Went cold turkey on Klonapin unknowingly and need advice on where to start back

[Mi...]

Hi,

I have been using 1.0-1.5 mgs of klonapin for months and suddenly went off as I thought I was doing better and wasn't aware that my mental and physical pain endured has been because of repeatedly going on and off this drug.

It has been a week since taking it and I usually take the full amount around night time. After realizing this, I started back at 1.0 mgs (.5 2x a day one during morning and night) yesterday to try to alleviate the withdrawal by spreading out the intake.

Due to this new found realization that I have been going on and off this drug and have been going through withdrawal effects for years, with this time being excruciating, I am not sure where to start back. (i.e. taking 1.0 or 1.5mgs at the same time I used to take it at which is the night time, or taking a smaller amount twice a day to try to help with the withdrawals as I have read that taking the same dose as before doesn't necessarily immediately remedy the withdrawals and I am a little scared.

I would appreciate any advice or knowledge about when these withdrawal effects will dissipate and how much I should go back to taking as they did vary.

Any advice is appreciated! :smitten:

Is your current (2 x 0.5 mg) dose working for you?  Note that it takes a few days for the drug to build up in your body.

I’m doing better than before without it, there’s still some bad withdrawal symptoms present but they seem to be lessening because they’re no where near the severity I was having them prior. I just want to make sure that taking that amount twice a day instead of how I used to do it with that same amount once a day is okay and won’t disrupt my body even further.

[2b...]

It's good to hear that your symptoms are lessening.  I think you should try to stabilize on the least amount of drug that you can.  You may still feel some withdrawal symptoms, but as long as they're not debilitating you should be OK.

Dose scheduling is an individual thing and should be based on when you most need coverage.  If you need it more at night for sleep, then dose most or all at night.  If you need 24 hour coverage, then dose 12 hours apart, but it doesn't have to be exactly 12 either.  Do what works, but I'd try to keep the total daily dose constant for a while.

It's good to hear that your symptoms are lessening.  I think you should try to stabilize on the least amount of drug that you can.  You may still feel some withdrawal symptoms, but as long as they're not debilitating you should be OK.

Dose scheduling is an individual thing and should be based on when you most need coverage.  If you need it more at night for sleep, then dose most or all at night.  If you need 24 hour coverage, then dose 12 hours apart, but it doesn't have to be exactly 12 either.  Do what works, but I'd try to keep the total daily dose constant for a while.

It's so hard to know which is the least amount I can be taking as the amounts have varied a lot but I think I will continue trying to stay on the 0.5 x 2 dose. These should be taken at the same time each day right? and sorry should they be taken 12 hours apart from each other? I'm already feeling so much better and I cannot believe that this drug withdrawal was in charge of giving me so much mental and physical pain.

[2b...]
The pills should probably be taken at roughly the same time each day, but it doesn't have to be exactly 12 hours apart.  12 hours is fine, but if you (for example) think you would do better taking pills at noon and 9 pm, that's fine too.

The pills should probably be taken at roughly the same time each day, but it doesn't have to be exactly 12 hours apart.  12 hours is fine, but if you (for example) think you would do better taking pills at noon and 9 pm, that's fine too.

Okay thank you so much for your help. It is really really appreciated.

I was on Klonopin for 15 months, and I yo-yo'd doses (either.5 twice a day or .25 twice a day) because my anxiety would dissapear after my Magnesium infusions. I now know that I was having mini-withdrawals each time I lowered it. The stupid docs treating thought this was great (See more in my sig below, plus a link to my intro). Plus they gave me very bad advice for stopping them.

So you were basically yoyo-ing but you stopped each time, I only stopped once, after the incorrect information I got from the doctor. My wiser Endocrinologist says Klonopin is one of the most potent Benzo's out there. 

I am now on Valium, tapered too fast on that, reinstated and starting all over again. I feel your suffering, it can be a brutal beast. Hopefully now you can taper and do it the right way.

I think you already got the advice you needed, just offering my sympathy that you had to go through this so long. But now you are at the right place for learning about proper tapering, when you are stable and ready.