Functional Medicine Doctor

[...]

Has anyone been to a functional medicine doctor? I’m talking about an MD who practices functional medicine. There are some in my area, but they are very expensive. Initial visits are $800+. They do a bunch of testing of adrenals (my issue I’m pretty certain) and other things. I’m so sick, I’m on the verge of trying this. Yes, I know “it’s the benzos,” but I’m almost certain I have adrenal issues. There are also chiropractors who practice functional medicine and their rates start at $400 for an initial visit.

Has anyone been to one of these doctors? If so, which type - medical doctor or a chiropractor? How was your experience?

Thanks

Hi dbm

I have adrenal issues too. Did all the functional tests. Spent all the money. She gave me adrenal support herbs. I was taking them fir a long time, not realizing they had a bunch of herbs in them we aren’t spose to take during wd. She tried really hard to help me but in the end everything she tried didn’t work.

Now I keep my money at just try to get thru it x

I did the same, and spent the money on the supplements and never used them, I was afraid of another adverse reaction.  She did a food sensitivity test that was helpful .  I cleaned up my diet and avoided the foods causing issues.  I believe I am healing ..

Thanks, Shayna. Did you see a chiropractor or MD or other?

I saw every kind of alternative dr possible. Naturopathic, chiropractic, Chinese medicine, reiki, acupuncture, “a healer”, functional medicine dr.

I wish it was the answer. I’ve only read where 1 person had success and that is JWL. They helped him with methylation issues I believe. So in his case it was positive.

I have the most amazing functional medicine naturopath. But, nothing ever fixed me. Prior to Benzos maybe.

I saw every kind of alternative dr possible. Naturopathic, chiropractic, Chinese medicine, reiki, acupuncture, “a healer”, functional medicine dr.

I wish it was the answer. I’ve only read where 1 person had success and that is JWL. They helped him with methylation issues I believe. So in his case it was positive.

I have the most amazing functional medicine naturopath. But, nothing ever fixed me. Prior to Benzos maybe.

Yeah, I hear you. I’ve tried all those things too. I’m under no delusions that I’ll find the magic bullet. What I want to do is fix my adrenal issues, which I’m convinced I have. I think regulating health in general can help with healing. Do you remember if you went to a medical doctor who practices alternative medicine? I’m looking for experience with that specifically. I know many of us have tried iterations of natural healers.

[89...]
I have seen a naturopath who was also an MD. She ran so many labs and had me on  herbs. The tests showed some issues but it could have been something I always had, too. I must also add I did develop and infection during WD that lasted a long time so she also had me on western medicine too. ( it was the same antibiotics my infectious disease dr had me on) but I spent a ton of money to not feel much different than while I was just taking my antibiotics as before so I don’t think it was worth the 3,000 I spent in the long run. I do see a chiropractor weekly and he is helpful. After not being active my joints are just stiff. I can move around better now. 

I have seen a naturopath who was also an MD. She ran so many labs and had me on  herbs. The tests showed some issues but it could have been something I always had, too. I must also add I did develop and infection during WD that lasted a long time so she also had me on western medicine too. ( it was the same antibiotics my infectious disease dr had me on) but I spent a ton of money to not feel much different than while I was just taking my antibiotics as before so I don’t think it was worth the 3,000 I spent in the long run. I do see a chiropractor weekly and he is helpful. After not being active my joints are just stiff. I can move around better now. 

Thanks, Betterfuture! I sort of expect I’d have the same experience. I just can’t justify spending $3K for some cortisol tests and herbs. But it’s tempting because I’m so physically sick. I just feel like there’s something out there that has to help!

A good endocrinologist or immunologist who is used to dealing with sensitivities, mast cell issues etc will be able to look at methylation etc and might be cheaper.

DBM, I had read that adrenal failure is a myth. I don't know how reliable that answer is. I do believe what shayna has said and that is that all of these expensive tests really will mean nothing. Either they find the issue, but you can't take the supplements, or they do not find anything. You may feel like you have adrenal issues because you are so tired, but it may just be a symptom of benzo withdrawal.

