The spice cumin?????

[Ga...]

Anyone have any issues with the spice cumin?  Was feeling good today until about noon when I ate warm spinach with cumin sprinkled on it.  Within five minutes my head got very hot, I saw black and almost passed out!  Called my GP and he told me to take my BP and HR:  first reading was 148/98 HR 85, second was 117/76. HR 80.  HR on Kardia was 90 and normal...no Afib!  I seem to remember that cumin was mentioned as possibly causing some issues?  Any thoughts appreciated!

[10...]

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2010/398312/

In conclusion, this study suggests a sedative effect of NS methanolic extract by modification of neurotransmitter amino acids release, because the NS extract may induce an important release of GABA and Gly in the cultured neurons medium and therefore, exert an increase in the agonist action over their receptors.

Had an episode mid-morning today after eating some cumin sprinkled on a warm spinach salad; my head got hot, felt like I was in a blackened tunnel, and just felt off!  This happened five or so minutes after I ate the spinach.  Any one have a similar issue.  THANKS.

Had an episode mid-morning today after eating some cumin sprinkled on a warm spinach salad; my head got hot, felt like I was in a blackened tunnel, and just felt off!  This happened five or so minutes after I ate the spinach.  Any one have a similar issue.  THANKS.

Cumin stimulates the second phase of detox (the process when finally the toxins are made water soluble in order to be released over the kidneys). Maybe the "dosage" was too much or maybe your body still works on an overload in phase I in the detox process. It is quiet interesting how intelligent the system reacts. Cumin is great at the right moment though. Do not see Cumin as bad, - but maybe for now.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2010/398312/

In conclusion, this study suggests a sedative effect of NS methanolic extract by modification of neurotransmitter amino acids release, because the NS extract may induce an important release of GABA and Gly in the cultured neurons medium and therefore, exert an increase in the agonist action over their receptors.

This was an in vitro (literally “in glass” as in a test tube/Petri dish) experiment using cultured rat neurons. From the abstract:

Cultured rat cortical neurons were exposed to different times and concentrations of NS dry methanolic extract and cell viability was then determined by a quantitative colorimetric method.

NS =  Nigella sativa L. = black cumin seed

[10...]

This was an in vitro (literally “in glass” as in a test tube/Petri dish) experiment using cultured rat neurons. From the abstract:

The point is it does mess with neurotransmitters.

I responded on the other topic in which you asked the question.

It does not "mess" with neuro transmitters. Thats what I mean - we cannot just say things are dangerous or mess with something just because our system cannot handle it at the moment.

So just like so many other weird episodes/symptoms, I may never know.  Just so scary to go from feeling like a perfect 10 to a 2.  My heart rate did increase then dropped back to normal after about 15 minutes.  Still have the headache, though! 

So just like so many other weird episodes/symptoms, I may never know.  Just so scary to go from feeling like a perfect 10 to a 2.  My heart rate did increase then dropped back to normal after about 15 minutes.  Still have the headache, though!

I had so many allergies, I know how it feels. But so many are gone. Cumin is quiet potent, same thing with garlic. Your body is still healing, one day Cumin might not be a problem any more. For now I think you cannot really prevent that this might never happen with something else, therefore I recommend to note down on a list, on what you have reacted before..