Poor memory and cognition support

[Ha...]

Hi buddies,

I want to start a support group for those of us who are tapering, or have tapered or withdrawn, off benzos and whose most troublesome symptoms have to do with memory and cognition.  I have other symptoms, too, most notably anxiety and insomnia, but the problems with memory and cognition really get in the way and are so very scary.  I have heard from a few buddies that this is their worst problem too. 

Can we start a group to support each other? Let's be there for each other and reassure each other we will get through this together.  Let's share the problems we are experiencing, as well as any healing or improvement we have along the way.

Hoping to hear from some other buddies, and I'm always glad to get any reassurance from those who have been there and seen the other side, too.

Haimona

Hello Haimona,

Congratulations on you progress!!  I also am suffering with the same side effects as you.  I have found that clean eating and eliminating caffeine has helped.  I also stay away from TV with violence etc., watch cooking and reality TV to avoid stimulation.  I take B12, a low dose vitamin D supplement and a probiotic daily, this seems to help.

Thank you for starting this thread, we all need support.  I can’t wait to be on the other side of this.

Hi Seasalt,

Thanks for your reply!  I am hearing again and again about the importance of a clean diet for functioning well in general, and for cognitive wellness in particular, during the taper process.  I am really taking a hard look now at my own diet and seeing how I can make changes to improve this for myself.  I also started taking a fish oil supplement that was recommended by another buddie, and already am noticing that it seems to be helping! (I started taking it about four days ago).  I also make sure I eat fish a few times a week for vitamin B12 and other nutrients. 

The other thing that has been huge for me is exercise.  I go for a good walk almost every day now, and it makes a big difference. It's one of the most reliable factors I can count on to improve my mental well-being, or at the very least my mood.

I can't wait to be on the other side of this either! Every time I get even a very small window, I try to treat it as a glimpse of what will be on the other side.

Let's keep supporting each other through this.

Haimona

Can I ask if you had an adverse reaction when you started the fish oil?  I have been sensitive to all supplements and medications.  I had to take infant doses and work my way up to a normal dose.  Have you had adverse reactions to medication or certain foods?

I have not been exercising, based on your comments I am going to give it a try.  I am still working full time so I am taking the taper slow so I can tolerate the symptoms.  I feel fatigue often do the motivation to exercise is tough. 

I would love to stay in touch through the process, can never have enough support!  Best of luck..

I have not had any problem with the Fish Oil so far; I'm taking the Nordic Naturals brand "Ultimate Omega D3" variety, as recommended by another buddie on here.  I have had issues with some supplements in the past, including being very sensitive to B12 in supplement form, which is why I'm trying to get it from fish instead now (I eat mostly plant-based otherwise).  I am also allergic to some foods, so I have to read the ingredient lists carefully.  Everyone is so individual, I definitely don't blame you for being cautious -- maybe if you want to try it, take one capsule at first instead of the recommended 2 capsules. 

I totally get the slow taper because I work full time too, and I have to be able to function at work (which is one of the reasons the cognitive problems are so frustrating).  I started out just walking even ten minutes at night and now I aim for a minimum of 20-30 minutes walking, and many days I walk for 45 minutes or an hour now. I like walking because all you need is a pair of good sneakers or walking shoes, no fancy equipment and no need to go to a gym (especially now!). I always feel better after I walk.  I sleep better, too, which is a big deal.

Definitely stay in touch and you can always message me if you need support.  We will get through this together!

Haimona

• 4 weeks later...

Haimona,

How are you?  I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (thyroid).  Not sure if my sensitivities are coming from the disease or the taper.  My low levels of the B12 were an indication that something more was going on. 

I avoid all grains now, this has helped.  You may want to give this a shot and see if it improves some of your symptoms.  I believe now that some of mine were from the thyroid issue I have. Just thought I would throw it out there in case it helps you too.

How are you doing with your taper?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Seasalt,

I have definitely had my ups and downs since my last post on this thread.  I had almost a solid week of window at the end of January, in which I felt almost like my old self (I still couldn't remember things that had happened during the fog, but could remember from one day within the window to another pretty well, almost like before); then the fog descended again and now I am almost despairing again.  I haven't cut since December 11th since I can't get stable. 

How are you doing? Are you feeling better since getting diagnosed and treated for Hashimoto's disease?

Last time I had a full checkup I had my thyroid tested and it was normal. 

I did really well with my diet for a while (I even went gluten free for almost two weeks to see if it would help), but am struggling with that again.  When my symptoms are this bad, it's hard not to feel like "what's the point?" of eating healthy.  But I still am going for walks most days.

I hope you are feeling better and doing well.

Haimona

I’m doing ok.  The Dr. is not treating the thyroid as I am within normal range at the moment.  I held my dose last week and have been feeling not so good.  I did however cut my dose today.  Just trying to stay strong..

I want to reassure you that it gets better.

My memory was absolutely terrible and my cognition disturbingly poor too. Nowadays, both seem better than ever. It's all related, the insomnia and anxiety feeds these symptoms and these symptoms feed the insomnia and anxiety. So the best thing you can do is seek out reassurance and try not to worry about it too much as you ride it out. That seems to be exactly what you're doing.  :)

Take it easy as much as you can. There will be plenty of time to challenge yourself down the line.

• 3 weeks later...

My housemate is BP and has Aspergers Syndrome too. His memory is so bad that its hardly worth telling him anything

He's 60.

Is there any connection between bad memory and the above conditions?

Thanks