I got the covid vaccine

[Je...]

Hello all. I just wanted to stop by and share my experience in case it helps anyone here. I got the covid vaccine yesterday at 8 AM, so almost 30 hours ago. First of all, I do not regret getting it. I work in the medical field and come face to face with covid patients almost daily. It has been over 10 months since my last klonopin.

The arm pain is real but not unbearable. Tetanus shots are definitely worse. I was super tired all day yesterday, fatigue is listed as a normal side effect. I’m having some intermittent pains in my head that come and go, but again, it’s bearable. The worst of it is there has been some anxiety since I got it. I woke up in the middle of the night with my heart racing and it still is, but again, this is nothing I haven’t been through before in withdrawals. And honestly, that’s it. Seems pretty run of the mill for any vaccine. I walked into it terrified, but knew that I wanted it. I respect everyone’s decision as to whether they want to get it or not and by no means am I trying to sway anyone’s decision. I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone is thinking about it. Y’all take care!

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Ta...]

• [or...]

• [Ma...]

I am so happy for you and thank you for posting! My mom volunteers in a hospital and got it last Thursday. She isn’t recovering from benzos, but said her symptoms were mild too. Headache and soreness at the injection site.

Glad to hear frontline workers are getting vaccinated. My daughter got hers last week with no side effects...which is good because she had a 12 hour shift at the hospital that night. Second shot on January 12.  :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing Jenniferr. As soon as it's available for sale to younger populations (52 here), I think I'll get it. I must confess I'm scared of a vaccine that has been tested for such a short period, but I'm even more scared of Covid19 disease as I've seen very severe cases of people my age and younger. I'll follow this thread in case more people decide to share their experiences with the vaccines.

Thank you for posting this!  I know this is something I am struggling with.  Just after starting benzodiazepine I needed multiple tests in the hospital. I am allergic to contrast and was given a high dose of Benadryl and immediately went into tachycardia.  The next round I was given prednisone and again tachycardia followed by depressed breathing for two weeks.  I am so worried about another adverse reaction that I have been waiting this out. 

With that said, I do know how important the vaccine is, so I plan to have it when it becomes available.

Thank you all for replying. I guess I should have gone a little more in depth. Since my benzo journey, I went from a person who had no trouble with any medication, to someone who is now allergic to penicillin, sulfa, and cipro. I have had countless adverse reactions to others, including tachycardia to prednisone and other steroids. I am terrified of taking anything new, but I knew for me this vaccine needed to happen. It scared me because it is new, but I did a lot of reading up on it and talked to a couple of the doctors I work with. Even though the vaccine is new, the technology has been around for over 10 years, mainly used in cancer patients to help shrink tumors. This is just the first opportunity that has arisen for it to be used in a vaccine. They were also working on a vaccine for SARS Covid-1 years ago when the SARS outbreak occurred, so they did have a good foundation to start with, it wasn’t exactly from square 1. It’s now been almost 48 hours. My arm pain is already gone. I did wake up tired this morning and with a mild dull headache but nothing that a nap won’t fix later. Several other that I know that had theirs more than a week ago mostly said by day 3 all side effect symptoms were gone so I am looking forward to tomorrow to see how it goes. Thank you all again, please believe I am with you all when it comes to fear of the vaccine. But I’m also one of the ones that had been up close and personal with covid patients and seen the effects of not just how the virus has worked on them but also what the families are going through. Getting the vaccine is a personal decision and I will respect them all, but keep in mind the risks/benefits. We will all get through this

Jenniferrr,

Thank you so much for your reply.  It makes me feel much better knowing you had similar experiences with medications and yet you forged ahead, I will do the same. Please keep us all updated on your progress and thank you for "serving others" during this very difficult time. Surviving benzodiazepines and putting yourself at risk really speaks volumes about who you are. 

Thank you all for replying. I guess I should have gone a little more in depth. Since my benzo journey, I went from a person who had no trouble with any medication, to someone who is now allergic to penicillin, sulfa, and cipro. I have had countless adverse reactions to others, including tachycardia to prednisone and other steroids. I am terrified of taking anything new, but I knew for me this vaccine needed to happen. It scared me because it is new, but I did a lot of reading up on it and talked to a couple of the doctors I work with. Even though the vaccine is new, the technology has been around for over 10 years, mainly used in cancer patients to help shrink tumors. This is just the first opportunity that has arisen for it to be used in a vaccine. They were also working on a vaccine for SARS Covid-1 years ago when the SARS outbreak occurred, so they did have a good foundation to start with, it wasn’t exactly from square 1. It’s now been almost 48 hours. My arm pain is already gone. I did wake up tired this morning and with a mild dull headache but nothing that a nap won’t fix later. Several other that I know that had theirs more than a week ago mostly said by day 3 all side effect symptoms were gone so I am looking forward to tomorrow to see how it goes. Thank you all again, please believe I am with you all when it comes to fear of the vaccine. But I’m also one of the ones that had been up close and personal with covid patients and seen the effects of not just how the virus has worked on them but also what the families are going through. Getting the vaccine is a personal decision and I will respect them all, but keep in mind the risks/benefits. We will all get through this

Jeniferrr,

Thank you for your very detailed post. Thank you so much for your work in the Frontlines.

The Covid 19 vaccine is a subject that is on my mind daily because I did not do well with the regular flu vaccine I got in October 2020.

I had, had a flu vaccine pre benzos with zero issues. I felt confident that I would have zero issues, especially since I was 19 months out from my last benzo and I was doing really well. I thought I would be writing a success story for Christmas.

Well, the flu vaccine gave me the typical flu like symptoms that many people get, but unfortunately it did not end there. The night I got it, I woke up at 3am with severe vertigo. I felt like I was going to pass out. I was so weak. My husband had to walk me to the bathroom. The next day these symptoms continued, and unfortunately they continued well beyond the 2-3 days that flu vaccine symptoms last. There were some people here on BB that suggested that it was an ingredient that I was sensitive to in the flu vaccine, but I know it was not. The pharmacist gave me a "stripped down" version of it.

I could tell it was my immune system being "fired up" (like a vaccine is supposed to do) because I could feel the "flu like" symptoms. Ufortunately a "fired up" immune system is not something my CNS can handle right now.

The set back lasted 2 months. It brought back one of my WD symptoms that was gone for 9 months that I thought was gone for good, which was debilitating vertigo. I couldn't lay flat in the bed etc. Feeling a bit of doom followed. I was having problems walking. I could not drive. These were things that were gone for 9 months before the flu vaccine. Other people on BB suggested a coincidental wave. I know they mean well. I wish that was the case. Then I would not be thinking that my CNS is still too sensitive for meds and such. It was not a coincidental wave. I had not had a wave for months.

With this setback I also got tachycardia that landed me in the ER.

There are many people here on BB that have gotten the regular flu vaccine with zero issues. I just was not so lucky.

This is a very scary subject for me, and of course for many, many other people. I want to take the Covid vaccine, but I don't know. And, the other crazy thing is that you have to get it twice.

I have the fortunate situation of working from home as well as my spouse. We don't have kids. We see no one. We do all curbside. We wear masks. Our "outings" are walks in the park, away from people. We live in a small town of about 1500 in rural America. My husband and I don't mind this way of living. We feel lucky we can do this.

I have been met with what feels like "bullying" not here on Benzo Buddies, but on other social media with people guilting those who can't take this covid vaccine because of medical reasons.

What a mess. I guess if my neighbors start getting it and it gets so very very much worse (Yes, I get that this next month or so will be bad). I mean if it's ripping through my neighborhood, I'm going to have to make a hard decision. I'm also 50, so not even sure when I'd be able to get it anyway.

We know people who have got Covid. Mostly fever for days. We've seen 70 & 80 year olds survive it, but we also know people in their 40's who struggled with difficulty breathing. One had an 02 sat of 82% !! He refused to go to the hospital because he did not want to end up on a vent. He's pulling through, but very slowly. I know Covid is serious.

I feel like the world is crazy & I have to turn it off. I can't watch it every day. But, I'm definitely watching here on BB for those who get this covid vaccine and how they do with it.

I understand your situation. You work with Covid patients.

We pray everyday that it is effective and safe.

We pray everyday for Frontline workers like you.

Please keep us updated.

Miss Fortitude,

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience with the flu shot. It’s unfortunate how our bodies react with benzo withdrawal. I just wanted to get my experience out there. It’s a personal choice that everyone has to decide for themselves. If my experience with it can help someone here make a decision that’s great. But I do completely understand if someone chooses not to get it. Best of luck to you!

Jenniferr: Oh this is great - thank you! I think many members are concerned not just about how regular ppl respond to the vaccine - but how it affects those of us in recovery!

Like you I seem to be very med sensitive and many things go paradoxical on me for now ( I hope in time this will change). I've done the research on the vaccine and I'm actually at ease with the science and composition of it.

I had covid about a month ago and it was no joke. I'm doing pretty good right now.

I will be starting back to work soon in a hospital, so I know I will have to get the vaccine and am ok with that.

But it is so reassuring to  get a positive vaccine report from a fellow benzo recovery member (who is also med sensitive).  :thumbsup:

Trina, Biggie congratulations on your new job!  This is a turning point in your journey through benzo withdrawal, and I pray you will find great satisfaction in this new endeavor :smitten:

Thanks, Jennifer for all the good information on a topic that many of us have been reading and worrying about.  My doctor assured me that I should have little to no adverse reaction, but I am going to wait for a while to get it....til I am a little farther down the road in my withdrawal. 

Trina, Biggie congratulations on your new job!  This is a turning point in your journey through benzo withdrawal, and I pray you will find great satisfaction in this new endeavor :smitten:

awe thanks! I can't stare at 4 walls anymore lol..so I'll just figure out the waves.. ::)

Oh this is great to read, Jeniferrr!  I will repeat what everyone has said, thank you so much for sharing your experience with the covid vaccine.  Keep us updated!  :smitten:

Why take that vaccine ?  It is poison from BIG Pharma !  Didn't hear about the people who died or got very sick from this .

It contains many poisonous ingredients ,  no way for me  !   

Hi Jennifer,  thank you so much for sharing your experience, Im very glad you are feeling ok after covid vaccine.  It's very important for us to know people's experiences and be able to make up our mind about what to do. I've been very hesitant about getting any vaccines and have been watching a lot of things to educate myself about covid vaccine. I just came across this video on FB that I think some people might want to watch before considering this vaccination, especially being in benzo wd. Its very controversial but I think as people who have been hurt by allopathic medicine already, we need to be extra cautious  before we put anything into our bodies. So i just wanted to share this for information purposes, FB is not the greatest source of information but you can still find some useful things on there) I'm sure most people would have no issues with this vaccine too but im currently in a severe antibiotics setback from azithromycin, it's been 8 months and unfortunately Im nowhere near close to being done so I have to weigh all pros and cons.

Edit: Removed link.

Hi Jennifer,  thank you so much for sharing your experience, Im very glad you are feeling ok after covid vaccine.  It's very important for us to know people's experiences and be able to make up our mind about what to do. I've been very hesitant about getting any vaccines and have been watching a lot of things to educate myself about covid vaccine. I just came across this video on FB that I think some people might want to watch before considering this vaccination, especially being in benzo wd. Its very controversial but I think as people who have been hurt by allopathic medicine already, we need to be extra cautious  before we put anything into our bodies. So i just wanted to share this for information purposes, FB is not the greatest source of information but you can still find some useful things on there) I'm sure most people would have no issues with this vaccine too but im currently in a severe antibiotics setback from azithromycin, it's been 8 months and unfortunately Im nowhere near close to being done so I have to weigh all pros and cons.

KathyM,

I have removed the link you provided, we don't allow conspiracy theories or misinformation concerning Covid on the forum.  Dr Larry Palevsky advises his patients not get the measles vaccine, he's an anti-vaxer and he's dangerous.

Pamster

KathyM, I fully appreciate your concerns as I have had plenary of setbacks due to antibiotics and lots of other things. I too am terrified of anything new entering my body. I have done lots of research on my own. But I do agree with Pamster, be careful of what you watch on Facebook, especially with anti vaxxers. They are misinformed and can be dangerous. I do encourage everyone to do research on their own but please make sure it is legitimate sources. I am now 5 days past my initial dose of the covid vaccine and I feel back to my normal self. Arm pain and fatigue have been gone for two days. I know I am lucky that I had minimal effects and plan on posting again after my second dose of the vaccine. I’ve heard that one will be rougher but I’m still moving forward with it as I’ve seen too many patients with long term effects from covid so for me personally, I’m having to weigh out the risks and benefits. And for me, I can take a few bad days vs getting this virus. But I do understand the people that aren’t willing to get it. I do wish you the best

Its ok that you've removed the link, I really don't know who this doctor is, but I thought he provided a few valid and good points about how one needs to be careful with Covid vaccine.

Jennifer, I hope I didn't make you feel bad about getting your vaccine, it sounds like you are a frontliner and you really need it, in your case benefits definitely outweigh any risks, the link was more for those people like myself who are either in the thick of withdrawal, unable to work, in a setback from just another drug( antibiotic in my case) so sensitive to everything they can't tolerate aspirin let alone a new unknown vaccine. I really hope you do well with the second vaccine also, and like most people who do just fine with the flu shot and other shots will be ok after. I'm definitely not an anti-vaxer myself, I happen to be a nurse too, and I just recovered from covid ( it took 3 weeks, 5 sessions of IV vitamin infusions and one session of ozone therapy and UBVI) so unfortunately I know first hand how dangerous covid is, I really didn't think I wasn't going to make it but thank God I did..So I just think people who are in the thick of withdrawal need to be extra careful with anything they put in their bodies, and shouldn't be the first ones to get this vaccine before lots of other people go out and get it and we know what side effects it could possibly have.

And our dear administrators, I really admire you for all the hard work you do to help our benzo community, and I always thought that you do a wonderful job at it, but honestly I don't quite understand your pro-vaccine stance in this case. I mean this is a brand new rMRNa vaccine, that has a potential of interfering with one's DNA, and it's definitely not well studied enough for somebody who is in withdrawal to rush to get this vaccine. Sorry if I'm wrong but I almost get a sense from reading a few posts about this vaccine now that you are telling people it's ok and to go ahead with it, maybe I got the wrong impression. We've just already been harmed by other things that big Pharma came out with that we thought were absolutely safe too before, and here we are .. almost 3 years later in my case still suffering very badly.. I mean Pfizer is big Pharma, they are the original producers of Zoloft if  I'm not mistaken aren't they? Anyways, sorry I didn't mean to start an argument, I'm just really sick and probably won't be the first one to go get a vaccine is what I'm trying to say..

Edit/bold font by Challis: DNA is not affected.  Please read this from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html