ACID REFLUX/GERD and CONSTIPATION

[2a...]

Hi All:

Ever since I moved over to the liquid Ativan from the sublinguals, the Ativan is now going through my stomach and is already wreaking havoc.

I have very bad acid reflux/gerd after every meal which is very painful, it feels like the acid is up to my chin!!!

I started taking Rantidine 2 time per day, as this was prescribed for me for other reasons anyway.

But it doesn't seem to be helping at all!

I've cut out all the offending foods and have a very bland diet.

I don't know what else to try?

I've also noticed that I've become constipated, which put pressure on my bladder that is already having issues of stiffness.

I used to go everyday with 2 tbsps of flax in my oatmeal every morning, but that's not cutting it anymore.

I take magnesium oxide at night as well as 2 probiotics, which usually all help, but not lately.

I need to get things moving and I did use Restoralax the other night, but don't like to have to rely on that etc.

Any suggestions for these two very pesky symptoms - the acid reflux is the worst!!

Thanks

Winnie

I use aloe juice (I order it from amazon) for GERD. I did use a PPI but this is way better. You can drink it before each meal. It's completely natural.

A buddie on here a few years ago clued me into CALM magnesium. It's mag citrate in powder form. You mix it with water. It works like a charm. No more constipation issues. You have to experiment to find your dose. Again, I order from Amazon.

PM me if you want the Amazon links. Be sure to read the reviews . . . for both products, plenty of satisfied users. I still use both of them.

No need to suffer, WinnieDog.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Winnie Dog, I had a terrible case of Gerd.  I ordered Gastricell off Amazon and it works great.  I use Benefiber which has prebiotics and Miralax for constipation.  I can't use anything with magnesium, it lowers my blood pressure.  I just get these at local grocery store.  Good luck, I know they are both miserable.  Mary  :)

thanks everyone, trying out various options!

I got the aloe vera juice - not sure how much to drink before a meal.

I seem to be ok with the calm magnesium, just need it to work now!

I just hate that I'm getting all these GI symptoms now that the benzo is going through my stomach.

I so wish I could have tapered off my sublingual pill, that was so much better!

Winnie

Winnie, I drank 8 oz of the aloe juice before meals. I now drink 4 oz as my gut has calmed way down.

As for the CALM, start with the recommended dosage on the container. I think it's one teaspoonful. Or a tablespoonful. Whatever . . . start with that. See how that goes. You can always increase it if you need to.

Hope you get some relief for your gut and your, ahem, other problem.  ;)

Best,

Katz

thanks everyone, trying out various options!

I got the aloe vera juice - not sure how much to drink before a meal.

I seem to be ok with the calm magnesium, just need it to work now!

I just hate that I'm getting all these GI symptoms now that the benzo is going through my stomach.

I so wish I could have tapered off my sublingual pill, that was so much better!

Winnie

Be careful with the aloe Vera juice. It inhibits estrogen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4557234/

It does seem to have a lot of benefits and it’s up to you but it inhibits hormones.

I read the article you referenced, Paxia, and I didn't read a word about aloe inhibiting hormones. Maybe I missed that part as I read the article quickly. Or . . . do you have another refence in mind? I'd like to read it if you do. All I read was/were the various benefits of aloe. Of course, if there is something to be concerned about (e.g. the inhibition of hormones, I'd like to know. Bit t doesn't seem to be contained in that article.

Oh, I did a little Googling and found this article:

http://jmj.jums.ac.ir/article-1-23-en.pdf

But it refers to aloe increasing estrogen production. In rats. Here's the article's conclusion:

Given these findings, the Aloe Vera sap may have favorable effects on estrogen synthesis due to its

phytoestrogen components such as beta sitosterol, and can increase the estrogen level.

Katz

“Aloe vera also appears to function as an antioxidant through free radical- and superoxide radical-scavenging activities and anti-inflammatory activities via inhibition of prostaglandin E2 production from arachidonic acid and also inhibition of various transcription factors and the activities of enzymes including lypoxygenase and cyclooxygenase.“

Number 2 under mechanisms of action on that same link.

Paxia, it seems you want to double down and have the last word on this. The data still applies to rats.

I guess just to be safe I won't feed aloe to my pet  rats. It might inhibit or increase (opinions differ) their estrogen production.

