Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Which doses to cut?

[2c...]

I’m dry tapering Ativan.  When I started this last taper I was taking 0.5 mg-AM, 0.25 mg- midday, 0.5 mg-bedtime.

My first goal is to get my morning dose to 0.25 mg to match my midday. I am down to 0.41 mg. After that I’m not sure what the best plan is.  I know Ashton says that some will want to taper their bedtime dose last to keep their sleep pattern as long as they can but others might want to taper daily doses in which case I would possibly taper my bedtime dose to 0.25 after I get my AM to that.

So my question is this:

What have others been doing? Tapering a dose at a time all the way to 0 or tapering down each dose gradually and alternating cuts?

I haven’t taken Ativan but I did taper from Xanax, which, like Ativan, is short-acting. I would suggest continuing to cut from each dose rather than trying to get rid of any doses completely yet. I kept cutting each of my daily doses lower and lower until they were all very tiny ...then I started dropping doses.

2cats, I agree with Challis. If you cut out one of your doses you open yourself up to interdose withdrawal on the shorter acting benzos. It’s best to try to keep the doses even and chip away the same amount from each dose.

Challis & Kits

Thanks so much for your responses.  That was what I was thinking too.  I wanted to get some input. I’m tapering pretty slowly so I hope to lessen WD effects . They are not too bad yet but I’ve barely gotten started,