Switching benzos before starting taper

[Lu...]

I’m taking 1.5mg Ativan.  I had an updose recently and am not sure if I have stabilized yet.  I suffer some interdose withdrawal because I take the Ativan 3 times a day.  Was wondering if I should get switched to a longer lasting benzo like clonopin ASAP or if I should wait till I stabilize more.  How long does it take to stabilize?

Just my opinion, but I’d try going to four daily doses first, stabilize and then start cutting and see if that works for you. I dry tapered from Xanax all the way down, four doses a day. I was afraid to switch over to a long-acting benzo.  It takes too long to correct taper mistakes with long-acting benzodiazepines. With short-acting benzos you can correct immediately and know if it was the right move.

If you did switch over, I’d choose Valium if it were me.  I’ve been around this forum since 2012 and my feeling is that Klonopin./clonazepam is the most problematic of all the benzodiazepines.

Thanks for the advice.  I take 40mg of nexium for acid reflux - been on it for like ten years .  I’ve read where there is interaction potential between diazepam and nexium.  Will find out from my doc next week.  I always thought the shorter acting one were the hard ones to get off of.  In your opinion and from what you’ve read, is Ativan one of the harder ones to taper?