Looking for a good scale

[Gr...]

Hello, Grace5.  I have zero knowledge or experience with scales, so I used the Search function and found this post from a senior moderator who does:

A lot of people use a Gem-20 (Gemini-20) scale from Amazon.  They cost only around $22 and do a remarkably good job for the money.  Accuracy is probably good to ~3 mg or so.  Still, that's good enough for a lot of tapers.

If you want more accuracy, you'll have to pay for it.  There are lots of decent milligram balances on Amazon and eBay with ~1 mg accuracy.  They tend to cost $200-$300 ish.  0.1 mg accuracy will probably cost $1k, but I don't feel there's any reason to worry about that level of accuracy.  My lab assays 10 mg CBD pills regularly for that industry, and we only use a milligram balance.

Using the balance properly is important.  The balance must be on a level, sturdy surface away from vibrations and wind currents (including your breath).  Don't learn on the table when you weigh samples.

Badsocref's recommendations are perfect.  Many of us use them and they're perfect.  I got the Gemini, as it was on sale.  But the Gem-20 is equally as good and priced right.

Accuracy is good to~3 mg? Does that mean anything below 3 mg is accurate? How tiny can it measure? Or does that mean anything above 3 mg is accurate?

Accuracy is good to~3 mg? Does that mean anything below 3 mg is accurate? How tiny can it measure? Or does that mean anything above 3 mg is accurate?

Hi.  Not sure where you got the 3mg.  Here is what the Gemini-20 says;  It is great for meds, not just gems, diamonds, etc.  :thumbsup:

American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale

The GEMINI-20 is Portable, highly accurate, Milligrams (0.001g=1mg) digital scale, perfect for precious stones such as gems, diamonds, etc.

-20g x 0.001g (capacity / accuracy).