A good endocrinologist or immunologist who is used to dealing with sensitivities, mast cell issues etc will be able to look at methylation etc and might be cheaper.

I’ve thought of seeing an endo.

Dbm if u really need to go down this route by all means it’s good to have that reassurance. Like i said they did help JWL with his methylation issues. All I want you to consider is this. U will have cortisol tests, they will show inconsistencies, the will give u herbs. These herbs will contained holy basil, lemon balm, Romania ect things on ashtons list to avoid. I took these for over a year. Who knows if they made things worse. I didn’t know these were bad. Or they will give u cortisone depending on what they pick up. I went to an endo early on and was tested for addinsons disease. The treatment for that is cortisone injections. I know you have issues with insomnia too. Imagine how that would rev us up.

Sorry I can’t remember if u are off yet? 

Ok u are. Give it a go then, just know that will be the treatment. It might be ok to have some of those things now that you are off xx at the very least you are working towards getting better. I’m sure I’ll do the same once I’m off.

DBM, I had read that adrenal failure is a myth. I don't know how reliable that answer is. I do believe what shayna has said and that is that all of these expensive tests really will mean nothing. Either they find the issue, but you can't take the supplements, or they do not find anything. You may feel like you have adrenal issues because you are so tired, but it may just be a symptom of benzo withdrawal.

Thanks for the input, Icy. I tend to agree that “adrenal fatigue” is an often overused marketing gimmick to entice those who just feel bad. Let’s face it, most people eat like shit, drink a ton of coffee, and are under stress. So yeah, they have the symptoms. It’s easy to market this run down feeling as “adrenal fatigue” and then give them a quality diet and herbs.

At the same time, I do believe there’s something to the hormone imbalance. For me, my eyes are black underneath, my sleep is garbage, I have the “wired but tired” feeling, I wake up wide awake without sleepy grog, and when I go to the gym the same night I’m up at 3am with sweats. I’ve had my cortisol tested once and it was off the charts. I KNOW it’s the benzos, but I also think the extreme workouts and hard labor job plus the benzo wd has thrown my system out of whack.

I’m not seeking a benzo cure - I know they don’t exist.

Ok u are. Give it a go then, just know that will be the treatment. It might be ok to have some of those things now that you are off xx at the very least you are working towards getting better. I’m sure I’ll do the same once I’m off.

Thanks, Shayna. Yeah, I’ve been of for almost 3 years now. I think I started doing way too much exercise and now I’m dealing with whether the excessive workouts have caused my issues or wd, or a combination. I’m sure it’s still wd, but if my HPA axis is out of whack, I’d like to know.

[e4...]
Most people who complain of setbacks from intense physical activity were recovered. I think you weren't recovered from your cold-turkey and got setbacked by physical activity. Setback appears to be equivalent to cold-turkey withdrawal, so what you got going there is stacking. Personally, I think physical activity is another one of those really bad Ashton advices. I would take it easy and avoid any and all stress (whether physical exertion, or psychological stress) as much as possible.

DBM I think you should go for it. Why don’t u ask JWL his thoughts. He will give u a positive outlook on this.

All I know is they tell you what their diagnosis is (adrenal fatigue) which I believe is a real thing as I have been diagnosed 3 times with this now. But I think it’s because of benzo wd. I’m like u my sleep is terrible and when I do sleep same just awake no lovely sleepy feeling coming into wakefulness. Half the time I don’t know if I’m asleep or awake.

Then they’ll give u their plan, which will be cortisol tests, methylation tests, neurotransmitter tests, then herbs, then whatever other wierd therapies they can get u to sign up for (EFT, drumming, hyperthermia therapy, iv therapy)

And u will be all in because u want to feel better. So u will spend $400 on the consultation, $300 on all the tests, $100 -$200 on herbs and supplements (per need mine was monthly), iv therapy $200-$300 (they suggest regular iv) , and what ever the rest costs, I gave up after iv therapy. Oh and don’t forget the ongoing consultations to track ur progress.

But if ur going to do it u have to go all in, because if u don’t and u stop halfway like I did then there will be that voice saying... maybe I should have finished the plan. And that will do ur head in.

