Anyone have Cataract surgery while tapering?

[Ho...]

Has anyone had Cataract surgery while tapering or while in protracted?

Please let me know.  I have to have Cataract surgery. 

Thanks all.

Kimmie

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Much to my horror, I developed "early" cataracts. Anyhow, I had both eyes done while I was still tapering. It was really a piece of cake. My doc does the surgery in the OR so I was "out" for the procedures. (I said okay to the Versed . . . others might want propofol.) The after-care drops (anesthetic, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory) did not bother me at all.

I worried unnecessarily about this. Sheesh . . . we worry about everything on our tapers. And the best part of this was/is I can see see much better! Woo hoo! I had the lenses put in my eyes for close vision, as I work at the computer a lot. Now I don't even have to wear glasses to do my work. Hot dog.

Just my experience, of course. Hope this helps.

Katz

WOW.  Congrats Katz!  :clap: :clap:

My doc checked me for cataracts recently.  She put steroid eyedrops in both eyes and unfortunately I had a terrible reaction to my shock and dismay.  Guess I'm ultra sensitive to the steroid drops.  I mistakenly believed the steroids would not hurt me because I am down to ONE MILIGRAM of Valium now.  No, it revved me up for 24 hours.  Otherwise, yea, I'd make the appointment now!! 

Lord willing, I'll be off this V end of March or sooner if I can jump, then guess I'll take the risk.  I was told they don't put you out (Asleep). 

Question, did you have the Elective latest treatment that you have to pay for done by machines?

Will Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery Give You Better Vision Than Traditional Cataract Surgery?

https://moscowfamilyeye.com/is-laser-assisted-cataract-surgery-better-than-traditional-cataract-surgery/#:~:text=In%20laser%2Dassisted%20cataract%20surgery%2C%20the%20femtosecond%20laser%20is%20used,surgeon%20with%20the%20phaco%20probe.

Hope, I bet your doc put drops in your eyes when she checked for cataracts to make the pupils dilate so she could see the cataracts. It isn't a steroid. It's this:

Dilation is when mydriatic drops are placed in the eye. The mydriatic drop is an agent that induces dilation or enlargement of the pupil. Drugs such as tropicamide are used to permit examination of the retina and other structures of the eye, and also to reduce painful ciliary muscle spasms.

As far as I know, I didn't have laser-assisted surgery. My doc did it the old-fashioned way.

I was completely satisfied with my surgery, as I said. And about the steroid (which is used to cut down on inflammation after the surgery), I spoke to my doc about this, and she said that the steroid pretty much stays in the eye. It doesn't get into the rest of the body. I was worried as I react badly to some steroids, and most medication. But talk to her about your concerns.

Hope this helps,

Katz

It is odd that I reacted to the steroid drops she put in my eyes.  I didn't think I would, but I did.  Am concerned if I have this done before I'm off the Valium or even protracted that I might have a problem being I THINK you have to use those drops for a month?  Correct me if I am wrong here. 

Thanks for letting me know what to expect.  I still fully intend on having the Cataract Surgery either way.  Has to be done.

I have no idea why she put steroid drops in your eye after an eye exam.  Unless you had some kind of eye inflammation, that seems unnecessary, but what do I know? Docs are extremely reluctant to prescribe (or even use) steroids when they're really not necessary, as they raise intraocular pressure. However, I have only my own experience to relate.

I used antibiotic drops for a week; steroid drops for three weeks.

If you're worried about the steroid, there are several different ones that can be used. I have a really bad reaction to Cipro, so my doc ordered another steroid for me. Maybe you should inquire about the steroid that gave you the bad reaction and talk to your doc about another.

Being on or off the valium will have nothing to do with your procedure imo. Again, talk to your doc.

Best,

Katz

• 3 weeks later...
I had cataract surgery and was given valium before hand, and Versed during.  That event triggered my WD and I've been struggling ever since.  DO NOT let them give you Versed!!!!  I can't emphasize that enough.  THey can do the surgery w/o Versed easily.