Cog-fog affecting my coping methods

[zo...]

Hello all, I sometimes have bad anxiety; really I have always had it but it never bothered me because I beat it with coping methods such as visualization, relaxing thoughts ect--I got to the point where I could laugh at panic attacks and soon they left for several years. Now, anxiety has returned with a vengeance due to protracted withdrawal; however, now I find that cog-fog is making it very hard for me to employ coping methods--during cog-fog visualization is almost impossible and thinking is muddy. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

Hello Zorak,

I saw your question and wanted to let you know I have had cog fog. When the cog fog gets really intense, I find it challenging to do the things I normally do to relax. I have found that my cog fog is higher when my anxiety is high. I do what I can to calm myself. Sometimes I do one calming thing after another such as go for a walk, take a warm bath, rest and then maybe have a bite to eat.

I put together some information that might be helpful.

I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

“Benzo-Wise, a Recovery Companion” by Baylissa Frederick, 2009

Brain Fog

“Brain fog is the term used to describe cognitive dysfunction which causes feelings of mental confusion and lack of mental clarity.”

“Attempting to accomplish simple tasks when coping with brain fog can be frustrating. As you wait for the recovery process to be completed, acknowledge that your limitations are temporary and try not to force yourself or struggle to do more than you are capable of.”

Reading/Comprehension problems: inability to read, focus or understand even simple instruction

How are you feeling today?

Summer