Looking for help!

[ka...]

Hello! I was prescribed Ativan 1 mg on December 13 for insomnia related to anxiety. I was told to take it at bedtime as well as every 8 hours as needed. I only ever took it once a day and only on average every other day. I've taken 12 1/2 pills in a 29 day period. Lately I've only been taking half a tablet. I notice that if I don't take it every other day, by day 3 I get severe agitation and anxiety. Unbearable. Could I be dependent after only taking so few pills? My doctor also started me back on Zoloft, which also gives me severe side effects such as worsening anxiety. When I mentioned that I thought I was getting dependent on the Ativan, my doctor's answer was to tell me to take .5 every single day and up to 3 times a day until my anxiety and insomnia are under control and not to worry about addiction because he could help me taper down. But I don't want to do this! I'm terrified of becoming more addicted! I'm trying to go without it, but the severe agitation after 2-3 days is unbearable. I'm sorry this is long and rambling, I'm severely sleep deprived. Any help is greatly appreciated. My goal is to stop taking Ativan. Thanks!

Hello katmandu, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I feel you're right to listen to your instincts, it's possible to become dependent on benzodiazepines in as little as 10 days and the symptoms you're describing match what we feel when this happens.  It's extremely difficult to discontinue benzodiazepines so your Dr assuring you he can taper you off of them may sound easy for him but for you, it's not so easy.

My suggestion is to begin to start to taper now, it's not going to be pleasant but it will be better now than later when you're more dependent.  We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but you might want to do this faster since you've only taken a dozen or so pills. 

Its better to take the drug every day while reducing your dose to keep steady blood serum levels, I would suggest taking a fraction of your dose each day but perhaps twice a day to avoid interdose withdrawals since Ativan has such a short half life.

If you'll start a thread on the direct taper section of the Planning your taper (Taper Plans) board we can help you get started.

If you'd like to connect with others going through this you can start a thread on the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board.

I'm so sorry you find yourself here but you're so wise to take care of this now instead of months or years down the road.

Pamster

Hello,

my husband got dependent after 2 weeks of use of Ativan.so it's possible. And so I think it might be best to slow taper now. With the proper taper plan and determination, you will be fine. I also suspect that your doctor doesn't think it's a big deal for you to be on this drug, so be careful on what you say to him. Doctors dislike when we start telling them how to cure us...if you decide to taper now and don't need smaller doses of pills from your doc, it's not against the law to keep this plan to yourself. He has his opinion. You have your own- and it's your body and your health.

my regards.