protracted withdrawal tied to gut health ???

[ju...]

the more and more i read and learn i am starting to believe protracted withdrawal has to do with the 80 percent of gaba recpotors in our digestive system ....  anyone else believe this to be true ?

[61...]
I believe it. I am 14 months Klonopin free and endured insomnia, air hunger, nightmares, tremors, body aches, intrusive thoughts, swollen hands, but nothing tops the eight months I have had lower abdominal pain. I always heard the gut is your second brain, hang in there you can get through this you're bigger than any benzo.

I wonder about that too, have been reading a lot about it and trying to do everything here to fix my gut:)

from what i have gathered keto or paleo diets are the best things for trying to heal our guts  but you have to be careful switching over because alot of ppl think they get thrown back into acute withdrawal but they are really experiencing die off from the gut infections  and the gut releases these toxins back into our blood stream which slowly get filtered out by our kidneys

I believe it. I am 14 months Klonopin free and endured insomnia, air hunger, nightmares, tremors, body aches, intrusive thoughts, swollen hands, but nothing tops the eight months I have had lower abdominal pain. I always heard the gut is your second brain, hang in there you can get through this you're bigger than any benzo.

in reality our digestive system is our biggest brain they hold mostly all the receptors and the majority of them everything we take pysc med wise hits the guts receptors first  this is how the drugs shuts down our brains  nothing actually cross the blood brain barrier once it hits our guts and affects the neurotransmitters Gut bacteria both produce and respond to the same neurochemicals—such as GABA, serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, acetylcholine and melatonin—that the brain uses to regulate mood and cognition.

Hey All, I do eat probiotic yogurt every day, but what other gut healing strategies are there? 

Much appreciated!!

from what i have read keto a paleo is the best...... 

Hi-

I am currently weaning and was really having a bad time.  So I added back in my probiotics and melatonin ( I take really good ones) and I have noticed a difference.  All the GI issues I was having, have disappeared (at least for now) and my w/d, is more tolerable. I also do a Vegus nerve massage and belly massage.  The benzo flu isn’t as severe when I am in the waves as it was before.  I also cut out all refined sugar, no sweets, and the like and that too I think has helped.  Now I am going gluten free (even though I don’t have gluten issues) for now and post jump for about 6months. 

Hi-

I am currently weaning and was really having a bad time.  So I added back in my probiotics and melatonin ( I take really good ones) and I have noticed a difference.  All the GI issues I was having, have disappeared (at least for now) and my w/d, is more tolerable. I also do a Vegus nerve massage and belly massage.  The benzo flu isn’t as severe when I am in the waves as it was before.  I also cut out all refined sugar, no sweets, and the like and that too I think has helped.  Now I am going gluten free (even though I don’t have gluten issues) for now and post jump for about 6months.

a lot of people stand by probiotics  as helping them with gi issues 

My gut seems ok and am in like the worst withdrawal for years.

So for me, that does not seem to be the case.

hi barbara  you dont have to have gut problems to have a gut injury  its all about the gaba recptors in the gut and healing them

Aside from diet, it's possible to stimulate the vagus nerve through breathing. I do Wim Hof breathing because it works for me but there are others out there. It's a crucial part of my routine because it enables me to move my bowels in a somewhat satisfying way, keeping things moving so there's nothing festering that unhealthy bacteria can feed off. If you can stand to do it and it's safe for you, fasting every now and then will do wonders too. Even just a 24 hour fast once per month would be doable for most people and it would help. I know it's challenging though.

Oh, you can probably tell that I agree with you that it's a huge factor. Cutting edge science is telling us that gut health is a major factor in mental health, period. It counts for a lot but as with everything, withdrawal seems to make it an even bigger factor.

Cut out as much processed food as possible. I'm guessing that most people concerned with gut health are already eating as naturally as they can but it's worth saying, just in case. I've never come across someone who managed to cut the processed food out and regretted it. It's a boon for people who are somewhat healthy. Best to phase any changes in though, the transition can be a bit painful if you change your entire diet in one go.

Aside from diet, it's possible to stimulate the vagus nerve through breathing. I do Wim Hof breathing because it works for me but there are others out there. It's a crucial part of my routine because it enables me to move my bowels in a somewhat satisfying way, keeping things moving so there's nothing festering that unhealthy bacteria can feed off. If you can stand to do it and it's safe for you, fasting every now and then will do wonders too. Even just a 24 hour fast once per month would be doable for most people and it would help. I know it's challenging though.

Oh, you can probably tell that I agree with you that it's a huge factor. Cutting edge science is telling us that gut health is a major factor in mental health, period. It counts for a lot but as with everything, withdrawal seems to make it an even bigger factor.

Cut out as much processed food as possible. I'm guessing that most people concerned with gut health are already eating as naturally as they can but it's worth saying, just in case. I've never come across someone who managed to cut the processed food out and regretted it. It's a boon for people who are somewhat healthy. Best to phase any changes in though, the transition can be a bit painful if you change your entire diet in one go.

Thanks for the reply i am not sure about the breathing for the vegs nerve  but sounded like you have it working for you ......  what helps me is a is a fiber bar before bed and then i drink a hot chocolate every morning and that does the trick every day

Came across this awhile ago and just found it again in my bookmarked folder:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278584620302670#s0055

Read it again in the context of benzo withdrawal and this thread and you can see just how complicated the cross talk is between gut and brain.  No wonder we all go through such individual experiences and that it takes so long to recover. 

Anybody have any insight on what strains are inherently harmed or overexpressed in benzo withdrawal?