It’s gone

[Sh...]

[4b...]
Why can't you take Unisom every night? I take 1/4 unisom about every night...I do alternate with hydroxyzine and try to take one night off a week.

[4b...]
Hmmm, good to know. I’ve been alternating Benadryl, Unisom and hydroxyzine at 1/4 doses for weeks and haven’t noticed it losing it’s effect. I did take one night off. Benadryl and Unisom are over the counter and I think most docs will prescribe hydroxyzine. Maybe worth a try? I know some people love trazodone, but I’m not a fan. Consider the Circadia? There’s a 30 day return.

The forst time I took it I got 5-6 hours sleep but only get a couple on it now snd it makes me feel very depressed. I’ve taken sedating ads before and they didn’t help don’t think I can get trazadone in Australia

[c4...]

Shayna, I believe you tried Mirtazapine. How much did you try?

Benadryl, Trazadone, and Mirtazapine all have a similar method of sedation: antagonizing histamine.

You do get used to Benadryl, but its not a 2 day thing. You have to use it for 2 weeks straight before the body adapts.

I don't see why you can't get Trazadone in Australia. That's the one drug any GP will give you, because it has the acclaim of being "non addictive".

But if you're going to try anything again, I would give Mirtazapine a shot, and take 7.5mg to begin for a couple of days, and see how that goes.

I would also recommend L-Theanine, 200mg right before bed. And if you tolerate it well, you can increase to 400mg.

I would not worry about hurting your GABA receptors. Neither Mirtazapine nor L-Theanine do anything with GABA receptors at all. Mirt is the strongest antihistamine of all, with mild Serotonin action at 7.5mg. L-Theanine acts as a Glutamate blocker. It competes with the Glutamate receptors, blocking Glutamate action (it is VERY mild, and will not cause problems. Studies show people safely using it for up to 9 months)

I don't know if you've tried these, but for me they have been a Godsend.

If you can get it, I would also get BioPQQ 200mg, and take one daily right after you wake up. This one is not for sleeping, but rather to accelerate cellular repair, which is what our GABA receptors need to do.

I hope some of this has been helpful to you. It breaks my heart to see your pain. I have slowly escaped my torture, but I was lucky not to be on that benzo garbage for too long (was on only a month, and about a month and a half of the torture we all know quite well)

Thanku andros x I have tried mertazapine but it didn’t help me. I tried 7.5 - 22.5 mg . I was still taking zop at the time. Maybe it’s worth another try tho. I’ll try ltheanine tho.

U were lucky u got off before it caused any damage. Worst mistake of my life x

[c4...]

higher than 15mg is probably too high. I'd try it again. Trazodone did not work on me when I was still taking the Zop. It did start to work afterward, getting me 2hr, and slowly up to 5hr sleep.

I never tried Mirt and Zop together, but I imagine it would not have worked. Mirt on its own at a low dosage is helping me a lot now though.

Shyna,

I don't know if it will help you to know this or not, but you are probably getting more sleep than what little you think you are getting. I had a sleep study done early in December and I was dead certain that I was awake for the entire 5+ hours that I was in the lab before I gave up and went home. The test results indicated that I actually had a total of 86 minutes of actual sleep even though it was broken by 24 awakenings. It wasn't much, but it accounted for why I did not feel like total crap all the next day which turned out to be a busy one. That is why I always suggest staying in bed even if you feel that you are not sleeping while in withdrawal. As you know by now, your body will sleep before any critical point is reached and periods of better sleep will come and go for a while.

[4b...]

The Circadia is a medical device (same as Fisher Wallace). It calms the brain and. Encourages natural production of healing neurotransmitters.

I’d probably alternative Benadryl and Unisom. Take every third day off. This way you get some sleep and avoid getting used to them. Hang in there!

I tried the Fisher Wallace Stimulator during the thick of my insomnia issues,  It didn't help at all.  Not much will touch Benzo-induced insomnia short of an Rx drug, and I'd be careful with those.

Thanks lottie. If it’s the same as a tens machine I tried that and it didn’t help at all x

Thanku for ur suggestions tho x I appreciate u trying. X

Shyna,

I don't know if it will help you to know this or not, but you are probably getting more sleep than what little you think you are getting. I had a sleep study done early in December and I was dead certain that I was awake for the entire 5+ hours that I was in the lab before I gave up and went home. The test results indicated that I actually had a total of 86 minutes of actual sleep even though it was broken by 24 awakenings. It wasn't much, but it accounted for why I did not feel like total crap all the next day which turned out to be a busy one. That is why I always suggest staying in bed even if you feel that you are not sleeping while in withdrawal. As you know by now, your body will sleep before any critical point is reached and periods of better sleep will come and go for a while.

Thanks aloha. I had a sleep study done early in tolerance and it said I slept 5 hrs even tho I felt totally awake and that was on 2 zopiclone. I don’t know if I believe those machines. If I was asleep it was so light it didn’t count. Not in my opinion. The operator said the machine doesn’t lie and then told me I had sleep state misperception. Bullshit. I might have slept light like u snd had some sleep but it wasn’t 5 hrs.

