Muscle spasticity (dystonia) support group

[Ar...]

People suffer without improvement for 3-5-8 years or more. Most of us had a cold turkey. Maybe we should resume taking the drug and slowly narrow it down? Who has any thoughts on this?

[aa...]

People suffer without improvement for 3-5-8 years or more. Most of us had a cold turkey. Maybe we should resume taking the drug and slowly narrow it down? Who has any thoughts on this?

There was a guy on Reddit benzo support group that said he had no improvements in two years, then reinstated tapered off and is fine now. I don't know which symptoms he had. Prof. Ashton advised against this, but that's because she presumed that downregulation of GABAA receptors was the cause of all the symptoms, and so, logically if you add more benzos it will cause further downregulation. But, with the current research we know that GABAA receptors take about two weeks to upregulate. However there's always risk with reinstatement. The first is that it doesn't work: excitoxicity has done its thing, destroyed the neurons and benzos can't do anything to fix that. The second, and worse, is that it goes paradoxical: you symptoms become more numerous and severe.

There was a guy on Reddit benzo support group that said he had no improvements in two years, then reinstated tapered off and is fine now. I don't know which symptoms he had. Prof. Ashton advised against this, but that's because she presumed that downregulation of GABAA receptors was the cause of all the symptoms, and so, logically if you add more benzos it will cause further downregulation. But, with the current research we know that GABAA receptors take about two weeks to upregulate. However there's always risk with reinstatement. The first is that it doesn't work: excitoxicity has done its thing, destroyed the neurons and benzos can't do anything to fix that. The second, and worse, is that it goes paradoxical: you symptoms become more numerous and severe.

I also believe that if neurons are destroyed, benzo will not be able to restore them. I have all the symptoms of late extrapyramidal disorders. And how will a tranquilizer help if excitotoxicity has done its job? Everything you say is correct.