Does Metoprolol/Lopressor bind with the Gaba Receptors and hinder WD Healing?

[Sp...]

In one of the posts, I see that it is mentioned that Metoprolol binds to Gaba Receptors.  I was just recently put on Metoprolol for very high blood pressure 25 mgs. and am having symptoms like tingling all over, very dizzy and light headed and leg weakness, I wonder if I am back dealing with Benzo Withdrawal?  I had no idea that Metoprolol binded with Gaba receptors.  I am over 5 years out and most of my symptoms were gone.  On top of everything I had two surgical procedures, one major, and  I believe that the anesthesiologist gave me Benzos prior to surgery and going in to surgery I took 2 mgs of ativan.  WOW double whammy!

I had terrible adverse reactions to beta blockers. Atenolol gave me arrhythmia and put me in the hospital for 3 days. I didn't handle metoprolol well. The only one I sort of tolerated was Carvedilol. I don't blame GABA for this but some sort of strange dysautonomia that mirtazapine WD sparked. I would also take my beta blocker and get more sizzling brain, thudding heart, paresthesia etc. I felt sick on them too like body flu without a fever. After I got off the Klonopin I slowly weaned off the beta blockers and that was rough. It wasn't like benzo wd but more like I was holding back an adrenal flood. Some of these meds mess with ion/calcium etc channels. Alpha and beta receptors. If you think about it nothing is in a vacuum. If you tweak one thing in your body other hormones and receptors and NTs compensate or decompensate down the pathway. I always recomend staying away from meds and supplements until you heal- BUT, some of us need meds. If you have a heart condition and need them speak to your doctor about them. Maybe there's a better one for you. The lipophilic beta blockers can cause more psychiatric effects because the brain absorbs them more than the hydrophilic ones. Honestly though, if you need them I don't think it's going to stop you from healing. Many people use them to taper off the benzos and heal. If they do affect GABA it's probably not that significant. The anxiolytic affect they have is from adrenal blockade not GABA agonism. I'm not a neurologist or cardiologist though so maybe someone else will have more insight into this.

Spazzie I was put on metoprolol 25 mg for HBP in March 2020 had severe side effects... Anxiety, weakness, blurred vision, suppressed appetite!!!  Doc had me stop cold turkey bad idea suffered from rebound anxiety, excelerated heart rate for 2+ weeks.  Doc first put me on Xanax for the anxiety then I figured out it was the metoprolol causing it.  Kept me on Xanax thinking I was having so much anxiety from the covid scare became dependent.  I take lisinoprol for HBP works well for me.  Good luck.

TrustGod828 and Dianedeedee  Thank you very much for your input, I think my symptoms might be the Metoprolol but I have to be very careful about stopping it and I don't like the doctor who gave it to me and don't want to go back to him, as he sent me to the ER because of my high bp which doesn't respond to anything.  I am just on 25 mgs., and think I will take it every other day for a week, but so hard to figure out as I am also on Cardura.  I gather that in some cases Benzo Withdrawal causes high blood pressure so really don't know what to do as my doctors don't believe in Benzo Withdrawal.

Spazzie when I gave my doc the list of side effects I was having she immediately said that I could not take it...maybe if you call and tell your doc what's going on with you he would switch you to something else.  Wising you good luck.

TrustGod828 and Dianedeedee  Thank you very much for your input, I think my symptoms might be the Metoprolol but I have to be very careful about stopping it and I don't like the doctor who gave it to me and don't want to go back to him, as he sent me to the ER because of my high bp which doesn't respond to anything.  I am just on 25 mgs., and think I will take it every other day for a week, but so hard to figure out as I am also on Cardura.  I gather that in some cases Benzo Withdrawal causes high blood pressure so really don't know what to do as my doctors don't believe in Benzo Withdrawal.