As for myself, I'll keep on swiggin' that aloe juice.

:idiot:

Katz

How?  You literally asked for the literature, so I pointed out where it was. And the rat brain most resembles the human brain. That’s why studies are performed on rats.

“ Mice and rats have long served as the preferred species for biomedical research animal models due to their anatomical, physiological, and genetic similarity to humans. Advantages of rodents include their small size, ease of maintenance, short life cycle, and abundant genetic resources.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3987984/#idm140505521013104title

Also no one is telling you or asking you to stop. But when you refer it to other people at least give them the full disclosure so they can accurately decide for themselves. I’m not telling winniedog to not take it either. It’s her choice. I’m just saying in the states our CNS are in, it’s vital to know what taking any substance is doing. That is all. 

WinnieDog

I'd love to hear back from you on what worked, and what didn't. One thing I noticed is that some of this stuff is so expensive. I don't want to spend money on something not doing the job. Currently, I've been relying on the H2Blocker famotidine and a supplement called Sesame (Some found it lessened "Benzo Belly", but not all). I've had minor break through acid, and I'm leaning towards trying the bentonite clay, because it is the least expensive. I hope you find something that works for you. 

The best thing I have found for this problem is Aloe Vera liquid.  The only one that is totally tasteless and therefore easy to take is George’s Aloe Vera Liquid.  I buy mine on either Amazon or Vitacost.  I get the gallon jug of it each time.  It is tasteless so you will have no problem drinking it.  You can drink it straight or with water.  It should help both your GERD and constipation, but if it does not help your constipation get some probiotic capsules and take one daily. 

The best thing I have found for this problem is Aloe Vera liquid.

Me too, Cberg. It has been extremely helpful to me, both during my taper and afterwards. I order mine from Amazon also (different brand from yours). It's very convenient. I still drink it.

:smitten:

Katz

• 2 months later...
[2a...]

Ok, my acid reflux is still bad.

I need to solve this.

I need to give the aloe vera juice another go.... 8 oz before meals is what I'm going to do.

How long before I should see a difference.

I've tried so much, gaviscon, philips milk of magnesia, ranitidine,......

I think the salt for my POTS symptoms are causing more acid reflux.

I want to stay away from a PPI.

Winnie

Famotidine is better than ranitidine. It's a newer H2 blocker with less side effects. Take 2 of the OTC ones. I added DGL, a licorice extract, and I found I have some histamine intolerance, so in addition to sticking to mostly low histamine foods, I take 1 Seeking Health DAO capsule before dinner along with the DGL. All of these have stopped the reflux about 90% of the time.

If the Gaviscon is anything like the USA version, it's junk. The stuff from the UK with the alginate is the best. Should acid creep up that other 10%, I crush a tablet and swallow the powder, because chewing the them sticks to my teeth. You can get it in liquid form. Both Amazon and eBay carry the UK version. If you use it, you must stay upright, if you recline, the raft it forms to block the acid from refluxing moves.

I bought the bentonite clay, but barely used it. Everything above is working well for me. Just in case the aloe isn't cutting it for you. 

Wonni, I noticed an improvement in my GERD in a couple of days. Your gut ought to feel sooooo much better after 2 "installments". Mine did. I realize everyone's different, but I was pleasantly surprised. I still use it now and then. 

Hope things work out for you,

:smitten:

Katz

Winnie, I use Gastricell, it's a supplement.  You can get it off Amazon or Health stores.  It worked immediately and is suppose to help you heal.  Good luck, I know it's a miserable symptom.  :)

I have upper stomach spasms and just pain in abdomen.  I have a hard time eating and the morning diarrhea.  Is there anything that may help this?

Yeah, well I just learned that prolific bit of anatomical necessity like 6 mos. ago.

A bit slow on the uptake I can be.

Well your not on your own, and slow on the uptake can be “safe” around here sometimes..!!

:)

I should mention there are some cautions with added fibre in certain situations of severe loss of GI function -ie. obstruction, impaction, and some medication induced dysfunction (OIBS-upper, for one)..

But I doubt too many people here have to worry about this..(??)

Also, for ME at least, and I know its not everyone, I only get reflux if im badly constipated (gastric emptying).. Thus Domperidone worked better than say Nexium, but it was all problematic till my GI healing caught up..

*note my meds and history though..

:)