Help asap pleas-progesterone users how long before withdrawal sx kick in

[jo...]

I am tapering valium and use vaginal utrogestan (which is exactly the same as Prometrium only different in name)

Due to the cross tolerance of progesterone and valium I am extremely worried.

I have abnormal vaginal bleeding (doc knows about it, not cancer) and I get up middle of night to urinate.

I use the utrogestan/prometrium capsule vaginally and orally, one in mouth and one in vagina.

Last thing last night, I had what I thought was an empty bladder, and I inserted the capsule in my vagina.

I normally see small fragments of the white capsule in the loo the next day, but this does not worry me as I know the capsule has had long enough to absorb.

Anyway, I got up when it was still dark with no idea what time it was, and needed to urinate.

There was lots of white utrogestan/prometrium in the loo, more than I had ever seen before, so I am worried that it came out, before it had time to absorb.

The capsules are 100mg so that is like a high dose of benzo.

My question is, how long will it be before I feel any withdrawal from the progesterone?

When you ladies have stopped or reduced any form of progesterone, how long does it take for you to feel the effects of it?

Journey:

If this was a one time happening, you should be fine.  You would probably have felt symptoms within 2 days but if you continue on with your use you shouldn't have to give it another thought.

I was on progesterone 200 before I discovered the effects long term use of clonazepam and I kept on that dose for a year before I started tapering both the P and estradiol.  This was at the time I was tapering off of the C.  I have tapered the P at 50 mg each time and I am super sensitive.  I had symptoms for a few days after each drop but made sure I tapered with a month or so in between tapers.  The progesterone is such a good sleep aid and I know it has helped my sleep throughout this whole journey.  I am 20 months out with using just 50 mg per day and a tiny amount of estradiol.

I am able to babysit my beautiful year old grandson and just finished taping and painting new drywall in a big kitchen for my daughter. 

I hope this eases your concerns.

Have a wonderful day!!

Klonkar

Journey:

If this was a one time happening, you should be fine.  You would probably have felt symptoms within 2 days but if you continue on with your use you shouldn't have to give it another thought.

I was on progesterone 200 before I discovered the effects long term use of clonazepam and I kept on that dose for a year before I started tapering both the P and estradiol.  This was at the time I was tapering off of the C.  I have tapered the P at 50 mg each time and I am super sensitive.  I had symptoms for a few days after each drop but made sure I tapered with a month or so in between tapers.  The progesterone is such a good sleep aid and I know it has helped my sleep throughout this whole journey.  I am 20 months out with using just 50 mg per day and a tiny amount of estradiol.

I am able to babysit my beautiful year old grandson and just finished taping and painting new drywall in a big kitchen for my daughter. 

Have a wonderful day!!

Klonkar

Hi Klonkar

Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience.

I hope you don't mind more questions.

What made you taper the progesterone?

How did you taper the progesterone? mine's capsules so impossible to taper.

Why did you stay on the last 50mg?

I really appreciate your post and it helped.

[49...]
I am curious why you want to taper progesterone? Progesterone increases brain allopregnanolone, which is a protective neurosteroid. It is naturally produced by everyone, so there is no escaping it. However, it likely keeps the brain calm. Allopregnanolone and progesterone do act on GABA, but they are not benzos, they do not damage GABA receptors, and should be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Following this with interest as I am hypothyroid and progesterone is helpful for those who are hypo and progesterone helps with thyroid function.

[49...]
I agree that progesterone helps with hypo - I’m hypothyroid too. I’ll share my experience. I used progesterone during the luteal phase (oral) and stopped when I got my period. It was a low dose, so withdrawal isn’t an issue since the body naturally unregulated GABA receptors as the progesterone drops naturally. I then continued a very low dose thereafter and have now lost my period (Ack). I’ve stopped now, so we will see. When I stopped, I just tapered over a few days. I basically split my capsule into a bunch of empty capsules to titration down. I don’t think I had withdrawal, but it’s hard to tell what’s a wave and what is caused by something.

Journey:

I decided to taper down on both the estrogen and progesterone because both of them are corticol steroids as you already know.  I have a private theory that nothing that is a positive allorsteric modulator is something we should be taking at this point (meaning me in post W/D).  I have read several posts on this forum that people indicate that they have symptoms from getting off it or getting off of it too quickly.  I went off 50 mg at a time, starting at 200 which is a standard dose for many women and I went down 50 mg at a time, using a cream formula.  I went down on the estrodiol proportionately and am taking about 6 1/2 percent of a 25 mg tablet.  I had the compounding pharmacy make me some cream so I could use a 4 pump cream to taper off, first 3 pumps, then two and now 1.  I have done fine tapering down this way.  I am a firm believer that any kind of GABA  effecting drug or herb, since they act just like benzos, can delay our healing even though they are just modulators. 

Like I first wrote, I believe most women can do fine and even great on some HRT and I had "0" readings for a long time.  My last lab test showed all of my hormone levels, including testosterone were still going up as I was tapering off the HRT.  This BW withdrawal thing really messes up our endocrine system but for me at 20 months off, things are slowly improving.  I  started taking L-theanine which help regulate hormone levels and think that is helping also.  I am limiting my PAM's to those that I've mentioned here. 

I agree with Fluffernutter123, that P  is a hormone that is the "calm and relaxing" hormone and does counter estrogen if one is supplementing with that as well.  I do believe it helps with sleep and it is a hormone which women especially should be making to some extent most of our lives.  I am doing great at 50 mg and the snippet of E.  I continue to heal, albeit some months-long waves, but I am a long term/high  dose user of clonazepam and I never expected my healing to be easy.  It's going better than I ever thought possible.

