck like this is what helped me make it through...1 more hour.

My mom would load me in the car and just go for a drive, or push me in the wheelchair around a park. ANYTHING.

Also, texting with my best friends was a huge help, because they would remind me of who I really was talking about funny stories, or talking about things we would do when I got better.

Maybe someone can read her some success stories on here?

Sometimes that helps to see over and over that others have made it through.

Best wishes and you are a lovely sister! :smitten:

I'm finding you tube videos helpful, there's plenty on addiction,  overcoming the mental side and pulling you out of depression. Download them, put some earphones on and go for a long walk. The exercise will do her good too.