Fear of windows falling out-help please?

[jo...]

I live in a second floor flat with three sky light windows which are double glazed.

The seal is broken on each of these, and I cannot afford to get them repaired.

The frames are wooden and rotten.

The windows have been in this state since I moved in 10yrs ago.

I am worrying that one day the weakened/broken seal will make the glass fall out of the window and hurt someone down below, and I will be in a terrible situation.

I even rang emergency glaziers 24hr phoneline late at night, and told them my worry, and was told the glass wouldnt fall out.

Now I am wondering if who i spoke to was just trying to get rid of me as I was calling at night and wasnt actually requesting an emergency repair.

Pre-benzo, I wouldnt have even given this a thought, but I feel a sense of urgency and a feeling of being trapped.

The sense of urgency comes from my fear of hurting someone with broken glass dropping from my window, and the trapped feeling comes from not having enough money to sort out the problem.

Help pls

thank you

Hello

I am familiar with sky light windows and have never heard of a failure where the window has fallen out.

I would take sunny days suggestion and talk to the landlord.

Benzo's do have a way of making us worry about things we would have ignored in days gone bye.

Teakettle

Dear Journey,

Do you rent?  If so you need to bring this to your landlord's attention.  They would be responsible for the repair.

No I dont rent, its my responsibility to maintain my home, as it is mortgaged in my name.

Hello

I am familiar with sky light windows and have never heard of a failure where the window has fallen out.

I would take sunny days suggestion and talk to the landlord.

Benzo's do have a way of making us worry about things we would have ignored in days gone bye.

Teakettle

Thank you Teakette.

I wish I had a landlord, but I am my own landlord.

I dont own the home, but if I pay my mortgage until 2005 duly, then I will own my home.

The place feels like its falling apart.

My main fear is the glass falling out and hitting someone below and all of the ensuing disasters.

I keep thinking about disasters and can see benzos doing this to me.

I get one worry sorted and another one comes, and they all seem serious, like they could land me in serious trouble.

I appreciate the speedy replies.

Hello

Most sky lights are made of a plastic type material.

I had to replace two on my house this year because one of them started to leak.

You are correct they are not cheap.

Like I said, really not likely they will fall out of the frame.

Teakettle

I've had this fear for years and years despite windows with no problems.  I so need to get a place on a bottom floor apparently!  I'm always worried I'll sleepwalk out a window.  lol

Dear Midnight,

Maybe you could call a repair service and ask them to come out and assess this, and also give you an estimate.  This is usually done for free.  Then you would at least know if this is an immediate concern or not and also just how much a repair would be.  :)

I had this fear about my own windows. Because of the strange sensory issues that bz/wd can cause, I just couldn't tell what things like windows were doing! Were they secure? Were they going to fall? I had to leave things like that up to friends and or professionals (window men). What I know now is that windows, mirrors, water, etc, are just more complex for the visual sensory part of the brain to process. My brain was puzzled by those surfaces, and that produced fear. Sometimes it can help to add touch sense to a situation like that and other times not. The unfounded worry most likely will go away under a combination of solutions. Touch the window, tell your brain that it is okay, and also do it again when and if you can get a friend or a workman to check them. That might just do the trick. :thumbsup:

[2b...]

I've had this fear for years and years despite windows with no problems.  I so need to get a place on a bottom floor apparently!  I'm always worried I'll sleepwalk out a window.  lol

I'm always worried I'll sleepwalk out a window.  lol

Yes so do I sometimes.. strange I know..

I'm not so worried about the window  now, as I have had assurance from professionals that it will not fall out and hurt someone.

The problem has got worse however, in that the room in which the window was fitted is a conversion.  A previous owner made the conversion in the roof space and they did not get building regulations approval, which is required in the UK.

I am now worried that I will be faced with the massive cost of making the conversion compliant with building regulations, and I may not have enough money to do this.

This has really upset me today, as I dont know where to turn for help.

Thank you for reading.