Holiday C/T.....Finally ready to celebrate

[Do...]

Hello my fellow travelers.  Yep, I c/t’d Dec 2018 ignorantly thinking I would be at least functioning by Christmas and the new year???  The only memories I have of that period are ones of extreme physical and mental pain.  Wow...You guys know the rest of that story.

My one-year mark was disappointing....but hopeful.  I had made huge gains with both mental and physical healing.  But honestly, I was distressed that I continued to suffer with some cog fog, cortisol surges, intense anxiety, vertigo and hyperacusis.  My physical pain had subsided other than random body shocks in different organs and muscles.  The only new sx that popped up was tinnitus in month 14.  Joy...nothing like a little screaming in the ears while trying to drift off to sleep.

Today, I am doing really well. I have mild tinnitus, infrequent vertigo and some anxiety and buzzing. Very mild.  I should be disappointed that I am not healed 100%.  It’s quite the opposite.  I am so grateful and a little surprised that I survived this neuro injury.  I was 57 when I jumped off the cliff.  At 59, there’s no more looking back.  It’s painful and even triggering to do so.

My one piece of advice:  No matter where you are at in this process, give yourself credit every day for what you endured or accomplished. No matter how small...celebrate that day you walked to the mailbox. Never stop telling yourself that this is temporary.  Notice what has improved even if new sxs have popped up.  Kudos to yourself every hour....every day.  Look around at the people in your life.  Imagine if they had to deal with your sxs for a week.  Believe me, they would be running to the ER or the psych ward.  This takes incredible strength, perseverance and self-compassion.  As lame as it sounds, selfie hugs gotta be a tool in your kit.     

Happy Holidays Everybody!!

Upon further thought, I am posting this in Success stories.  I almost put in benzo free celebs. ….but I may be one of those who never makes it back here to post their story.   

Love to All and Thank You BB for guiding me thru my journey.

Hi DoveLuv, 

It's wonderful to 'see' you again, I'm so happy to hear how much you've improved and how grateful you are.  I'm glad you put your story in success stories because you are a success.  I know you'll continue to improve, my gratitude to be well again kept growing well past when I wrote my story.

Pamster

You are most definitely a success! Thanks for posting here and reminding our members just how strong and caring they are, helping others while in withdrawal themselves. 

Happy Holidays to you!

pianogirl  :smitten:

Dove: You have been a lifeline for me some days with your encouraging words in my threads - thank you.

It is encouraging to see your progress, a sober reminder that this takes time - but that it is possible!

I hope you will do a follow up next December so we can see what another year can do for your journey.

Thank you for the inspiration.. :smitten:

Thanks all.

Pamster, I remember when you came back to the forum.  I think I was around 9 months into the c/t.  You really helped change the tone of the forum.  I will always appreciate your voice.  You too Trina.

This forum has a wealth of information and links to other resources.  I did not have one medical provider or family member to support and guide me along.  The Ashton manual led me to BB which guided me to BIC.  I don't think I woulda survived without the support and excellent resources.  Of course there is the down side....try to manage how much time you spend filling your brain with fear.

I look at this stage of my injury like a compound fracture.  The bone doc says you are good to go but when ya run up the hill or stairs, ya still know it's there.  But it works fine.

Doveluv

Wow...what an achievement. This process really can bring the strongest people to their knees, it truly is a testament of will power, we really do find ourselves and who are friends are.

Keep fighting the fight.

Good luck and God be with you for evermore 🥰

Banana Man the Super Hero!

Fabulous post DL, and what a great way to start the new year.  So happy for you, well deserved.  Thank you so much for lending an ear and sharing your wisdom.  I will keep reminding myself what you said, "This is only temporary." 

Peace,

RR

Helli Dovelov

Thank you for posting your story, congratulations to you.    I am so glad you didn't wait longer, we need these wonderful success stories.  The lingering symptoms  might take a little longer but I am so pleased you are doing so well.  Thank you for your support to others, for being such a caring person    I think this is a great success story, and it will definitely help others.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday season, 

Magrita :smitten:

Congratulations to you! It's a wonderful success story. Thanks so much for posting it and for encouraging the rest of us. I wish you all the best.

• 2 weeks later...
love your positivity and strength. and especially love your name. can’t wait to be 2 years free! can’t wait to be 1 year! you inspire me.  :smitten:

Thanks for posting. I'm 56 years old, eighty days into a cold turkey off xanax. What a long strange trip it's been. If not for this site, I may not have had the strength. I know I will survive.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...