Blood sugars

[Pa...]

I was curious, does anyone else have high blood sugars (with no previous diabetes diagnosis). I can’t find any information on it aside from the fact that diabetes can cause these same nervous system issues. I was never diabetic before going through this but now my blood sugars go through the roof. Others have wrote on here that their blood sugars tend to get low. I was just wondering if I was the only one getting HIGH blood sugars from this without being diabetic before hand.

So it’s within diabetic range. If I eat let’s say 60grams of carbs it goes to 206. 200 and over is considered diabetic 141 to 190 is considered pre-diabetic.  I really don’t eat sweets so I don’t know about how high sugars would take it. But, I do know if I eat even 30 grams of carbs it goes above 140, which it shouldn’t.

[cd...]
Do the high blood sugar levels remain high for at least two hours after the food is consumed.  If so, you should probably get that checked out.

It does stay higher than 200 for more than two hours. My concern is that I seem to be the only one on here with this symptom!  I have a continuous glucose monitor now. But no one else seems to develop this as a symptom. I wasn’t diabetic before I got off Ativan! 

• 2 weeks later...

With antipsychotic therapy, metabolic syndrome develops: obesity, hyperlipidemia and insulin resistance, leading to diabetes mellitus.

Do these things go away after the body settles down and returns to homeostasis???

• 1 month later...
I sure hope so too!  I noticed mine get really high when I’m in a wave. And get really low when I’m in a window! It’s the craziest thing!  I am also on Metoprolol too though and that helps my blood sugars a bit.

My blood sugar was high 286 , it is because to eating too much sweets during Benzo depression. I'm trying to lose some weight to control it. And high blood sugar can cause neuro damage

My blood sugar was high 286 , it is because to eating too much sweets during Benzo depression. I'm trying to lose some weight to control it. And high blood sugar can cause neuro damage

Was your A1C at 286. Or one time after eating a bunch of carbs/sugars it was 286?

Was your A1C at 286. Or one time after eating a bunch of carbs/sugars it was 286?

No one time at hospital, but I did few sugar test at home which showed 200 -250 , so I'm treating myself as diabetic

No one time at hospital, but I did few sugar test at home which showed 200 -250 , so I'm treating myself as diabetic

How many carbs and sugars did you eat when it was 200 to 250? So a random glucose test in the hospital showed 286?  Do you remember how long it had been since you ate before they took that?

How many carbs and sugars did you eat when it was 200 to 250? So a random glucose test in the hospital showed 286?  Do you remember how long it had been since you ate before they took that?

I don't know my calorie count, just eating less than before.

I ate approximately 2 or 2 1/2  hr before test

Oh wow!  Yeah that’s really high then!  My PCP said as long as it doesn’t hit 300 one hour after eating, to continue eating how I do. But your sugars should’ve been back down to like 90’s after two hours. I have a continuous glucose monitor to mange mine now that I’m aware they go up and down. Mine have hit higher than 240 but that’s with only 30g of carbs and sugars together so I try to keep it at that. Do you check regularly?

Oh wow!  Yeah that’s really high then!  My PCP said as long as it doesn’t hit 300 one hour after eating, to continue eating how I do. But your sugars should’ve been back down to like 90’s after two hours. I have a continuous glucose monitor to mange mine now that I’m aware they go up and down. Mine have hit higher than 240 but that’s with only 30g of carbs and sugars together so I try to keep it at that. Do you check regularly?

I think you are wrong , generally doctor recommends testing blood sugar 2 hr after eating as blood sugar is highest during that period. It shouldn't cross 200 .

I don't check regularly as I don't have machine ,will buy it soon

General census is it shouldn’t be above 200 two hours after eating (unless you are Diabetic) I was just stating for me, my PCP told me not to worry about it as long as it doesn’t hit 300 an hour after eating. One hour after eating is when blood sugar peaks. So she doesn’t want it to peak to 300. One of my other issues is severe weight loss so she wants me to put weight on that’s also a reason why her number is 300 one hour after eating for me. I lost 40lbs and was only 120 to begin with. So I’ve got some weight I need to put on.

Have either of you done a glucose challenge test to see the results you get with that test?

I keep asking for this.

I have not. I just use my glucose monitor and my doctor runs my A1C. Ultimately the A1C is what really matters. As long as it’s under 7 you should be fine but they like it under 5.7

General census is it shouldn’t be above 200 two hours after eating (unless you are Diabetic) I was just stating for me, my PCP told me not to worry about it as long as it doesn’t hit 300 an hour after eating. One hour after eating is when blood sugar peaks. So she doesn’t want it to peak to 300. One of my other issues is severe weight loss so she wants me to put weight on that’s also a reason why her number is 300 one hour after eating for me. I lost 40lbs and was only 120 to begin with. So I’ve got some weight I need to put on.

Ohhhh I thought highest peek is after 2 hour , my bad

Yes mine was 5.3 in mid Sept., but that was before I was given versed at my colonoscopy!

I honestly have not been the same since.

I've have gained back almost 10 lbs, but I'm eating way less than I was before?

I hardly eat enough in calories to gain weight.

I'm just so confused?

You had a continuous monitor put in ?

did you need anesthetic for that?

every time I eat I get headaches, little every time

I asked the ER in August, but they didn't know!

I'm just so tired of all this and I've still got years to taper probably!

My kids will be grown by the time I'm better

I did just see that my prolactin was  39.9!!!

not sure what that means!

Yes mine was 5.3 in mid Sept., but that was before I was given versed at my colonoscopy!

I honestly have not been the same since.

I've have gained back almost 10 lbs, but I'm eating way less than I was before?

I hardly eat enough in calories to gain weight.

I'm just so confused?

You had a continuous monitor put in ?

did you need anesthetic for that?

every time I eat I get headaches, little every time

I asked the ER in August, but they didn't know!

I'm just so tired of all this and I've still got years to taper probably!

My kids will be grown by the time I'm better

I did just see that my prolactin was  39.9!!!

not sure what that means!

I stuck the continuous glucose monitor in myself. It’s called freestyle libre. It’s a sensor with a needle on it that you stick in your skin that measures your glucose levels. I change it out every 14 days. It’s very easy to stick in and also remove. You barely even feel it. You want to trade??? Lol  I will gladly take some of your weight!!!  I can’t seem to put any on!!!

that was me before the colonoscopy, I was down to 121 from my high of 147.

Now I'm 127 to 130 for no reason though, I'm eating less.

Anyway, I'd forgotten about that prolactin level being so high, now I'm worried!!

I always have something to worry about these days.

Oh, the continuous monitors they put in in Canada are good for 5 years, but have to be done under anesthetic etc.

Winnie

I wish!!!  I would definitely go under to have one stay in for 5 years!!!  It’s probably way more accurate as well! Here in the US we don’t have that option.  Prolactin is produced by hormones. Like blood sugars are. And hormones are all whacked out during this time. I don’t think too much prolactin can cause any serious issues. Or at least I hope not for your sake!  I’m sorry your colonoscopy caused all of this. I hope it settles for you soon!  In the mean time you can probably get a finger stick glucose monitor over the counter for cheap and check it until your doctor gets you to run an A1C.

I have one of those, actually two of them!

I'll have to start using it again!

Too much to keep track of!

Too much prolactin can mean a pituitary tumor, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that!

But it might also explain my engorged breasts!! Literally like Dolly Parton, again, new since colonoscopy, before they were flapjacks, as I had a mammogram etc. But with the high prolactin, it produces breastmilk!!!! WTF!!

I so done with this!!!