Is it bad if I'm basically eyeballing my dose each day during my dry microtaper?

[ti...]

I've been microtapering Klonopin, reducing my dose by 0.03125mg every 1-2 weeks. I'm currently at 0.34375mg Klonopin once a day at night. I get to that dose by splitting a .25 tablet in half with a pill cutter (getting to .125), then splitting the .125 (getting to .0625), and then cutting the tiny .0625mg in half with a knife. I take that plus one whole .25 pill. The pill cutter is pretty even but when I have to cut an already tiny piece with a knife, it means I know I'm not taking exactly the same dose every night. I don't notice that my withdrawal symptoms are any different or worse day to day, all my days are basically the same. So is it that bad if I'm not taking the EXACT same dose each day? Or is it bad and should I look into having my Klonopin converted to a different form at a compounding pharmacy which would ensure I'm taking the exact same dose every night? [Posting this here instead of on the direct simple taper forum board because I figure you all would know more about the benefits of titration.]

I've been microtapering, reducing my dose by 0.03125mg every 1-2 weeks. I'm currently at 0.34375mg Klonopin once a day at night. I get to that dose by splitting a .25 tablet in half with a pill cutter (getting to .125), then splitting the .125 (getting to .0625), and then cutting the tiny .0625mg in half with a knife. I take that plus one whole .25 pill. The pill cutter is pretty even but when I have to cut an already tiny piece with a knife, it means I know I'm not taking exactly the same dose every night. I don't notice that my withdrawal symptoms are any different or worse day to day, all my days are basically the same. So is it that bad if I'm not taking the EXACT same dose each day? Or is it bad and should I look into having my Klonopin converted to a different form at a compounding pharmacy which would ensure I'm taking the exact same dose every night? [Posting this here instead of on the direct simple taper because I figure you all would know more about the benefits of titration.]

Good question.. I guess some will say yes, others no, and both be right..!!??

One though I have is, our body's, by design cater to, or indeed function by fluctuations in these neurochemistry realms and their onflow effects... So some degree of fluctuation might be a moot point..?? -Just how much, I wouldnt like to guess..

I have to think, within reason, a continued downward trend would generally do the job..

That said, just how sensitive one is might come into play too..

I respect others might see it differently.. 

Get back to me in a year or so, -Im currently pill splitting a slow release formulation med.. In effect the split affects the therapeutic time available, not so much the available dose.. Less than ideal, if that makes sense, yet im slowly getting there..

:)

I am posting because my doctor who specializes in this, sometimes uses a “blind” process while tapering, and that means you don’t know exactly what dose you will be getting. Obviously it is going down, but not at exact rates , and this is to reduce the anxiety that people often get with reducing their benzo’s and the anticipation and all that comes with it.  So it would seem that those small amounts wouldn’t have that great of an effect, as long as you aren’t up-dosing and that doesn’t really seem possible.

Just my thoughts.  Personally I didn’t opt for the “blind” process of distribution.  I need to be in control  :o

Marie

• 4 months later...

I've been microtapering Klonopin, reducing my dose by 0.03125mg every 1-2 weeks. I'm currently at 0.34375mg Klonopin once a day at night. I get to that dose by splitting a .25 tablet in half with a pill cutter (getting to .125), then splitting the .125 (getting to .0625), and then cutting the tiny .0625mg in half with a knife. I take that plus one whole .25 pill. The pill cutter is pretty even but when I have to cut an already tiny piece with a knife, it means I know I'm not taking exactly the same dose every night. I don't notice that my withdrawal symptoms are any different or worse day to day, all my days are basically the same. So is it that bad if I'm not taking the EXACT same dose each day? Or is it bad and should I look into having my Klonopin converted to a different form at a compounding pharmacy which would ensure I'm taking the exact same dose every night? [Posting this here instead of on the direct simple taper forum board because I figure you all would know more about the benefits of titration.]

Nope, I found it made no difference at all and I now eye ball mine, also weighing made me even more paranoid an anxious as you never get an exact amount plus the wight keeps drifting of changing. Also LOTS of people who wrote success stories eye balled their cuts too .

I eyeballed many meds to taper off over the year's besides Benzos and never heard about weighting until I joined BB, and I wish I'd never seen that as it just gave me yet something else get freaked out, and paranoid  over. But I'm back to eyeballing and have been for some time and it served me well for many year's before that  to taper off all sorts. My symptoms are still crappy whether I weigh the pills or not and I'd rather not have the extra anxiety about weighing them .

Nova  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

[81...]
I eyeballed my dose/cuts until I switched to a liquid taper.  I was tapering from a long-acting benzo (clonazepam) so some variation in dose seemed acceptable since the half life was so long.

I eyeballed my dose/cuts until I switched to a liquid taper.  I was tapering from a long-acting benzo (clonazepam) so some variation in dose seemed acceptable since the half life was so long.

Hi Kate, why did you switch to  a liquid taper? Was it because the doses had become to small to continue cutting?

[81...]

Hi Kate, why did you switch to  a liquid taper? Was it because the doses had become to small to continue cutting?

Yes, too small to cut.

Personally, don't suggest cutting tablets below 1/4s. As others have said, cutting smaller can sometimes be without issue. In my opinion, cutting inaccurately is only "bad" if you're having problems; I think problems would be increased withdrawal symptoms. So from your post, timeitstime, I'd say for now you've found something that's working for you.

I hope you can continue to have consistent symptoms. :thumbsup:

Yes, too small to cut.

:thumbsup: