Bad sleep suddenly returned after 2 years off

[le...]

Quality my sleep got really bad last couple months anyone else have this after long time off. Only manage about 4- 4.5 hours wake at bang on 4 am every morning. Take a nytol some nights but don't want get hooked on them. Tried all usual stuff over the years of insomnia, am wondering if the constant lockdowns here might affected it. Can't see anyone, go anywhere, do anything, weather crap so no stimulation. But not helping the anxiety and feel knackered all time. Really feel temped to take the odd zopiclone trying really hard not to😤

[d9...]

Quality my sleep got really bad last couple months anyone else have this after long time off. Only manage about 4- 4.5 hours wake at bang on 4 am every morning. Take a nytol some nights but don't want get hooked on them. Tried all usual stuff over the years of insomnia, am wondering if the constant lockdowns here might affected it. Can't see anyone, go anywhere, do anything, weather crap so no stimulation. But not helping the anxiety and feel knackered all time. Really feel temped to take the odd zopiclone trying really hard not to😤

I wish I could sleep 4 hours on my own right now. I only get sleep if I take something. Currently that's a stack of supplements: Valerian, Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Theanine, Lavender, etc.

If I take nothing, I sleep nothing, and I could go 3 - 4 day with zero sleep. It's frightening.

If I didn't have the intrusive thoughts could cope, but it racks them up. I realise if you're getting zero sleep 4 hours probably  sounds good. Had sleep problems about 16 years have been in your position hence why ended up on zopiclone as was working at the time , so do appreciate how awful it is.

I strongly suggest throwing your zop out. You should not be keeping it in your home unless you want to go back to using it again. If you think that you have sleep issues now, wait and see what will happen if you do go back to using it.

Zop in my opinion is pure poison, if I could go back and never have taken it I would. Its completely messed up my sleep drive, sleep architecture etc. 4 Hours a night would be a miracle for me right now. I seem to be in a pattern of 4-5 hours or so of light sleep one night then 0 the next. Seems this pattern is fairly common in the recovery process though. Yes I second the above... throw them out, into the toilet, into a fire, wherever you cannot touch them ever again.

[d9...]

Zop in my opinion is pure poison, if I could go back and never have taken it I would. Its completely messed up my sleep drive, sleep architecture etc. 4 Hours a night would be a miracle for me right now. I seem to be in a pattern of 4-5 hours or so of light sleep one night then 0 the next. Seems this pattern is fairly common in the recovery process though. Yes I second the above... throw them out, into the toilet, into a fire, wherever you cannot touch them ever again.

This is the most evil drug I have ever heard of. I wish I had known. It seems that most Benzos only cause severe problems with long term use (over a month). This Zopiclone stuff though, 2 weeks are you are effed up, to suffer months of insomnia.

It burns me that the medical industry mostly recognizes Benzos as being bad, but Z-Drugs are considered inoffensive.

I still have 20 pills left. I was having nightmares about them, so I sealed up the jar with a glue gun so it couldn't be opened anymore. They do not tempt me even a little bit. I rather have the original insomnia back, but it is what it is now.

I think it’s because the chemical structure of z drugs mean they zero right in on one particular receptor, rather than the 3/4 that Benzos do, so with Benzos you get a greater variety of withdrawal symptoms, but with Z drugs it’s just intense insomnia. I’ve never known anything like this. I lay awake all night last night and didn’t feel remotely sleepy. I read Matthew Walkers book about insomnia and why we sleep and in there he says it’s impossible to go two nights without sleep. Even he doesn’t seem to have a clue about benzo/z drug withdrawal. I’m just hoping that this doesn’t take months to get better, because I need to be able to work.  I’m actually going to write to the British Medical Journal about this because so many more people are going to suffer as doctors just hand out this rat poison, with no understanding of what it does. I actually went to a leading neuro sleep doctor and he wanted me back on them! Unbelievable.

Honestly don’t waste ur time with books or cbti. Zopiclone insomnia is a beast. If I could get 4 hrs a night, I would be happy. Had zero last night even after taking 1/2 a unisom. I’m 4 months off.

Leann I flushed all my zop the other day. Almost a full packet. It ruined my life. I will never take another one. I’d rather smoke a pound of mj and I don’t even smoke it

Throw them away they ruined ur life too. X

[d9...]

Honestly don’t waste ur time with books or cbti. Zopiclone insomnia is a beast. If I could get 4 hrs a night, I would be happy. Had zero last night even after taking 1/2 a unisom. I’m 4 months off.

Leann I flushed all my zop the other day. Almost a full packet. It ruined my life. I will never take another one. I’d rather smoke a pound of mj and I don’t even smoke it

Shayna, have you tried mj? Right now I'm getting 3hr - 4hr sleep with like 8 different supplements combined. I get zero sleep if I don't take anything.

At least I can get a little sleep. I am so sorry you are still getting zero sleep even with meds.

Books and CBTi are useless for drug induced insomnia. They assume your brain is normal and your insomnia is due to anxiety. They "might" be good to try out a few months later, once you've actually started to sleep on your own, even if it's a couple of hours a day.

I will never in my life ever touch a Z-Drug or a Benzo. These are the most evil drugs ever created. I'm not against drugs in general, but drugs like these with side effect profiles that last for months or YEARS should be off limits to all but the most life threatening cases.

I do like Mirtazapine, and I am tempted to go back on that, even if I have to updose from the very low amount I was on. But before I do that, I'm taking the plunge in trying some Indica mj, which I ordered today and is on it's way.

I'm in Canada and this is hippie land, so we have mj up the ying yang here. I was so stupid to go for meds to sleep. I know you all feel the same. I would do anything to go back in time and stop myself from taking that first pill.

Hell I should have been smart enough to try natural supps or even weed BEFORE touching an Rx. Too late now.

I’ve tried it but it really isn’t my thing. But I am going to try it again. I have an appointment with a mj practitioner here in aus so see how that goes.

[d9...]

I’ve tried it but it really isn’t my thing. But I am going to try it again. I have an appointment with a mj practitioner here in aus so see how that goes.

Make sure you ask for an Indica strain. You don't want the Sativa strain, that will just rev you up more and make you even more miserable.

I have an Indica tincture on its way, and will report progress once I start taking it. Explain to the practicioner that you don't care about getting high, you care about SLEEP. Indica, from all my research, is the way to go. THC on its own will rev you up, and CBD will rev you up in small doses.

I have a few CBD tinctures here and I tried as high as 45mg, but it didn't help me for sleep. Based on my research, CBD only starts being useful for sleep at 150mg or more. That would become prohibitively expensive for me. Next week I'm going off work again for an undisclosed amount of time.

I plan to try all these new things out, and see if they help and how much.

[d9...]

I think it’s because the chemical structure of z drugs mean they zero right in on one particular receptor, rather than the 3/4 that Benzos do, so with Benzos you get a greater variety of withdrawal symptoms, but with Z drugs it’s just intense insomnia. I’ve never known anything like this. I lay awake all night last night and didn’t feel remotely sleepy. I read Matthew Walkers book about insomnia and why we sleep and in there he says it’s impossible to go two nights without sleep. Even he doesn’t seem to have a clue about benzo/z drug withdrawal. I’m just hoping that this doesn’t take months to get better, because I need to be able to work.  I’m actually going to write to the British Medical Journal about this because so many more people are going to suffer as doctors just hand out this rat poison, with no understanding of what it does. I actually went to a leading neuro sleep doctor and he wanted me back on them! Unbelievable.

lol @ it's impossible to go 2 nights without sleep.

I had 4 straight days of insomnia that drove me to the doctor and got the Zop. And at least I can assume my brain was fine, just the traumatic event I had was wrecking me.

I would take that insomnia back any time of the day. I bet it would have resolved in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, Zop, from my research, is not selective like the other Z-Drugs. Meaning, it smashes all the same Benzo receptors. It just happens to be a non-benzo chemical structure, but if you're using a jackhammer, or a drill to make a hole, the hole is the same.

You were a short term user like me, so you have a better chance of recovery like me. I sleep if I take something, so that's progress IMO.

Have you tried anything in the form of supps? or even Trazadone or Mirtazapine?

And Shayna, I hope you get a good quality Indica mj, and it helps you get some sleep.

Had them sitting there  2 years only had one 2 or 3 times so throwing them away won't make much difference.  I know not sleeping at all is hell been there, just makes all the mental stuff and anxiety ten times worse. Lot people since the lockdowns have had trouble sleeping so think probably adding to

it.But can understand why you think 4 hours would be good, if wasn't for the mental symptoms could cope on 4 hours as even normally only ever get about 5 and half hours! Sorry yours still bad.

Make sure you ask for an Indica strain. You don't want the Sativa strain, that will just rev you up more and make you even more miserable.

I have an Indica tincture on its way, and will report progress once I start taking it. Explain to the practicioner that you don't care about getting high, you care about SLEEP. Indica, from all my research, is the way to go. THC on its own will rev you up, and CBD will rev you up in small doses.

I have a few CBD tinctures here and I tried as high as 45mg, but it didn't help me for sleep. Based on my research, CBD only starts being useful for sleep at 150mg or more. That would become prohibitively expensive for me. Next week I'm going off work again for an undisclosed amount of time.

I plan to try all these new things out, and see if they help and how much.

Yeah I know about indica. I can’t afford 150ml a night so that won’t be happening. So over this merry go round. 2 years... 3 months. I’m tired

I had 4 straight days of insomnia that drove me to the doctor and got the Zop. And at least I can assume my brain was fine, just the traumatic event I had was wrecking me.

I would take that insomnia back any time of the day. I bet it would have resolved in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, Zop, from my research, is not selective like the other Z-Drugs. Meaning, it smashes all the same Benzo receptors. It just happens to be a non-benzo chemical structure, but if you're using a jackhammer, or a drill to make a hole, the hole is the same.

You were a short term user like me, so you have a better chance of recovery like me. I sleep if I take something, so that's progress IMO.

And Shayna, I hope you get a good quality Indica mj, and it helps you get some sleep.

Yeah after reading a bit more you are right about Zopiclone, hits all the same receptors as Benzos except it’s wearing a different outfit. Yeah even though I’m not getting much sleep it’s better than when I originally stopped, I went 4 nights in a row without sleep twice initially, now it’s settled on one night on one night off, and the sleep I get is only light and REM, no deep sleep so my skin and hair etc feel wretched. Interestingly, when I tried Mirt whilst on Zopiclone it had no effect whatsoever, but recently I have noticed a bit of an effect so I reserve it for when I go two nights without sleep, I think ThEwAy2 suggested doing that. Usually just 5-7mg as anything more makes me feel really groggy rather than sleepy. I’m just frustrated at the moment, with myself for taking that stuff and like you, not just riding out the rather meagre insomnia I was experiencing at the time which would have in all likelihood have eased off itself in time, and with how slow the progress is. I do feel fortunate though to have found this forum otherwise I would not have known what the tits was going on with my body.

[d9...]

Yeah after reading a bit more you are right about Zopiclone, hits all the same receptors as Benzos except it’s wearing a different outfit. Yeah even though I’m not getting much sleep it’s better than when I originally stopped, I went 4 nights in a row without sleep twice initially, now it’s settled on one night on one night off, and the sleep I get is only light and REM, no deep sleep so my skin and hair etc feel wretched. Interestingly, when I tried Mirt whilst on Zopiclone it had no effect whatsoever, but recently I have noticed a bit of an effect so I reserve it for when I go two nights without sleep, I think ThEwAy2 suggested doing that. Usually just 5-7mg as anything more makes me feel really groggy rather than sleepy. I’m just frustrated at the moment, with myself for taking that stuff and like you, not just riding out the rather meagre insomnia I was experiencing at the time which would have in all likelihood have eased off itself in time, and with how slow the progress is. I do feel fortunate though to have found this forum otherwise I would not have known what the tits was going on with my body.

There aren't many people who have been on short term Zop here sadly. Most of the Zop victims have been on it for months on end, and at much higher doses we used.

When I came, I was in full blown W/D. Zero sleep, migraines, relentless zapping all the time.

I can totally understand the desperation to updose. I was prescribed 7.5mg, and I updosed to 11.25mg. I should have stopped that week it wasn't working anymore. But hindsight. I was terrified of going weeks without sleep, and that actually turned out to be months now. I'm lucky so far that I've had other things help me sleep.

Yeah, try a low does Mirt. I would start with 3.75mg and see how you do, and increase to 7.5mg if you need more to sleep.

