Hello I'm new here

[Ho...]

I'm HopeD, a long term user and didn't realize I was addicted until I tried to come off the Lorazepam for a medical test?  Today is Day 4 and this is tough.stuff

Hi HopeD,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you are here!

I'm sorry you are struggling with Lorazepam. This is definitely the right place to find information to help with all aspects of withdrawal and recovery. I'll start you with a couple of links that you might find helpful. The first is the cold turkey board.

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

I'll also post the withdrawal support board which is a great place to ask any questions you have about withdrawal.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Ashton manual but I'll also provide the link for that because it's a great guide to benzos and how to taper off of them. I'm not sure if you are planning to stick with the cold turkey or to try to do a taper. Either way it's a very helpful guide.

The Ashton Manual

I also just wanted to say that there is a difference between addiction and dependance. You may be dependant but not necessarily addicted. I am a long time prescribed user and I never took more than prescribed but when I tried to stop taking it, I would have extreme withdrawal symptoms. That's really common with benzos unfortunately. Hopefully, you will find that your withdrawal is manageable.

Again, welcome!

SRR

Thank you so much.  Last night I did read some of the Ashton Manual.  I'm not sure if I can reply here?  I've been on Lorazepam for 15+ plus years, but on 0.5mg or less.  I would often shave some off of that.  I only used it at night to help me sleep and as far as I know had no addiction symptoms attributed to it?  It was only after I got notice to go for a vestibular test and notified to stop all sedatives including the one I'm on, 48 hours before the test, so I thought it was best to taper now before the date of stopping it abruptly?  But when I went to do that last week, I've been having sleepless nights, cold sensations on my skin and sweats, along with joint pain and stiffness.  I'm not really anxious, so that part is okay, but I think the worst is the cold feeling sensation and sweating and not being able to sleep a full night.  Last night was a bit better.  I'm on my 4th day, and actually I would like to get off of them completely.  Right now I am between 1/2mg &1/4mg and all I can think of is cutting a 1/4mg down in half to 1/8th, but I'm not sure if I can be off them completely by the 1st week of Feb?

Welcome Hope! This is an awesome forum for support in achieving your goal of being benzo free. I just wanted to tell you that you've made the first step in bravery! I'm cheering you on and looking forward to seeing you succeed! It won't be easy but it's doable. You got this!  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much.  Last night I did read some of the Ashton Manual.  I'm not sure if I can reply here?  I've been on Lorazepam for 15+ plus years, but on 0.5mg or less.  I would often shave some off of that.  I only used it at night to help me sleep and as far as I know had no addiction symptoms attributed to it?  It was only after I got notice to go for a vestibular test and notified to stop all sedatives including the one I'm on, 48 hours before the test, so I thought it was best to taper now before the date of stopping it abruptly?  But when I went to do that last week, I've been having sleepless nights, cold sensations on my skin and sweats, along with joint pain and stiffness.  I'm not really anxious, so that part is okay, but I think the worst is the cold feeling sensation and sweating and not being able to sleep a full night.  Last night was a bit better.  I'm on my 4th day, and actually I would like to get off of them completely.  Right now I am between 1/2mg &1/4mg and all I can think of is cutting a 1/4mg down in half to 1/8th, but I'm not sure if I can be off them completely by the 1st week of Feb?

You can reply here but you might want to ask your question in the withdrawal support thread. I think you'd get more of a response there. It sounds like standard withdrawal symptoms to me but you might want to post this there and see what other people think. The standard reduction is 5 to 10 percent of your current dose every 7 to 10 days as a general guideline but I am going slower than that.