Sitting in your car or truck really helps with physical anxiety

[Ni...]

My friend who suffers from PAWS says it really helps her physical anxiety when she's in her truck pressing her back against the back of the seat and her feet onto the floor.

Hope this helps somebody.

Hello, I do the same when I feel my anxiety is coming on. I get in a sitting or lying position and alternate my hands, arms, feet, ankles, legs, stomach, chest and tense then relax all those body parts. I repeat several times until I calm down and feel better. All that energy builds up in our body parts and gets trap. This exercise releases all that pent up energy that gets trap in our body.

Mark

My friend who suffers from PAWS says it really helps her physical anxiety when she's in her truck pressing her back against the back of the seat and her feet onto the floor.

I did that, too. You can also stand in front of a wall and press the hands against it with the hole body leaning against the wall. As soon as we use the full weight and strength of the body, stress relief happens.

Or you can practice something like these exercises in which you tighten and release muscles (like Jacoben's muscle tension training) - that's the same principle. If you then use the breathing at the same time - perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. Sitting in my car helps my anxiety as well (so long as I do it at the park or some natural setting). Driving (with no traffic) calms me as well for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...
When anxiety hits me, I also like to sit in my SUV. If I dont feel capable to drive, my boyfriend will hop in and we'll go for a ride. Looking at everything from inside the car makes me feel safe but also distracted at the same time. I also meditate while we're on the road... unless I'm the one driving  :P