I have like 2 months worth right now if I wanted to start up on it again. I'm going to try the indica bud and see if it's as good as people say, if ONLY to have another option that isn't a drug, or a stack of supps. If I have no choice, I will go back on Mirt, I know 15mg knocks me flat on my ass. I get a full 8hr sleep, but the rest of the day I am so drowsy I can barely walk.  I use a pill cutter to cut the pills with precision.

I wish I had just tried mj instead of zop in the first place! People think they’re safer going to the drs! What a joke!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could sleep 4 hours on my own right now. I only get sleep if I take something. Currently that's a stack of supplements: Valerian, Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Theanine, Lavender, etc.

If I take nothing, I sleep nothing, and I could go 3 - 4 day with zero sleep. It's frightening.

im 6 months off of everything and 2.5 years after starting my taper and my insomnia is still horrific. Im lucky to get any sleep as well. This week has been bad. I have only had 1 or 2 nights with sleep and the rest have been almost all zero sleep nights.

Not sure when this is going to end but its really wearing on me.

good luck

I WISH I could smoke a bale of indica right now , I live in a legal state but my Dr says no and my ex husband who is an rn and has been taking care of me these past years just really is not on board with it either .

I smoked so much coming down 5 years off 8mgs of kpin that I actually coughed blood for a year . The day I stepped of the indica made my symptoms insane .

I am so tired , sleep is hit or miss the last few years and at 58 I am just not sure if or when I should try something or stick it out . I am starting to question my quality of life .

I excersize to an extreme to wear myself down . 5-8 walking miles every single day some of that is advanced hiking miles up mountains  . Usually work out with one of my horses . Do the sleep hygiene thing , hot bath to get sleepy , asmr or meditation all night , heating pad on feet . comfortable , dark quiet room , this is a nitemare alright .

If I did NOT do these things I would not sleep at all so I guess all this is doing the best job it can .

I am also considering unisom . I do well with Vistaril but NOT its generic hydroxyzone. My ins wont pay for vistaril and they wont let me pay cash for it . I was also given Vistaril as a rescue dose when I began to hallucinate badly 4 days after jumping AFTER a 5 YEAR taper .

They should've just let me smoke a J instead of giving me a xanax  THEN klonopin , I would not be where I am now .

leann, I feel bad for you. Insomnia is awful. But I have to take issue with this:

Had them sitting there  2 years only had one 2 or 3 times so throwing them away won't make much difference.

Throwing them away WILL make a difference as in THEY WILL BE GONE. As long as you have them they will be a psychological crutch.

When I was first off my zop, before I found indica mj (which I realized you can't get as you are in the UK) I had success with Unisom. Half a 25 mg tablet. You don't need a doc to prescribe. Heck, yo can order it from Amazon. I had no trouble getting off it when I decided to. Yeah, it will stop working also, but everything chemical does. You could always try a double strength cup of camomille tea, too.

You will do what you want, of course, but it seems that you so often muse about just taking "the odd zoplicone and trying hard not to". And then you give in and take one, if I'm remembering correctly. Why not just toss them out and get on with figuring out what WILL help you? All us zop users have been where you are. But imo you will not move on until you throw that s**t away.

Sorry.

Katz

• 2 weeks later...

leann, I feel bad for you. Insomnia is awful. But I have to take issue with this:

Had them sitting there  2 years only had one 2 or 3 times so throwing them away won't make much difference.

Throwing them away WILL make a difference as in THEY WILL BE GONE. As long as you have them they will be a psychological crutch.

When I was first off my zop, before I found indica mj (which I realized you can't get as you are in the UK) I had success with Unisom. Half a 25 mg tablet. You don't need a doc to prescribe. Heck, yo can order it from Amazon. I had no trouble getting off it when I decided to. Yeah, it will stop working also, but everything chemical does. You could always try a double strength cup of camomille tea, too.

You will do what you want, of course, but it seems that you so often muse about just taking "the odd zoplicone and trying hard not to". And then you give in and take one, if I'm remembering correctly. Why not just toss them out and get on with figuring out what WILL help you? All us zop users have been where you are. But imo you will not move on until you throw that s**t away.

Sorry.

Katz

I totally agree with Katz. The moment I took the last dose of my rapid taper I threw out all of my pills (and I had a lot). I had decided to never take any again so why keep them around? My withdrawal insomnia was pretty bad so if I kept some pills I am sure that I would have ended up using them once in a while and that would have just made things worse in the long run.