This is me..

[Wa...]

Hello everyone. I consider myself a resilient warrior. I found this forum whilst on a mission to find answers to my many questions relating to benzos, it's effects, side-effects, tapering, withdrawals but most of all I was looking for support! I was prescribed 5mg Diazepam (Valium) for nighttime anxiety and panic attacks. I took it as prescribed for 4 weeks (Dec. 2020/Jan 2021) and when I decided that side-effects weren't worth it (I had some nausea upon waking up and feeling dizzy during the day), I quit Cold Turkey (another bad idea, I know!). I had not been warned or given any explanations when it was prescribed. I have been doing so much research and ruminating for the last 4 days and looking at this forum has made me feel more secure. I do not advise abrupt discontinuation but if there are people who have been through it, I'm open to suggestions and advice of all forms. I have been taking 2.5mg every other day to help subside the curb as well. I don't take supplements or vitamins as I feel they would be useless since my brain and body are still rigged with the meds.

Hello Warrior2021,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! While 4 weeks use is not a long time, it doesn't take long for a physical dependency to develop.  I'm not surprised that you are feeling symptoms of withdrawal.

Are you continuing to take 2.5 mg every other day?  How long have you been doing this? To be honest, intermittent, irregular dosing, is not recommended. It can confuse an already confused central nervous system.  At this point your options would be to reinstate and dose daily at the lowest possible dose and taper from there.  It may be possible for you to taper somewhat quickly due to your short term use. However, it's important to listen to your body and adjust the rate if necessary. The other option is to stop the the medication completely, although you will likely have some withdrawal issues to deal with.

Yes, we have many people who for various reasons have stopped taking benzos suddenly, cold turkey.  You are correct, this is not the recommended way to discontinue benzos.

We have a dedicated board for those who have stopped cold turkey, I'll give you a link to that board.

I'll also give you a link to the Post Withdrawal Recovery Board, but if you decide to reinstate and taper, you would find good support on the Withdrawal Support Board.

What happened to you is not uncommon. Many of us lacked vital information about this class of drugs and the possibility of withdrawal. We understand what you are going through. Let us know how we can help.

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

pianogirl  :)

Welcome Warrior2021!!

Sounds like you're off to a good start early in the game. That's great! Keep reading and finding help here, in other's stories and the resources.

My longterm friend has been ambien ... and I also used anti-anxiety meds, but when I found this site stopped cold turkey. Luckily I had never used them consistently, only occasionally and am not aware of any w/d effects of stopping cold. I'm not recommending it ... leading in to say that I'm learning cognitive behavior type things to do to calm down my anxiety AND just being a part of this site is like my daily med ... getting me through.

Cheers,

Kachina

Hello Warrior2021,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! While 4 weeks use is not a long time, it doesn't take long for a physical dependency to develop.  I'm not surprised that you are feeling symptoms of withdrawal.

Are you continuing to take 2.5 mg every other day?  How long have you been doing this? To be honest, intermittent, irregular dosing, is not recommended. It can confuse an already confused central nervous system.  At this point your options would be to reinstate and dose daily at the lowest possible dose and taper from there.  It may be possible for you to taper somewhat quickly due to your short term use. However, it's important to listen to your body and adjust the rate if necessary. The other option is to stop the the medication completely, although you will likely have some withdrawal issues to deal with.

Yes, we have many people who for various reasons have stopped taking benzos suddenly, cold turkey.  You are correct, this is not the recommended way to discontinue benzos.

We have a dedicated board for those who have stopped cold turkey, I'll give you a link to that board.

I'll also give you a link to the Post Withdrawal Recovery Board, but if you decide to reinstate and taper, you would find good support on the Withdrawal Support Board.

What happened to you is not uncommon. Many of us lacked vital information about this class of drugs and the possibility of withdrawal. We understand what you are going through. Let us know how we can help.

I have been taking 2.5mg every 2 days for a week now. I understand what you mean by reinstating but what dosage should I take? How do I taper? Everything I have quit in my life (The hard drugs included) has been CT. I want to quit benzos for good. I want to be present for my daughter and husband. Right now, at this moment, I am crying because I know there is a landing at the end of the bridge but I am feeling so alone. I know thinking positive and such helps but woah it seems unbearable right now.

Hello Warrior2021,

I have been taking 2.5mg every 2 days for a week now. I understand what you mean by reinstating but what dosage should I take? How do I taper? Everything I have quit in my life (The hard drugs included) has been CT. I want to quit benzos for good. I want to be present for my daughter and husband. Right now, at this moment, I am crying because I know there is a landing at the end of the bridge but I am feeling so alone. I know thinking positive and such helps but woah it seems unbearable right now.

Hello again,

Don't despair, you'll cross that bridge and get to the other side. We will help you and encourage you as you journey there.

There really aren't any other types of drugs like benzos, in terms of withdrawal. Since you've been dosing every other day for a week, I don't think I would stop cold turkey at this point. How do you feel on the 2.5 dose?

It may take some adjusting but you could stabilize on perhaps 2-2.5. mg per day.  You have to see how you feel and whether this minimizes the withdrawal symptoms you are having.  If that works, a reduction of about 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the Planning your Withdrawal board for more information.

Our members are very helpful and will share their experience with you as well as the knowledge they have gained through this process. You are not alone anymore, we understand. 

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Keep posting, the future is good for you to get to be where you want as a mom and wife.

pianogirl  :smitten: