If your struggling, I highly recommend a coach

[Ac...]

A benzo withdrawal coach has been helpful and I only wish I contacted one at the beginning. Trying to sift though all the information and opinions on the internet is too overwhelming for one person. Don't try to do this by your self and don’t make the mistake of thinking benzo buddies is the only place to find help. I dint know what sources of information I could trust and that was harmful to my recovery.

I didn't have a specific benzo coach.  I did meet a therapist who was very much benzo wise and also she was a nutritional therapist working with PTSD.  I also had a very benzo wise ND.  Those two were so helpful in getting me through, and their suggestions and advice were excellent.

• 1 month later...

I met with a therapist all throughout my taper. She wasn't "benzo wise" but she read the Ashton Manual and educated herself about benzos. My talks with her were invaluable. I couldn't have gotten through w/d without her. Oh, and I see her still.  :)

I'm glad you're getting some help, accused.

Best,

Katz

On the other hand, I found a degree of control by educating myself. I couldn't have just taken the advice of a coach without doing my own research. My advice is to think about who you have in your life, or perhaps who you had in your life (many of us have lost touch with old friends), and what their experience and character is like. Some people are more practical and some are more caring. Others are like diamonds in the muck, possessing both qualities. Good luck finding one of those but it might be possible to find a few people to lean on to cover all bases. The way I handled it was to research the chemical side for myself but engage with a couple of family members about what I was doing and what the possible outcomes might be. After a little while, their input became more useful because they gained experience with me. It meant that they could give me emotional support coming from a place of understanding.

Whether you go it alone or with some coach/therapist/counsellor, the decisions have to be made by you. I think it's very important to educate ourselves about what we're going through. Granted that it can be stressful and it's definitely good to have somebody to help you put the pieces together. Don't delegate the task of figuring it out to somebody else. Anybody who wants to take full control of the process can't be qualified for the job, it's such a bad idea.