Weight Loss & GI issues

[An...]

So I'm still early in my taper, but what I noticed during the very beginning was my digestive health started suffering.  I began to lose a lot of weight due to not being able to eat.  I'm now starting to stabilize again on Klonopin.  I realize that this can arise during tapering and am hoping I can get some weight back, even if its just a little bit.  Or even just stop myself from losing more weight.  I think I dropped from a 38 waist size to a 36 within a month.

Any recommendations on what I can do to try and regain a little bit of weight?  Its not like I want to gain weight just to do so, I feel like I dangerously lost a lot of weight at the beginning of the taper because I didn't know what I was doing.  I don't want to end up losing more and risking my health even more.  Drinking water, protein shakes, trying to eat relative healthy (gotta admit I didn't eat healthy while I was taking Klonopin).  Nowadays I'm having issues using the restroom, like constipation which signals to me that I need to drink more water & eat lighter - but I'm scared to lose any more weight.

Would probiotics help?  Any tips would help.

Thanks!

[f6...]

Why were you unable to eat?  Were you really nauseous, or did you lack an appetite?  If the latter, eat a reasonably healthy diet even if you're not hungry.  Withdrawal often causes the body to work extra hard (shakes, anxiety).  Many people need some extra calories in their day to balance out their body's extra needs.  If you were nauseous, then try to figure out what foods correlate with your nausea (and avoid them).  Some people have found that it's a bit like morning sickness - some foods work; some don't.

Doesn't have to be a perfectly clean diet.  I ate some sweets.  I ate comfort foods.  Do what works.

From what I've read, most probiotics don't actually deliver many viable microbes to the gut where they might be beneficial.

Why were you unable to eat?  Were you really nauseous, or did you lack an appetite?  If the latter, eat a reasonably healthy diet even if you're not hungry.  Withdrawal often causes the body to work extra hard (shakes, anxiety).  Many people need some extra calories in their day to balance out their body's extra needs.  If you were nauseous, then try to figure out what foods correlate with your nausea (and avoid them).  Some people have found that it's a bit like morning sickness - some foods work; some don't.

Doesn't have to be a perfectly clean diet.  I ate some sweets.  I ate comfort foods.  Do what works.

From what I've read, most probiotics don't actually deliver many viable microbes to the gut where they might be beneficial.

I get a nasty wave of nausea every morning.  My body would rather puke than eat.  I have to choke down what I can everyday.  This is because of a recent cut.

[f6...]
Sorry for the bad mornings (mornings are rough for a LOT of folks).  I guess you maybe try to eat high nutrient/calorie foods when you can get them down.  And do much smaller cuts in the future.

Sorry for the bad mornings (mornings are rough for a LOT of folks).  I guess you maybe try to eat high nutrient/calorie foods when you can get them down.  And do much smaller cuts in the future.

Thank you. Yeah I will keep that in mind. Trying to eat healthier, drink more water & stabilize.

Anxietymostofthetime, I'm so sorry you're going through this, I had this problem in my acute and then again in my setback which happened almost 10 months ago, both times it was a very scary experience, when you start losing that weight and you don't know what to do and if you are just going to waste away. What helped me keep the weight on were avocados and bananas, if  you're able to tolerate them that is, and eating very healthy and clean diet of course. Also i took aloe vera juice, DGL, slippery elm, mastic gum and trace minerals to help with constipation. You name a natural remedy for the stomach i probably tried it, they all worked to help these issues for me but ultimately it's time and time only, it took a few months but I put all the weight back on and now I'm actually worried about the opposite how to keep the extra weight from coming back:)  good luck to you, sending healing thoughts.

Anxietymostofthetime, I'm so sorry you're going through this, I had this problem in my acute and then again in my setback which happened almost 10 months ago, both times it was a very scary experience, when you start losing that weight and you don't know what to do and if you are just going to waste away. What helped me keep the weight on were avocados and bananas, if  you're able to tolerate them that is, and eating very healthy and clean diet of course. Also i took aloe vera juice, DGL, slippery elm, mastic gum and trace minerals to help with constipation. You name a natural remedy for the stomach i probably tried it, they all worked to help these issues for me but ultimately it's time and time only, it took a few months but I put all the weight back on and now I'm actually worried about the opposite how to keep the extra weight from coming back:)  good luck to you, sending healing thoughts.

You hit it on the head. I’m very afraid of mine getting dangerously low in body weight or become malnourished. I eat pb&J in the mornings with bananas & my wife puts avocados in almost everything we eat :) thank you for the encouragement. I guess I just don’t know what to do when ANOTHER symptom pops up. Thanks for helping, it means a lot!

I lost a ridiculous amount of weight. I was 130lbs and went down to 87lbs. I drink a pediasure every morning for the extra calories with my eggs. I am 5 months off everything and slowly gaining weight back.  I’m up to 98lbs now. I will say that my GI put me in a PPI due to the immense amount of stomach acid I have and that’s helped put some weight on too. Some people do not like taking PPI’s during withdrawal but I would rather take a PPI then risk cancer cells accumulating due to so much acid build up. It’s helped calm my chest pain too. I would talk to your doctor about it and decide what may work best for you.