Taper options

[ta...]

Where is a good place on BB for info about switching from pills to pharmacy liquid diazepam? And info on how to microtaper if not a math person? Info on taperstrips info for patients in US. Not sure where to look. Thank you!!!

I don't believe taper strips are offered in the US yet, and as for locations on BenzoBuddies for the other things you've asked, there isn't a central location.  You ask the questions, people stop by to answer.

There is a liquid Diazepam available, you just have to ask your Dr to prescribe it.  If you're interested in learning how to microtaper, you can supply your information and a member can help you figure it out. 

If I am using diazepam tablets to micro-taper a bit off every day, how do you deal with the lighter weighing pills? With the heavier ones it is easy enough to scrape them down to the correct daily amount Im going for (Im at .288 today, around 3.3ish mg). Im at a loss for the lighter ones. Especially as I go from 2mg down. If one day Im working with a 2mg pill that weighs .168 and reduce .006 (.162), but the next day a pill starts lets say at .160, how do you go down? Do you just subtract the .006 from the lower weight? I need to make sure Im continually going down. Im not a math savvy, so would love some easy help. Im thinking of sticking with pills rather than switching to liquid bc I finally understand the weights, reductions, and scales. Thank you!!!!

Hi tapersupport,

Pamster asked me to stop by.

Are you concerned with the fact that the scale will not allow you to taper all the way to zero because it will have trouble at lower weights?  If so see this link from my signature  https://benzodrytapermath.com/

On the other hand, if you are just worried about getting the math correct, I can help you.  I specialize in math.

I am heading off to bed but I will be happy to help you in future.

Bob

Thank you Bob!!!! I think right now Im worried about the math first. THEN I know I will be worried at the lower weights, but that is in a little ways. Right now Im at about 3.34mg of diazepam (.288 total weight on scale) and scraping off daily. Still playing around with how much Im reducing daily (.007 ish). But I know there will be a point at the 2mg and below where if the pills weigh different amounts, and I am reducing a certain amount, Im going to be super confused with the lighter pills. Heavier are easier bc they just have more filler. Would LOVE some help to manage my anticipatory anxiety. And Im going to peek at your suggestions for when I get really low. My husband recommended just breaking pills into pieces and combining pieces till get total daily weight Im looking for. Is that valid approach? Can I stay on pills til end or should I consider liquid? Bob THANK YOU

Your husband's suggestion is very good.

You can be in full control using his suggestion.  You can continue to taper and if things start getting harder (more symptoms), you can slow down easily.

Are you saying you have a bottle of pills wherein each pill in the bottle weigh significantly different?  All pills vary a little but not enough to worry about.  I trust you "tare" your scale between readings and do not breathe on it during the reading?

I usually calibrate a few times, weigh a few times. Should I be using tare instead? Right now had a variance of 2mg pills weighing as low as .158-.174, so wasn’t sure how that affects everything. Most have been .168-.172 luckily. How does tare differ than calibrate. Bob I cannot thank you enough!!!!!!

Calibration makes the scale linear between small weights and large weights.  It is not very important when you weigh the same small weight each day.

You should use Tare with or without calibration.

Just before you place material on the scale to weigh it, press Tare to zero out the scale.  Now, if the scale already reads zero, then no worries, no need to tare. 

Variations of 0.168 to 0.172 are nothing to worry about.  Remember, unless the pills are capsules, the pills rattle around in a bottle and little unseen bits might chip off of them and so you could get a 0.158 reading.

Bob, you are seriously saving my mind. How can I ever thank you? Since I get 5 consecutive days of Dr supervision, I got dropped 10% today to 3mg and will hold. But he is well aware I will start daily microtapering again once Im sure this drop didn’t destabilize me. Does everyone have issues at the 2mg and down or can some chip away at higher chunks ok? I know everyone different. Some can handle a cut and hold. Some need smaller reductions daily to get to the same place. Thank you for explaining the tare vs calibration and pill size dilemma. I promise Im going to have more questions as I get closer to end. Hope that ok?? Cannot thank you Bob and Pamster enough for mentoring me during such an unexpected insane time.

Yes Pamster is wonderful.  She takes the time to identify and interact with folks and then shines light on people needing help. 

I am a little worried in that I do not fully understand the concerns you have with 2mg.  I have been assuming you have two different pills.  A large one greater than 2mg and then a 2mg pill.  Is that correct?

You can ask as many questions as you need.

That last question is about the  w/d experience at 2mg and below. I know once you get lower and lower some people are really sensitive at the end and some can continue to make their normal bigger cuts all the way to zero. Was just curious if I need to be aware of anything, from your experience or others. I assume everyone is different?

I believe people have more troubles near the end of their taper not because they're getting below 2 mg but rather because accumulation of effect of all the other reductions catches up to them, particularly if they go too fast.

• 1 month later...

Bob! I have a question. I am JUST about to transition tmrrw to manipulating 1, 2mg pill. Im finally at 2mg🙏🏻 I have been reducing anywhere from .001-.004 of the total weight of the pill daily. But now Im in that spot again where my 2mg pills weigh anywhere from .180-.162. I am at .178 today need to be at .174 tmrrw. My concern is how do I know Im decreasing daily if technically I could be taking 2mg day after day after day based on these weights? Am I making any sense? Should I just break pills up to get the correct weight and not worry about full pill weight?

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Yes this is a very difficult problem.

Here is one way to solve it.

Instead of keeping track of where you are at (in your case 0.178) keep track of the reduction.

So your next reduction will be 0.004.  Each time you make a reduction keep track of it.  So your next reduction might be a total of 008.

Then each day you can measure a fresh pill and subtract reduction from it.

For example.  For your next reduction, each day weigh a pill and then subtract 0.004 from the weight and then file your pill down until it gets to that weight.

Bob thank you! Im glad to have more than one option in this situation for a few days. I need to think about which way to go. Do you feel like it is silly to break pills up into pieces to weight out the right amount? Im def a creature or habit so switching approaches would be BIG. You always come to the rescue.