Success!

[He...]

It is exactly 2 months since I took my last clonazepam dose.  When I read other's stories, I think well maybe it's too soon to say?  But, here I am.  I think it's time for my success story.

I had a 14 month taper from a dose of .5.  Some will say that is a low dose.  But, I had a hard withdrawal and suffered so many symptoms. 

In fact, I had begun one taper and reinstated, then started my taper over.  So from start to finish this took 25 months.  I was dealing with kindling and major life stressors at the same time.  In total, I have taken benzos and stopped benzos now 4 times in my life (I am age 65 now).  I have also taken zopiclone.  I took those drugs for years at a time.

I tapered slowly and with small reductions, followed symptoms, held a bit longer when it got too hard. 

When I got to the last dose, I thought will I suffer more like so many have?  But because I tapered to zero and walked off, my acute phase happened in the last 2 months of my taper and then more mild in the following 6 weeks.  It was really okay.  It was not any worse than withdrawal symptoms had been all along.  And it was actually not nearly as bad as the worst of my withdrawal. 

What worked for me was taking the time, making no more than 10% reductions and often less, accepting withdrawal symptoms, keeping my eye on the future, doing things even when I felt I could not, and learning to manage the life long anxiety that got me into benzos in the first place.

I had added 300 mgs gabapentin to my taper.  I was reluctant, but at a certain point I felt I had to get help.  I have also tapered that  now.  The gabapentin taper was really easy for me. 

I am not having any symptoms at all now.  I feel 100% fine.  I sleep without any meds.  I have no anxiety.  I am hopeful and focused.  I realize that even if something comes up and I feel symptoms, I will just do what I need to do and cross that bridge.  I cannot live in fear of that.

Some have said that I am 'lucky'.  I am not sure it was luck.  I definitely had a very difficult time, and at times was afraid for my life and in emergency.  Benzo withdrawal taught me to pray.  I felt the same hopelessness anyone feels as the months rolled by.  I was very alone, and did this entirely alone.  So, not sure where the lucky part comes in.  Except, eventually you will all be 'lucky', too.  Someday your symptoms will end and you will be happy to walk away from this experience.

Healing happens.  I promise.

Oh Healing

I am so happy for you!

You deserve this, you did it correctly, and as you say it wasn't easy for you.

To think you did this all alone, amazing!!

You are a role model to me, and to others on here, on a daily basis!

I know that you are always there to offer advice on how to get through these difficult days!

Thanks so much for all you do!

Congrats on a well fought journey.

Hugs,

WinnieDog

You are such a strong person to have done this.  Thank you for inspiring the rest of us.  I know I can do this and I know it will be difficult.  I am praying also and asking for healing.

I've been waiting for this success story Healing64 and I'm so glad it's finally here!  You did such a good job of listening to your body while focusing on the finish line, you did this your way which is what we all should do.  I know some of your story and I think you're one of the strongest people I 'know' and you worked hard to get where you are today, well done.

Thank you for writing your story and for helping so many others get closer to theirs.

Healing 64,

Such an inspiration you are! You give the rest of us just starting our journey hope and guidance, and I appreciate all your support! Congratulations! You should be extremely proud of yourself, and I am honored to congratulate you! Keep supporting and inspiring us on our journeys please!

[9e...]

Soooooooooooooooo HAPPY for you!  maybe because I did a long slow taper ( 2 1/2 years for 12mg of Valium) it wont end up being as bad as I think either. We can only hope for the best, right.....CONGRATS!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

May your future keep getting brighter and brighter every day.......

• 2 weeks later...

Healing64 I just read your success story it made me cry.  I am so happy for you!  I really understand the 10% and less that you did.  I'm struggling right now and your story helped me tonight.  God bless you!

Dianedeedee

Congratulations Healing 

Your post will bring hope and encouragement to those still struggling.  Well done with your taper, not rushing it, you did such a good job.  Withdrawal  can be a very lonely place, i know from experience, it takes a lot of strength to keep going,  and prayers helped me too.   

Thank you for the support you give to others.  I would never have made it without the support from forum members,  very often posting words of comfort,  while struggling themselves.    I wish you continued healing and a wonderful benzo free life!

Magrita :hug: 

Congratulations to you, you deserve these kudos for taking such good care of your taper!!!

I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and you relish and enjoy every moment of being benzo free.

pianogirl  :smitten:

You deserve all the success, you have been supportive of so many people on this site from just a little I have seen including me.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again everyone!  I am nearly 3 months out now.  I am still doing well, and even better.  I am hopeful and looking forward to everything again  :smitten:

Congratulations Healing! I am so happy for you! I really hope when i walk off its not too bad. Im doing a liquid taper and I feel pretty ok, no worse than when I started so far.  Hopefully a couple months and done.  But, 6ou know how it goes, so we will see. 🙏🙏❤❤