Advice on Clonazapam (klonopin) taper

[Ki...]

Hello

I'm looking at starting to taper of my medication

I understand and have read alot and know everyone is different depending on dose type time etc and was wanted to hear any advice from people on similar dose and length of time on them

I was taking Xanax only when needed for 6 years with no problems with withdrawl in between etc. Then moved countries and was given Clomazpam which I could take only when needed for 2 years, until a life event and then I was taking everyday on average 4 x 0.5 a day at points more than that and closer together.

It's hard to remember exactly dose and how long now.

As of right now I've been constantly taking 4 x 0.5 every 4 hours for 4 years minimum.

Not abusing them

I just got myself on my own of Codine 3 weeks clean now  prior to that was on oxycodine total opiates 7 years roughly.

(back surgery cronic pain etc)

I'm terrified to start tapering of the Clomazpam as after experiencing opiate withdrawal. Which as far as I read is easier than benzos to get off.

I suffer depression anxiety and terrified of doing this on my own and what might happen to mood anxiety etc etc.

Can you make larger cuts at the start and then make smaller cuts when getting down to low dose.

Feel I rambling now I hope this makes sense.

One thing I just wanted to say if how pi$#ed I'm am at the Drs and drug companies never warned on both benzodiazepines and opiates really angry in this position now.

Any advice welcome I will be doing this completely alone.

Hi Kiwi,

Before we get started I wanted to clarify the drug you're taking, is it Clonazepam, there are many drugs with similar spelling so it's important we get this right.

Pamster

Okay, thanks.  To answer your question, some can make larger cuts at the beginning of their taper, it all depends on the person but most need to slow down at the end.  You can try a larger reduction and see how you handle it to guide your next reduction.  Most members who taper Clonazepam say they begin to experience symptoms about 3 days after with some lessening of symptoms around days 7-10. 

An important thing to remember is that being in a hurry and reducing too rapidly will only make the pain worse, it won't bring about recovery any faster.  Once you're off the drug there is still much healing to be done so you might as well use the drug to mitigate symptoms as you taper because once you're off, you're at their mercy.

Do you feel stable enough to start considering you recently quit Codine?

Hi

I'm still feeling effects of withdrawal but over worst physical withdrawals from the Codine I did taper those over 3months. I feel like crap physically mentally anyway so thought why not keep going.

I'm not really sure but I know I want off them although scared how I feel cope and deal with reasons I was on both.

And the time it will take to get clean.

Can you explain a bit about the healing once clean?

I've cut down to 3 x.5 a day for the last 4 days I'm trying to take one every 6 hours as long as I can get to sleep before due another as such.

I feeling knackered restless legs headache mild sweating overnight so far.

I'm thinking I will try wait until adjusted to 3 a day and then maybe half one out of 3 per day. I was thinking depending on how the next few days goes that I make semi large cuts until I hit that stage of really bad withdrawals.

Or do you think I'm better shaving a bit of each pill.

I going to find it hard as once I decided on something like wanting off the meds I just want off. And it taking probably years possibly scares me.

What is important to understand is that when your brain sensed the presence of the benzo it had to make changes in how it sends messages to your central nervous system.  As you remove the drug, your brain begins the process of reversing those changes, when the drug is finally removed your brain will continue to make the repairs its been making all along.  This repair process is painful but it's the only way we have to be free of the drug.  This post may help you understand. What is happening in your brain

Another thing to understand about benzo's is that when our body becomes dependent on and tolerant to it begins to cause the very things we were put on it to fix, which includes anxiety, panic and insomnia, only it's about a thousand times worse than our normal condition.  Most members say that when they recover, the previous issues they went on the drug to mitigate don't bother them anymore because by comparison, the original condition is minor.

I'd hold this dose for awhile, and reduce as slowly as you can, you've been through a lot and I hate to see you add to your misery if you can avoid it.  Tapering shouldn't be a race to get off the drug, it should just be a part of your life, something you're committed to long term as you live your life.  Incapacitating yourself isn't the way to do this, a symptom based taper is best.

Hi Thank you for all the information.

Do you think cutting .5mg from 2mg a day is to much?.

It's day 5 on 1.5mg a day and first signs of withdrawl been upset stomach and all that goes with that.

Should I just wait this out now that I've gone 5 days?.

I live alone and semi rural and don't have help or people around.

Also do I move to another place in benzo buddies forum now?.

Kind regards

You're in the right place to talk about your taper here but if you'd like support from other members, the withdrawal board has a lot more activity.  Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Its typical for your symptoms to appear now, they may increase in the next few days, hopefully they'll settle but your cut was pretty large.  We won't know how you're going to react until you live through it, you're the guinea pig in this terrible experience I'm sorry to say.

Symptom based tapers are best so if you find out this cut is too painful then you may want to make a smaller one next time.  We suggest cutting your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks and your first was was a 25% cut, that can hurt.  Its a lot easier to increase your reduction than to suffer through a reduction that invites terrible symptoms.

Hi

I'm 12 days into 3x .5 I couldn't go back to taking more withdrawls I guess a moderate horrible mental effects etc not really functioning but lucky I have a injury so no where to be and really don't want to be around or put this on others.

I'm trying to hold at this dose until my body has adjusted.

Is there any average time frame for a body to adjust or is everyone different as I expect? time dose etc.

Also are there any supplements vitimins that help with physical symptoms RLS tingling etc or mental side?.

Kind regards

I would think your symptoms should begin to settle down soon, I didn't taper but I've read from others they can around this time, this is why we suggest waiting 10 days to 2 weeks after a reduction before cutting again.  Give it time, and and use this episode to inform your decision on what to do next time.  Make a smaller reduction or hold longer, all of these options are available to you.

I don't put much faith in supplements because I've seen too many members hurt by them, they work for some but not others and taking the chance of them revving up symptoms doesn't seem worth it to me.  If you'd like to take a look at the Alternative Therapies & Supplements board you'll see many threads that members contribute to.