Re: Ativan to Valium substitution advice

[ju...]

i am on 1.625mg of ativan  i dose every 4 hours at 0,25mg  except at midnight i take 0.375mg    so i take 7 doses a day

8am.0.25mg

12pm.0.25mg

4pm.0.25mg

8pm.0.25mg

12am.0.375mg

4am.0.25mg       

then the cycle repeats itself i have been taking the ativan like this for about 5 years  i would very much like to switch over to valium  i tryed once but my doctor just straight up switched me over and i was cutting the 5mg pills into 4ths  and only taking a 4th at a time which was my fault i should have been taking a half of a pill needles to say it did not go well and i went back on the ativan within 24 hours      but i want off and have been wanting off for years i could just never bring my self to do it after a rapid 60 day taper my doctor put me on ..  because it was pretty bad but 2021 is a new year and i now have  a new doctor so i  am hoping i can cross over sometime with the next few months .... any advice to me  ?

Wow, 7 times a day, I don't think I've even seen that many before, no wonder you want to make the switch.  Since you're going to a new Dr, would you consider crossing over to liquid Diazepam, that would kill two birds with one stone, you could make the cross and have an easier taper with no worrying about cutting pills or making a liquid yourself. 

i dont know if i can get liquid valium  i am not sure there is a compound pharmacy near me  . i also dose that many times because i do not like taking a whole 0.5mg  it makes me kinda of tired a loopy and i never liked that..  but i also noticed i only do well with the watson or mylan brands also    i switched to leading onced and it was terrible thoses are sugar pills  but i was lucky enough to find that cvs carrys watson all the time so i stick with cvs  i have to introduce my new dr to the ashton manuel and have here read it the updated version and i am going to take it from there i will probably she here in the spring time

For your information, Diazepam comes in liquid form from the manufacturer.  https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov

If you don't care for taking a larger dose of Ativan because it makes you feel tired you may find Valium to be uncomfortable since it has a sedating effect many members complain about.  But if you do make the switch, at least you can get the 2 mg pills making reductions easier. 

Your new Dr may feel you're on a low enough dose of Ativan that you could just stop taking it, I hope you'll be able to convince her/him that you would like to taper lower.

ok thank you i did not know that and my new doctor  is a pa-c    not an md or do    she is very receptive and she knows about my failed taper because my old dr did it to fast  i believe she is a great listener and open to ideas  but i will soon find out  she knows i am very benzo smart  she even said so lol  so i will teach her the ways and make her a better primary care

I'm glad to hear you have someone who listens, that's huge!  Please let us know how it goes, hearing others experiences helps me learn so I can help others.