What you eat affects benzo potency...

[mi...]

I never knew this until I was at the gym today watching an old episode of Law and Order where they mentioned the victim had eaten a high fat meal before taking a benzo, thus potentiating the benzo. Maybe you guys already know about this, but I had never heard of it. So I looked it up when I got home. This is what I found:

Food has a significant influence on the bioavailability of alprazolam XR tablets. A high-fat meal given up to 2 hours before dosing with alprazolam XR tablets increased the mean Cmax by about 25%. The effect of this meal on Tmax depended on the timing of the meal, with a reduction in Tmax by about 1/3 for subjects eating immediately before dosing and an increase in Tmax by about 1/3 for subjects eating 1 hour or more after dosing. The extent of exposure (AUC) and elimination half-life (t1/2) were not affected by eating.

Here's the link.

http://www.erowid.org/pharms/alprazolam/alprazolam_faq.shtml#CONTRAINDICATIONS

*goes to the kitchen to eat a stick of butter* jk

*goes to the kitchen to eat a stick of butter* jk

funny! and i happen to be eating a nice fatty soup as i read this.

i know eating some foods can remove some of the benzo by stimulating the liver to detox.

i did not know fat can have the opposite effect. pretty interesting. v.

To try to gain weight i started eating a lot of cheeses and nuts and noticed my healing appeared to be increasing. It would only make sense that having more lipids would increase reconstruction in the brain.

[77...]

Grapefruit isn't suppose to eaten with Xanax and Valium.

I find Banana's kind of kills off some of the depression Valium causes.

When I was on Klonopin, Oranges seem to increase the potency ..??

Depakote increases the effects of Valium, it's not a food, but thought I'd throw that in there.

Stay away from MFG.

Hi,

Yes, diet will affect the peak value (of blood levels), and how long it takes to reach peak after ingesting the tablet.

I think this topic needs a little analysis. I'll have to give it some thought, but I think those figures, whilst probably correct, they might be misleading. Don't forget that there is accumulation of alprazolam with extended use - the figures stated in the opening post probably refer to a single, one-off dose. The effect will be smaller with alprozalam already in the blood from previous doses.

Yeah that's interesting.

To be honest I've never really noticed any subjective effects of food on my benzo reactions, etc.  Aside from regaining my appetite in general as I w/d.

Colin, you're probably right, but it did make me wonder about the "windows" people get during withdrawal and if it could be related to diet at all. I know I feel just awful if I try to diet, but that could be for other reasons.