Anyone know HOW benzos impact the HPA axis?

[De...]

It's clear that much of the agony of benzo withdrawal is due to the HPA axis dysfunction caused by these drugs.  But is there any evidence of exactly how these drugs cause the dysfunction??  Is it that the long term use causes stress to the body and hence the protracted stress causes the dysfunction? Or is there another biochemical theory?

I did a quick pubmed search and nothing jumped out at me, although interesting that Opiods and Cannabinoids also are know to cause such dysfunction.

Any thoughts?

I think that HPA axis dysregulation can be part of the withdrawal syndrome created by GABA receptor issues and other physical changes in the brain, but also brought about as a result of the severe, chronic stress we go through experiencing disturbing symptoms for lengthy periods of time.

Maybe the lines between the withdrawal syndrome and these subsequent HPA axis issues can be blurred; when does the issues directly related to the cessation of the drugs stop and the other begin? The symptoms can be similar. Is protracted withdrawal HPA axis dysregulation in some cases?

Well for me I knew something was so wrong when I was experiencing severe chemical anxiety in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.  So I was still on the drug when the dysfunction became apparent.  Tolerance withdrawal definitely demonstrated the dysfunction, so is it just the downregulated GABAA receptors that causes this?

People are saying that the receptors are back within 3-6 months....So is the rest of our agony just the remaining dysfunction of the HPA axis?  Then we should be able to fix that with supplements and herbs!  I'm missing something  :P

• 4 weeks later...
[db...]
There is a boat load of things that regulate a normal sleep cycle.  Stress can upset a regular sleep cycle. Why are you trying to study the HPA axis?  There are so many possible combinations at any given moment  Has anyone been able to figure out a treatment plan and begin thriving by knowing what does what? Like the HPA axis ?  And if that doesn’t fix it, are we in to the next organ or system?  Where does this spinning in circles stop?

I've started dealing with non 24 hour sleep wake disorder because of withdrawal and I've read that the HPA axis is affected which can cause issues like this.