Waking at 3am

[Su...]

What health wise causes me to wake up at approximately 3am? It’s give or take 30 minutes usually. It’s been consistent since taking the medication apart from when my doctor okayed taking Lunesta when I’d wake up. That wasn’t sustainable though and had awful effects so I tapered Lunesta.

liver issues

histamine is highest at that point, so if liver is sluggish, will wake you up

cortisol surges

just some thoughts

try taking a small amount of melatonin when you wake up

Thank you! A liver detox is what affected my sleep in the first place so that would make sense. Liver detoxes are a bad idea no matter what anyone tries to tell you! What helps histamine?

I was just reading about 3:00 am awakenings and it looks like they're pretty common even for those not dealing with benzo withdrawal, one article mentioned blood sugar and anxiety as possible causes.

yes, totally forgot about blood sugar as well.

I do know friends that woke up with anxiety at 3 am

Also could be hormones....so many reasons..

Adrenaline surges. You're supposed to get them after a full night of sleep, it's your body telling you to wake up. But some people, especially those going through withdrawal from benzos and Z drugs, get them way too early, 3 am seems to be what many state.

Another BB member, pacenik, recommended a supplement called GTF Chromium. I take one in the evening, and the other at bedtime. I don't know how or why it works, and even if I do wake up, I can usually fall back asleep within half-an-hour to an hour. I use Jarrow brand, it's fairly inexpensive, bottle has 200 pills.