A naturopath cured my daughters asthma. 100%. On any normal person I believe naturopathic medicine can cure most ailments. But we aren’t normal people. Unfortunately xx

Most people who complain of setbacks from intense physical activity were recovered. I think you weren't recovered from your cold-turkey and got setbacked by physical activity. Setback appears to be equivalent to cold-turkey withdrawal, so what you got going there is stacking. Personally, I think physical activity is another one of those really bad Ashton advices. I would take it easy and avoid any and all stress (whether physical exertion, or psychological stress) as much as possible.

And I agree with this. I am a runner. And a weightlifting gym junkie. Well I was. One thing I have been warned about with adrenal fatigue is not to do any strenuous excercise. I hate it. But I only walk and swim and occasionally do yoga. It sucks!!!! Last week I walked beside my old park run buddies. I got teary watching them! we can’t do it unfortunately til we get better.

I think you’re on to something, Peace. I’ve overdone it for around two years (CrossFit). The thing is, it makes me feel better in the short term (endorphins, better physique), but I pay for it. I know when I’ve overtaxed my system. It’s a distinct feeling. Then usually that’ll guarantee a 3am wakeup with sweats, which I interpret as a cortisol surge.

I’ve taken a break for a couple weeks and I hate it. But when I’ve gone back, the wakeups and bad feeling return. I wonder if I could have been healed by now?

DBM I think you should go for it. Why don’t u ask JWL his thoughts. He will give u a positive outlook on this.

All I know is they tell you what their diagnosis is (adrenal fatigue) which I believe is a real thing as I have been diagnosed 3 times with this now. But I think it’s because of benzo wd. I’m like u my sleep is terrible and when I do sleep same just awake no lovely sleepy feeling coming into wakefulness. Half the time I don’t know if I’m asleep or awake.

Then they’ll give u their plan, which will be cortisol tests, methylation tests, neurotransmitter tests, then herbs, then whatever other wierd therapies they can get u to sign up for (EFT, drumming, hyperthermia therapy, iv therapy)

And u will be all in because u want to feel better. So u will spend $400 on the consultation, $300 on all the tests, $100 -$200 on herbs and supplements (per need mine was monthly), iv therapy $200-$300 (they suggest regular iv) , and what ever the rest costs, I gave up after iv therapy. Oh and don’t forget the ongoing consultations to track ur progress.

But if ur going to do it u have to go all in, because if u don’t and u stop halfway like I did then there will be that voice saying... maybe I should have finished the plan. And that will do ur head in.

A naturopath cured my daughters asthma. 100%. On any normal person I believe naturopathic medicine can cure most ailments. But we aren’t normal people. Unfortunately xx

Thanks, Shayna. I’ll probably give it a shot just to get some labs at least. I want to know what’s up with my hormones/adrenals.

Yep if I was 3 years out I would go all in. It’s time for u to get some answers. I’m just giving u a heads up of what to expect. When they mentioned EFT to me that’s when I started hearing crickets... my brain just won’t go to any place too “out there”

I mean I’m sorry but tapping my face?  :laugh:

I miss CrossFit.  :-[

I'm having the same sick fatigue feeling you describe here. I was having a good week from Monday to about yesterday and then it started in again last night. It's a just a feeling of I wish I was sleeping but no that I can't. Even if I do nap, I just feel exactly the same afterward. And the feelings brings on anger too. It's frustrating because I can't do the things I want or need to do when feeling this sick fatigue feeling. It has been coming and going though so I wonder if I'm still healing.

DBM, I was seeing a functional Dr that was also a gynecologist and had a degree in psychology.  She was helpful, but I could not do the supplements..

DBM, I was seeing a functional Dr that was also a gynecologist and had a degree in psychology.  She was helpful, but I could not do the supplements..

Thanks, Seasalt. I’m thinking they all do pretty much the same thing regardless of medical degree - tests, supplements, nutrition advice. So based on that I’m probably going to try the “functional medicine” chiropractor route. They’re half the price and probably run the same tests. I just want to get my cortisol stuff sorted.