Need oral antifungals for toenails, as beyond the point of topical

[jo...]

My toenails are a mess, they are fungal and topical antifungals will not work on them.

I need oral antifungals, yet I keep hearing on here NOT to take them.

This is why I have let my toenails get into such a mess.

Is there any alternative to badly fungal toenails that will not mess up my taper?

I have to sort out my toenails.

Thanks

Prior to all this, when I hadn't taken a benzo, I had successfully used oil of oregano to deal with toenail fungal infection I picked up from the gym!

Just dabbed a bit onto a cottenball and rubbed onto infected area, did that for a week or so and it cleared it up.

Prior to all this, when I hadn't taken a benzo, I had successfully used oil of oregano to deal with toenail fungal infection I picked up from the gym!

Just dabbed a bit onto a cottenball and rubbed onto infected area, did that for a week or so and it cleared it up.

Hi thanks for your reply.

These toenails are so bad, the two big ones need to come off, they stopped growing, but under the base of the nail is several layers of regrowth on the left, and the right one stopped growing.

The others are yellow and thick, so a systemic anti fungal is the only way for the other nails and as for the big ones I think they need to come off.

I will have to see a foot doctor and ask for a drug that does not mess with Benzos. All I have read form here is to stay away from antifungals but I need them. x

Can it be easier to remove the nail? Antifungal medications are very toxic and need to be taken for a very long time. This is another way to poison yourself.

Can it be easier to remove the nail? Antifungal medications are very toxic and need to be taken for a very long time. This is another way to poison yourself.

I know two of the nails will need removing, and I accept that, however as for the fungal nails that don't or may not need removing, what alternative can I use to get rid of the thickened nails and yellow fungi?

The toes are in a really bad state.

Thanks

I have read that essential oils such as Manuka can help. Maybe worth looking into?

I cant send a photo on here but if I did you would see that my toenails are beyond the point of topical application, but thanks.

Is the oral antifungal a one-time deal?  Or will you have to take it regularly for a while? 

I did not take any oral antifungals, but I did have issues with creams and ointments.  My experience was that the first time I used them, they were okay, and maybe even helped.  But each consecutive time I used them, I would get slightly more ill, ending with nausea, vomiting,  extreme anxiety, and basically they were start to flare up a bunch of benzo withdrawal symptoms.  But, like I said, the first time I took them, things were not so bad.

I know we're in the middle of a pandemic . . . but I saw my dermatologist last week. The practice is very focused on keeping patients safe. I'm only mentioning this as an example. What about seeing a podiatrist? Surely they will take similar precautions. I had to have 2 toenails removed during my taper. Both big toenails. At different times. They were causing me a lot of trouble. I bet a podiatrist could help you with the "undernail" situation also. If it were me, I'd start phoning around. My podiatrist painted sthg on my toenails that killed the nail bed so the nails didn't grow back all deformed. They just . . . didn't grow back. You get used to it.

Arnold53 is right -- oral antifungals are very hard on the system and do have to be taken for a long time. I had to take oral metronidazole once and it was very hard on my gut. 

Best to you,

Katz

Is the oral antifungal a one-time deal?  Or will you have to take it regularly for a while? 

I did not take any oral antifungals, but I did have issues with creams and ointments.  My experience was that the first time I used them, they were okay, and maybe even helped.  But each consecutive time I used them, I would get slightly more ill, ending with nausea, vomiting,  extreme anxiety, and basically they were start to flare up a bunch of benzo withdrawal symptoms.  But, like I said, the first time I took them, things were not so bad.

I don't know, my two big toenails will need to come off, and the nail bed also, as for the others, they are thick and yellow so I may need a long course of them, however this is not a medical opinion.

" nausea, vomiting,  extreme anxiety, and basically they were start to flare up a bunch of benzo withdrawal symptoms" that sounds horrible.

Imagine what pills would do?

This is why I want to know if there is an alternative pill, I vomited up a 15mg dose once and that caused me to have an autistic meltdown as I didnt know whether that large a missed dose would mess me up and prescribers were not prepared to replace puked up dose.

To solve the problem I need removal of two big toenails and a cure for the fungi and nail thickness on the other affected toes, I want that cure to be something that doesn't mess up my taper.

I know two of the nails will need removing, and I accept that, however as for the fungal nails that don't or may not need removing, what alternative can I use to get rid of the thickened nails and yellow fungi?

Thanks

Perhaps kanespor or varnishes.

Thanks

Thanks for your post, however I mentioned above that my nails are beyond the point of topical application, they need a systematic remedy, two of them need to come off.

Perhaps kanespor or varnishes.