Lithium

[Mi...]

I am a desperate mom, so seeking any help I can. (First, I am three years out from jumping from benzos, and struggling, but this message is about my son.) I realize many of you got started on benzos due to cyclothymia (a milder form of bipolar disorder.) My 35-year old son is exhibiting all the symptoms of cyclothymia, but does not recognize that his behavior is odd. My father, sister and brother all had cyclothymia, and things did not work out well for them. My son also drinks too much and has agoraphobia and panic disorder. I have warned him about benzos and antidepressants, so he does not take them. My questions: What helped you or anyone you know with cyclothymia? In your experience, is lithium helpful, even in low doses? Are any other drugs okay? How can I get him to seek help? Are psychiatrists any good (they have damaged me with the benzo issue, which started all due to PTSD). If you would be so kind as to give me any information you have, it would mean a lot. You can PM me, as I know this site is for benzo withdrawal.

MirandaJane

The true bipolar people I know have to be on medication.  I’m not sure there is any good way around it. 

Lithium is probably an option but Lamictal may be a good choice rather than getting on an atypical antipsychotic.  A lot of those anticonvulsants can help with bipolar in some capacity.