Anyone have experience with Vraylar?

[Gr...]

So now my psychiatrist is recommending this anti-psychotic called Vraylar. It has only been on the market for about 2 years, so not a lot of time to study long-term effects. She says that it has helped nearly every patient she has given it to. However, I am reluctant to start any more meds (as I am already trying to taper off of diazepam and seroquel). Just wondered if anybody has had any experience with Vraylar. Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!!

Grace

[de...]
Apparenty it's cariprazine, a third generation antipshychotic (partial agonist at dopamine receptors, and not antagonist). But I'm wondering why would you need another antipsychotic when you're already on quetiapine?

SRR, me too, which is why I'm wary. Pacenik, her rationale is that the drug helps with depression and anxiety. She said that there are currently trials being conducted to try to get it approved as a drug to treat depression & anxiety.

Grace

Me personally....If it were me, I would not add another drug, especially a second antipsychotic. I'm sorry but doctors tend to downplay antipsychotics as if they can be used for "other things" like anxiety or sleep etc. And in my opinion they are hardcore and should only be used for actual psychosis, because the risks of them are just too high for me.

I would ask for other options.

But ya know, I had bad experiences with APs

I have taken Abilify and Latuda before which are very much like Vraylar.  They both gave me pretty intense anxiety.  Have taken Seroquel also and it was very different - helped a lot with sleep and was pretty calming.

Seroquel is more ideal for benzo withdrawal as it generally helps with sleep and anxiety/panic.  Some of these newer atypical antipsychotics are known to increase anxiety/panic in normal people, cause insomnia, and have akathisia as a side effect. 

I’m not one to tell people not to take other meds but I personally would steer clear of Vraylar/Latuda/Abilify as well as Wellbutrin while going through benzo withdrawal.  I think most other antidepressants can have some benefit.