Miserable does Unisom help insomnia?

[le...]

Had severe mental symptoms last 2 years inwithdrawal, since Chrustmas now only getting about 3 hours sleep. Seriously thinking about sometimes taking zopiclone got few left. Got weighted blanket, trying chamomile tablets at moment, can't get Unisom over here, anyone found anything helps. Getting to stage can't cope any more, really have got to the end of the line. I've ordered some Unisom as lot people seem recommend them, can't get them here just need something.

[6a...]
What can you get over the counter. Can your doctor prescribe Mirtazapine? Chamomile is so weak on its own, it's unlikely you'll fall asleep with just that. But you can stack a bunch of stuff together. I would try all of these together: Valerian, Lemon Balm, Theanine, Chamomile, and Timed Released Melatonin. That might just be enough to knock you under for 5 - 6hr

• 1 month later...
I've used Unisom for years, and it helps me a lot.  There are 2 types of Unisom, both antihistamines. One is Doxylamine and the other is Diphenhydramine, which is the same as Benadryl.  Doxylamine works for me.  I have to admit though, lately I've been taking 3 at night and since I've been attempting to go off benzos, it's only working for a few hours, if that.  But a few hours is something.  I hope you can get some sleep.  It's the most difficult aspect of withdrawal for me (so far). 

For a couple of months last year, I did a rotation of:

unisom (night one)

benadryl (night two)

lunesta (prescription medication) (night three)

nothing (night four)

It helped me break the horrible grip of insomnia, and I did not get addicted to any of the above.  Once I saw that I was sleeping at least 3-4 hours on night four, I started increasing the number of nights with nothing, until I eliminated all of the sleep aids.  The whole thing lasted about 3-4 months, and now I am getting at least 4-5 hours of sleep most nights.  Every once in a blue moon, if I go without sleep or nearly without sleep for a couple of nights in a row, I will take a unisom again -- but hardly ever.

Of course, just because this worked for me doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.  But I hope something in my experience may help you.  Insomnia is just horrible.

Haimona

[6a...]

Lunesta is essentially like taking a Benzo. It's Eszopiclone, an isomer of Zopiclone.

For all intents and purposes, they are equal. They hit the exact same GABA receptors as any Benzo does, with the novelty that chemically, it's not a "Benzo".

I have spent the most horrific 4 months after 1 month of using this. I would HIGHLY recommend NOT to rely on a Z-Drug to taper a Benzo. You might as well stay on the Benzo.

As for Mirtazapine, I would consider it Unisom on steroids. For me personally, I had zero issues getting off it at 3.75mg after 1.5 months.

I would try Mirtazapine wayyyyyy before a Z-Drug for sleep.

Not sure there's a point in rotating 3 anti-histamines. They all do the same thing, just that Mirtazapine is like getting punched by the Hulk in terms of its anti-histamine action. This is why 3.75mg being such a small amount, is still quite effective for many of us.