[c4...]

I was tempted to go to a sleep clinic at my worst. I was desperate and supposedly those are the experts.

But it seems all they know how to do is diagnose you with sleep apnea. And if you're a lucky one hat doesn't have it, you just get told "yeah you don't have apnea" and send you home. Just like ER. I went to the ER once. The doc that talked to me was a complete azzhat.

It's true that nothing much short of Rx will touch the benzo brain.

I tried the Alpha Stim and all it did was make me incredibly nauseous. I have mild vertigo though, so I guess I have a negative reaction to it.

Trazodone helped a little, but I believe SNRI's only help if your GABA receptors are coming back.

I do believe that if you find something that helps, use it.  Right now, without Mirtazapine, I would be in the same boat, sleeping zero percent. Since it seems to help me, I decided I will stick with it for a month or two if I have to.

I would not bother worrying about all the supplements that say they increase GABA or are GABAergic.

Even if true, they likely hit other GABA receptors (not the Benzo ones), and they do so very mildly, so it's unlikely to affect recovery that much IMO. But I am not condoning anything, just what seems to be working for me, and right now that is: Very low dose Mirtazapine, and L-Theanine

I’m glad it’s helping u Andros. I’ve been down that road unfortunately so not really keen to do it again. Mertazapine made me so angry too. Really aggressive.

Yeah sleep study for insomnia is useless. U have insomnia... yeah no shit.  :laugh:

I think we just do it hoping that they’ll be able to magically fix it, but they can’t. When the sleep study dr told me I had sleep misperception I just said ok thanks for the call and hung up.

Sometimes I wonder why some of us have it so bad. It just doesn’t seem fair

Shyna,

Thanks aloha. I had a sleep study done early in tolerance and it said I slept 5 hrs even tho I felt totally awake and that was on 2 zopiclone. I don’t know if I believe those machines. If I was asleep it was so light it didn’t count. Not in my opinion. The operator said the machine doesn’t lie and then told me I had sleep state misperception. Bullshit. I might have slept light like u snd had some sleep but it wasn’t 5 hrs.

In my case the sleep was so broken up (86 minutes with 24 awakenings) that I only remembered the longer periods of being awake. Such sleep still provides some restoration.

[c4...]

Yes at least it’s some sleep. X better than nothing

I'm going off Mirt tonight. the 3.75mg is starting to lose effect, as I only got 5hr with it last night.

Instead, I am trying Valerian with L-Theanine.

I'll report tomorrow if it helped me. I think it will.

I know I get pissed when people always tell me the same crap "Have you tried Melatonin? Have you tried Valerian?"

But I actually haven't tried Valerian. This is my first time with it. I was afraid of becoming addicted to it, and that's why I tried Zopiclone before natural supps (HAHAH and look where I am now). I wish I had exhausted every natural option before trying these poisonous drugs. I was freaking out because I had 3 day insomnia, and the Zop turned it into 45 day insomnia, how nice :)

But I am getting broken sleep, enough to do my work and even started doing some light workouts. I think BioPQQ has been phenomenal. I really felt the sleep difference in a week. I think that should be the one supp all of us affected by Benzos should try for at least 2 weeks, and see what happens.

Yes that’s the problem with mert if it works at all. They say u shouldn’t use valerian after z drug wd because it effects the same receptors. But it’s up to you, u weren’t on them as long as me x

Yes at least it’s some sleep. X better than nothing

I'm going off Mirt tonight. the 3.75mg is starting to lose effect, as I only got 5hr with it last night.

Instead, I am trying Valerian with L-Theanine.

I'll report tomorrow if it helped me. I think it will.

I know I get pissed when people always tell me the same crap "Have you tried Melatonin? Have you tried Valerian?"

But I actually haven't tried Valerian. This is my first time with it. I was afraid of becoming addicted to it, and that's why I tried Zopiclone before natural supps (HAHAH and look where I am now). I wish I had exhausted every natural option before trying these poisonous drugs. I was freaking out because I had 3 day insomnia, and the Zop turned it into 45 day insomnia, how nice :)

But I am getting broken sleep, enough to do my work and even started doing some light workouts. I think BioPQQ has been phenomenal. I really felt the sleep difference in a week. I think that should be the one supp all of us affected by Benzos should try for at least 2 weeks, and see what happens.

Hi,

You are a short-term user so hopefully you'll recover fairly quickly?  Although there is no guarantee that how long you were on determines how long your WD and sleep issues will last.

I know everyone is different, but IMO, 5 hours is a "significant amount" of sleep.  I would have given anything to get 5 hours, which I never really got during the first 9 months after I jumped CT.  In fact, I average 5-10 hours of very broken sleep per week for months.  Many others on this insomnia board would say they'd love 5 hours of sleep per night.  So while you might be getting pissed that people are telling you to try Melatonin or Valerian, others might be getting "pissed" that you are complaining about only getting 5 hours of sleep?  Just saying....It's all perspective.

I found that showing gratitude for any and all sleep can really help you cope with the bad nights.

Good luck with everything and I hope your sleep issues resolve soon.