"Glutamate Systems in DSM-5 Anxiety Disorders..."

[La...]

If anyone is interested in reading more on glutamate, its role in anxiety and which medications are being studied for their role in altering it, check out this recent study:

"Glutamate Systems in DSM-5 Anxiety Disorders: Their Role and a Review of Glutamate and GABA Psychopharmacology"

Abstract:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33329087/ 

Full Study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7710541/pdf/fpsyt-11-548505.pdf 

Excerpt:

KEY POINTS:

- Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and benzodiazepines are evidence-based pharmacological treatments  for  Anxiety  Disorders.  These  primarily  target  serotonin  and  GABA systems, respectively.

- Although clearly effective, these medications do not help improve anxiety symptoms in many patients and have significant adverse effects.

- Preclinical studies and H-MRS studies show anxiolytic potential in targeting glutamate systems.

- While some clinical studies have shown some promise, most have been largely underpowered or not used placebo groups. Larger placebo-controlled trials need to be conducted in order to verify their utility in the management of anxiety disorders.

A lot of reading, very interesting, too bad that many of the meds they mention to treat anxety by acting on glutumate have many unpleasant side effects of their own. They do mention the supplement NAC, which I and other BB members use. Perhaps this revelation will result in safer meds to treat anxiety disorders.

A lot of reading, very interesting, too bad that many of the meds they mention to treat anxety by acting on glutumate have many unpleasant side effects of their own. They do mention the supplement NAC, which I and other BB members use. Perhaps this revelation will result in safer meds to treat anxiety disorders.

Yes, it's not light reading, that's for sure! But it's interesting to see that they're looking at different ways of understanding the issue. And of course, with all medications come the possibility of side effects. I think it's important the authors have stated that current treatments, e.g. benzodiazepines, antidepressants, carry certain risks and that they don't work for many people. Burying the negative facts about these medications does not serve anybody.

I think it's important the authors have stated that current treatments, e.g. benzodiazepines, antidepressants, carry certain risks and that they don't work for many people. Burying the negative facts about these medications does not serve anybody.

I agree about that, I'd love to see medications developed that target glutumate without the undesirable side effects of the ones they mention. Ones that strictly addresss anxiety, since many of the mentioned meds are targetting stuff other than glutumate and were developed to treat other conditions. It's a revelation, it's just a matter of getting pharmaceutical compaies and the medical establishment on board and actually agreeing current treatments don't work in the long run, and many are harmful. The inclusion of NAC and the recommended starting dose has me thinking of doubling my current dose.

More people on this board should really be reading this, it was an eye opener for me.

I agree with BenzoLottie, this is a very interesting paper. Thank you for calling it to our attention, Lapis2 (FYI URL for abstract is https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33329087/).

Thanks for calling my attention to that boo-boo, Libertas! I must have been reading that other abstract when I started this thread. I had already put this link in the News section a bit earlier, but I later thought it would make sense to have it in this section as well. People discuss various ideas and theories here, so this new info fits in well.

You are welcome, Lapis2.  If I had a dollar for every “cut and paste” boo-boo I’ve made, I would be a billionaire:). Thank you again for finding this paper through your meticulous research, recognizing its potential significance to the community, and sharing it with us.

My pleasure, Libertas! It's one of the few things I can do to be somewhat useful right now. And, as you well know, inquiring minds want to know, so I'll probably continue to read and learn and look for more information that might be of use....

:)