I hope this helps, 

Klonkar

[49...]
Klonkar, 50mg of progesterone and a little estrogen is a wise choice to stick with in my opinion. I use 25mg progesterone during my luteal phase and it's fantastic. I get palpitations without it. I just did a ZRT hormone test and found that at 48 my hormones are that of a 30 year old, so that was nice. Don't know how long that will last, but...yay for now. I still use the small dose though for the palps. There are a few rodent studies showing that allopregnanolone levels in the brain help with benzo healing (raised by progesterone), but those are rodents, so who knows...

fluffernutter123 :D  Your name makes me smile!!  Thanks for your thoughts on the HRT.  I am so glad that you are feeling so youthful on a little dose of it.  I will stick with it for all of your good named reasons.

Happy trails,

Klonkar

• 1 month later...

Journey:

Have a wonderful day!!

Klonkar

Hello Klonkar and sorry for late replies everyone, I forgot I made this post.

I am up and down so it was hard to say if I felt effects of progesterone.

How did you manage to taper the progesterone?

Mines capsules, cream not available here, I want to stop hurt, want to cold turkey it but scared to.

I just read a bit of a blog on here by someone who got off benzos, started a small amount of cream, ended up on back 2mg klonopin, I think.

You are very kind.

I am curious why you want to taper progesterone? Progesterone increases brain allopregnanolone, which is a protective neurosteroid. It is naturally produced by everyone, so there is no escaping it. However, it likely keeps the brain calm. Allopregnanolone and progesterone do act on GABA, but they are not benzos, they do not damage GABA receptors, and should be helpful.

Hello

I can’t taper the progesterone, I have to cold turkey as it’s in capsule form and cream not available here.

I am tapering Valium, now on 21mgs, I just want to get off all pharmecuticals.

I am 54 so I don’t make much of my own progesterone, am sick of not having a life, hate relying on pharmacies, want natural sleep back.

There are women on progesterone only who come off it, but I’ve heard on here many women who have had benzo dependency become addicted to the progesterone because of their past benzo addiction. One woman got off benzos, took a tiny bit of progesterone, this set her back, she ended up on a large dose of klomopin and has not posted for years.

Following this with interest as I am hypothyroid and progesterone is helpful for those who are hypo and progesterone helps with thyroid function.

It’s cross tolerant with benzodiazepines.

Women who have never taken benzodiazepines can come off progesterone fine.

Women who have taken benzodiazepines, however, end up addicted to progesterone as it is cross tolerant and on here there are some horrible reports of bad experiences coming off it.

I agree that progesterone helps with hypo - I’m hypothyroid too. I’ll share my experience. I used progesterone during the luteal phase (oral) and stopped when I got my period. It was a low dose, so withdrawal isn’t an issue since the body naturally unregulated GABA receptors as the progesterone drops naturally. I then continued a very low dose thereafter and have now lost my period (Ack). I’ve stopped now, so we will see. When I stopped, I just tapered over a few days. I basically split my capsule into a bunch of empty capsules to titration down. I don’t think I had withdrawal, but it’s hard to tell what’s a wave and what is caused by something.

Hello and thank you for sharing your experience.

Did you use micronised progesterone?

Those capsules are impossible to split and we do not have cream here so I cannot taper it.

How did you manage to split the capsule? Mine is full of liquids and I have no clue how to do it.

Journey:

I decided to taper down on both the estrogen and progesterone because both of them are corticol steroids as you already know.  I have a private theory that nothing that is a positive allorsteric modulator is something we should be taking at this point (meaning me in post W/D).  I have read several posts on this forum that people indicate that they have symptoms from getting off it or getting off of it too quickly.  I went off 50 mg at a time, starting at 200 which is a standard dose for many women and I went down 50 mg at a time, using a cream formula.  I went down on the estrodiol proportionately and am taking about 6 1/2 percent of a 25 mg tablet.  I had the compounding pharmacy make me some cream so I could use a 4 pump cream to taper off, first 3 pumps, then two and now 1.  I have done fine tapering down this way.  I am a firm believer that any kind of GABA  effecting drug or herb, since they act just like benzos, can delay our healing even though they are just modulators. 

Like I first wrote, I believe most women can do fine and even great on some HRT and I had "0" readings for a long time.  My last lab test showed all of my hormone levels, including testosterone were still going up as I was tapering off the HRT.  This BW withdrawal thing really messes up our endocrine system but for me at 20 months off, things are slowly improving.  I  started taking L-theanine which help regulate hormone levels and think that is helping also.  I am limiting my PAM's to those that I've mentioned here. 

I agree with Fluffernutter123, that P  is a hormone that is the "calm and relaxing" hormone and does counter estrogen if one is supplementing with that as well.  I do believe it helps with sleep and it is a hormone which women especially should be making to some extent most of our lives.  I am doing great at 50 mg and the snippet of E.  I continue to heal, albeit some months-long waves, but I am a long term/high  dose user of clonazepam and I never expected my healing to be easy.  It's going better than I ever thought possible.

I hope this helps, 

Klonkar

Hello again Klonkar.

Mine are liquid films and 100 mg and are impossible to split

I don’t feel safe staying on them because they are steroids and are cross tolerant with benzos.

We do not have the cream here in the UK so I cannot tipper. I have to go cold turkey and after reading a blog from someone who used a small amount of cream and then Ended up on a large amount of Clonopin after being clean of benzos scares me to death. That lady has not posted since 2013.

At this time she was still on a high dose of Clonopin and it makes me worry how things ended up for her.

I use gel for Estogen, easier to taper.

I am glad you are healing.