Almost 6 years into recovery 😉

[Si...]

Hi everyone. So my story is ,I started abusing Xanax and diazepam for 10 years. Towards the end of my benzo journey I was taking 5+ Mg of Xanax a day. I cold turkey’d. Wrong move. My body and mind shut down completely. I lost muscle control, my brain was unable to control my body. My back ,neck and legs would seize up. I was bedridden for over a year. Severe panic,depression,insomnia,nerve pain psychosis,paranoia,palpitations,breathing problems,twitches,to name a few. I had almost every symptom you could imagine.

I ended up in hospital to many times to remember. Each time being sent away,being tid “ there is nothing medically wrong with you”I couldn’t understand what was happening. No medicine was working. I tried taking benzos again,but it was to late. The damage had been done. I thought I would never heal. I wanted to die, everyday. My pain would move around my body. A few weeks my back would seize up, then my neck ,then my stomach. I had severe stomach issues.

After 3 years I decided to make big changes in my lifestyle,as I had no other choice. The pain was becoming unbearable. I couldn’t work ,was living of debt ,I felt a failure. So I decided to start intermittent fasting. I would do a 6 day fast of just having 2 bowls of bone broth a day ,each month. I fasted the rest of month 18 hours and eat 1000 calories of organic wholesome food I had to be very careful as food would flare up my symptoms. I lost 3 stone in weight amd felt a huge difference in my recovery.

I walked everyday,even for a few minutes,just to be out of the house. I did this straight for 6 months. For me this was a fast track way to healing. But I realised , no matter what I do ,my brain will heal in its own way , in its own time. Year 3 and 4 I recovered about 75%. I am not in year 5 of my recovery and it all seems like a dream. I feel as though nothing happened. I try to block out the painful memories of my withdrawals.

I am around 95% recovered. I can eat what I like ,without any problems. Occasionally I get some muscle problems or tingling. But I can live with this. I have never taken benzo again and will never take it again. It took so much from me. But humans are resilient and strong. We can get through anything with perseverance.

Don’t give up. I promise u will heal. People would tell me this amd I did not believe them. But you do heal. Our brain and bodies are amazing pieces of machinery. Just be patient. I turned to god so much. I knew he had plans for me and would bring me out of this stronger. Love and peace

Wow Siobhan, what a story.... You really went through a lot and are so strong for it. Congratulations on your healing and your story will help us to keep going. Thank you for coming back and sharing your experience with us. I’m so sorry you went through that but like you say, the brain is amazing and forgets a lot of what we go through in withdrawal. Be blessed and may you enjoy your life fully!

This is a wonderful success story and I congratulate you on your healing. I have just gone back to intermittent fasting 16/8 and hope to see change. I did it before and it helped but I got too comfortable and stopped over a year ago.

I pray for your continued healing and may all the good things you lost be restored with even better.

God Bless!

PG

I didn't understand how you were starving. Write in more detail, please

It sounds like a coincidence with timing Arnold. I wouldn’t recommend this. My guess is he would’ve gotten better around this time either way. If I would’ve started fasting this month I’d attribute it to some huge gains in healing too. It’s coincidental. I haven’t been fasting but if I had.

I’m a firm believer in that our bodies need nutrients in order to heal. And that there’s no special diet that works, just coincidences, or else everyone would be on that diet

[b2...]
I didn't understand how you were starving. Write in more detail, please
Google intermittent fasting. I've been given these links:

http://www.airitilibrary.com/Publication/alDetailedMesh?docid=U0026-0812200915315191

http://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-09897-1

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/brb3.1444

http://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0026049517300859

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-018-1606-4

It sounds like a coincidence with timing Arnold. I wouldn’t recommend this. My guess is he would’ve gotten better around this time either way. If I would’ve started fasting this month I’d attribute it to some huge gains in healing too. It’s coincidental. I haven’t been fasting but if I had.

I’m a firm believer in that our bodies need nutrients in order to heal. And that there’s no special diet that works, just coincidences, or else everyone would be on that diet

Some people have reported fasting putting a stop on their waves, but I haven't tried it myself. I don't think everyone can stand it, especially in BZ WD conditions of already elevated levels of cortisol and ghrelin.

I don't think recovery from benzos involves much healing, which is why all medical tests appear negative, and why it's possible to have 100% windows followed by acute-like waves. I wish some research was done about this, but academia doesn't seem to care. If someone would find a source of this pathology, a cure could be developed.

I do not understand when a person talks about his positive experience of fasting and says that he wants to help others, and when he is asked questions, he simply disappears.

We are very grateful when people take the time to come back and offer a ray of hope to those still going through withdrawal or recovery.

It's a wonderful thing when people move on and engage fully in life once again. We should not criticize them for not wanting to spend time on the forum. Our wish is for everyone to find this place.

pianogirl

Thanks for reporting back. It is very helpful.

If I could stop the compulsive ocd eating I would definitely be doing fasting, there is evidence for it helping with brain injuries.

• 1 month later...

Guys. I’m so sorry I have not replied. I am going to read every single message and give feedback. Please please accept my sincerest apology. I have been so busy and stressed lately ,I haven’t had a chance to come on bb. I am hoping to spend more time on bb to help people. I want to be there for anyone I can, through this tough time. Love you all amd God bless you.

P.s ,I feel so bad right now for not replying to all you beautiful people. 😢

I am definitely printing this success story and keeping it with me. I appreciate this!

. Thank you so much. Your message was very sweet. I pray you also live a long,happy,prosperous life. Xx

This is a wonderful success story and I congratulate you on your healing. I have just gone back to intermittent fasting 16/8 and hope to see change. I did it before and it helped but I got too comfortable and stopped over a year ago.

I pray for your continued healing and may all the good things you lost be restored with even better.

God Bless!

PG

Thank you for your message. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss anything. God bless you and may you find tranquility in your life

Thank you

Wow Siobhan, what a story.... You really went through a lot and are so strong for it. Congratulations on your healing and your story will help us to keep going. Thank you for coming back and sharing your experience with us. I’m so sorry you went through that but like you say, the brain is amazing and forgets a lot of what we go through in withdrawal. Be blessed and may you enjoy your life fully!

Hi and thank you for your message. I feel guilty for not spending more time on bb and helping people. I will do my best to be here for anyone I can.

May god bless you and give you peace and tranquillity

I do not understand when a person talks about his positive experience of fasting and says that he wants to help others, and when he is asked questions, he simply disappears.

We are very grateful when people take the time to come back and offer a ray of hope to those still going through withdrawal or recovery.

It's a wonderful thing when people move on and engage fully in life once again. We should not criticize them for not wanting to spend time on the forum. Our wish is for everyone to find this place.

pianogirl

Dear Arnold ,I’m very sorry for not being here to reply. Please ask me anything you like and I will try my best to answer. Thank you and I will pray for your healing. 

Thank you for giving hope to those of us that are in a wave and feel like we will ever heal.  Sending blessings for peace and love in your life.  :-*

• 3 weeks later...
So inspirational!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  And congratulations!  So happy you're almost healed!  :smitten::thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

IM very happy for you. Thank you for your wonderful story and for sharing it.

I wish you the best and that after so much suffering you can enjoy life again

:smitten: