Toxic Mornings & Cortisol

[...]

I often feel my worst in the morning. It feels like I’ve been poisoned. It’s an ill, sick exhaustion bordering on nausea, and often combined with some akathisia.

I know this is a common feeling. Does anyone know what causes this aside from not getting proper sleep? What do you think about cortisol/adrenal issues causing this problem?

Morning are a challenge for most ppl in benzo recovery so You're not alone:)

It does get better. Like now I only really feel "off" for an hour, and I get up and can function through the day and weather other symptoms.

there's two ways to look at the cortisol thing:

1) some ppl in recovery legitimately have increased cortisol levels and can prove it by tests from their endocrinologist. This usually reduces over time.

2) Our bodies are hypersensitive to any chemical changes. So even the normal morning rise in cortisol can feel horrible and contribute to anxiety.

This is what I'm still dealing with a bit..sensitivity to rise in normal levels.

You can be prudent and get yourself tested to be sure. but often time and healing re-regulates us. Mine is improving - just too slowly for my liking ::)